Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: New rig suggestions on a budget £350 rtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New rig suggestions on a budget £350 rtf

Hi ladies and gentlemen, I currently have an scx24, and an element enduro senders, now I want a stable mate for the enduro, I really like the idea of the trail runner, but the date for stock in the uk keeps getting further away, so tonight I started looking at other options, one thing I liked about the trail runner was the ifs would make it a very different beast to the element, whilst also giving me the ability of when out scrounging parts off each other to keep me going (although that’s just convenience). So tonight I have looked into the Gmade Komodo double cab (313 wb), the trx4sport (over budget currently), FTX highrock, Hobao dc1 (I think that’s right), and a few I have probably left out, these are all currently in stock at various uk suppliers, which leaves me wondering if they’re poor performers, everything Axial is out of stock, apart from the unimog, but that’s over budget (prices here in the uk are Much higher than over in the USA.

So out of those above, anyone able to help me with information like build quality, reliability, parts availability etc. I am not really a Traxxas fan if honest, so I’m happy to leave it off the list, oh, and mods wise, I will probably only worry about wheels and tyres, the rest will remain stock for a while.

Thank you all for any help and advice you can offer.

Element Sendero 1/10. Crawler/Trailer.
Scx24 crc. Crawler 1/24.
Wltoys a212. Shortcourse 1/24.
Wltoys k969. Drifty 1/28
Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New rig suggestions on a budget £350 rtf

Question is :Wha do you want to do with it ?? Trailriding or Rock climbing or full on crawling??

A used scx10 II in good nick is probably a god choice depending what comes with it.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent View Post
So out of those above, anyone able to help me with information like build quality, reliability, parts availability etc. I am not really a Traxxas fan if honest, so I’m happy to leave it off the list, oh, and mods wise, I will probably only worry about wheels and tyres, the rest will remain stock for a while.
TLDR: TRX-4 is the best choice on your list IMO. But it, drive it, replace the steering servo as it is junk when it goes (although mine is still going). All RTR electronics are sub par. Replace the ESC with the budget HW 1080 or go with the more expensive options of Mamba X or HW Axe setup.

For what is important to you, the Traxxas is actually the best on your list. I have never been a traxxas fan but I think that was mostly due to not ever looking into bashers. When I was racing SCT I was a Losi fan. I am also a big Axial fan. I only state this because of your statement about Traxxas. I get it, but when it comes to the TRX Traxxas, it is really one solid crawler that is durable with quality parts fit and finish as well having great parts availability stock and many aftermarket parts as well.

Axial being sold out is not an indicator that it is better. The pandemic wiped out a lot of RC stock all over the place. When it comes to the SCX10 III it was just released and during the pandemic. I think it is a great rig but I also think the initial sales got a boost because of the pandemic.

If you were able to look at an SCX10II vs a TRX I would say get the TRX. If you had the option of an SCX10III vs a TRX I would say they are pretty much on par with each other. For me the biggest difference is the Axial has the dig and the TRX has the unlocking diffs. The TRX also has more of a spread in speed between 1st and 2nd gear so if trailing is important the TRX is better IMO but for pure crawling they are both neck and neck IMO but I prefer the dig when pure crawling.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Question is :Wha do you want to do with it ?? Trailriding or Rock climbing or full on crawling??

A used scx10 II in good nick is probably a god choice depending what comes with it.

Yes I should have been clearer, my element is set up as a trail rider, this would be for the more complex places where, because the element is my (at least currently) stylised truck (zombie apocalypse). Whereas the new truck would probably be used to tackle all the things the element doesn’t do (or I don’t want it to do because it might wreck all my efforts in making it what I wanted it to be. The new truck would stay mostly stock and only get parts upgraded if or when the original breaks or fails. I am planning in the future to get a better transmitter and receivers for both trucks.

I guess you’d say I am after a crawler basher. A much more abused truck.

I hope that kinda makes some sense.

Mark

Element Sendero 1/10. Crawler/Trailer.
Scx24 crc. Crawler 1/24.
Wltoys a212. Shortcourse 1/24.
Wltoys k969. Drifty 1/28
Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent is offline   Reply With Quote

New rig suggestions on a budget £350 rtf - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ballin' on a budget, Transmission suggestions? xgerstandtx Axial Wraith 7 02-09-2013 04:43 PM
Need suggestions for a custom budget crawler trw General Crawlers 5 02-07-2006 09:11 PM