Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: TF2 Ride Height

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 03:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TF2 Ride Height

Building my first scale rig, TF2mojave, wanted to raise it up a bit to run larger tires than stock eventually. Got the 4 link and 3 link kits on it so far, but I’m trying to figure out shock lengths for the front and back. Can I go Str8 100mm front and back, or will they need to be different lengths to level out the ride. Also installing the gellande 2 front shock hoops and the body lift. Thanks!
Clemsoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TF2 Ride Height

Welcome to RCC! My TF2 is a very different and fun rig running leaf springs, nice and scale. Usually crawlers lower the ride height if anything and the TF2 is already kinda top heavy and tippy due to styrene body and even more so if you're running interior, rollbar, etc.

RTR come with 70mm length front, 90mm rear natural aluminum color shocks, I've got the Gelande shock hoops (same as Marlin front hoops) up front on mine (mine started as RTR with single speed tranny), original rear shocks (90mm) in the rear and mounted in outer most upper shock mount on the frame cross-member (helps reduce tipping). Marlin 80mm shocks up front.

Ride height with your linked setup can be adjusted however you like it, change upper/lower shock mounting points, longer/shorter shocks, and/or spring preload. IMO 100mm shocks are going to be way too long on this truck, I'd try starting out with the stock shocks and see how it is. Post some pictures would be nice too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I agree with Nate...

I’ve lowered all my tf2’s..., I find they’re a great scale truck and start looking off with larger tires/ shocks. Not that it can’t be done...
I’ve bought tera- flex and z-boxes/ old man emu 90mm shocks..., all wasted money.
I have my smaller hilux & lc70 on stock 70mm.... with all the diy mods and small tires; tons of flex imo.
The marlin and blazer runs 80mm, but lowered as much as possible. I can fit 4.2 tires on marlin but I prefer under 4” for scale looks.

Have fun modding and building...

https://youtu.be/eRid_DfcVRY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

I gotta agree with Natedog and lkvisser!

These rigs are top heavy and like to roll over quite often. Lowering them and running smaller tires really helps these out.

I'm currently running the stock wheels and tires on my Marlin. After all of my A&M Gargage upgrades and some mods here and there, it really crawls great. Even with the leaf springs it crawls almost as well as some of my linked rigs.

I mainly save my Marlin for more scale driving, but when I need it to do some more aggressive climbing, it really doesn't have much problem.

Name:  IMG_4720.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  167.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4921.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  182.4 KB
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I gotta agree with Natedog and lkvisser!

These rigs are top heavy and like to roll over quite often. Lowering them and running smaller tires really helps these out.

I'm currently running the stock wheels and tires on my Marlin. After all of my A&M Gargage upgrades and some mods here and there, it really crawls great. Even with the leaf springs it crawls almost as well as some of my linked rigs.

I mainly save my Marlin for more scale driving, but when I need it to do some more aggressive climbing, it really doesn't have much problem.

Attachment 390506

Attachment 390507
Nice truck, can that front bumper be purchased any where or is it custom made

Like the others I would leave the stock height. If you go a little bigger on the tires you could open up the wheel openings to gain a bit of clearance.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS View Post
Nice truck, can that front bumper be purchased any where or is it custom made

Like the others I would leave the stock height. If you go a little bigger on the tires you could open up the wheel openings to gain a bit of clearance.

Thanks!

It is made by A&M Garage. They sell other high quality TF2 upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote

TF2 Ride Height - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ride height? 73fordhighboy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-25-2010 07:33 PM
Ride Height kid rock EnRoute Berg 3 04-16-2009 12:27 PM
Ride height? abbott90 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 03-04-2009 10:32 AM
Ride height versus max height Manson Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 10-03-2008 01:26 PM
ride height the kid General Crawlers 5 02-07-2007 09:25 PM