Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Steel C channel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Steel C channel?

Does anyone have any idea where a guy could get his hands on some C channel? Like the size most scalers now days use for frame rails.... I've searched online and can't find diddly squat. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Wanting to stretch the chassis on a build.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steel C channel?

Have you considered cutting the chassis, and simply bolting in "extension pieces" on each side. Essentially, you'd end up with something similar to a customized version of an SCX-10 III chassis.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I found the outer radii of most small channel to be too squared off. I bought 1/2" box/square tube instead and cut it lengthwise and it's a much closer match to the shape/radius of what most scalers use. Most hardware stores sell short lengths (1-4') of metals, I think I paid ~$10 for a 6' piece at Home Depot, Lowe's has the same stuff. Another benefit to using square tube is that you can get one piece bent/chopped/sectioned/welded to your desired shape, then cut it lengthwise with a bandsaw (or a thin cutoff wheel) and end up with 2 perfectly mirrored rails instead of trying to duplicate them separately.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Have you considered cutting the chassis, and simply bolting in "extension pieces" on each side. Essentially, you'd end up with something similar to a customized version of an SCX-10 III chassis.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Are the extension pieces something you can get from Axial?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Are the extension pieces something you can get from Axial?
No...at least, not that I know of ..plus, I want indicating that Axial makes any. I was referring to how the new chassis didn't use single-piece rails - each side has a front piece, and a rear piece, and they're bolted together. Depending on which holes you use to bolt them together, that's what determines the wheelbase.

Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I found the outer radii of most small channel to be too squared off. I bought 1/2" box/square tube instead and cut it lengthwise and it's a much closer match to the shape/radius of what most scalers use. Most hardware stores sell short lengths (1-4') of metals, I think I paid ~$10 for a 6' piece at Home Depot, Lowe's has the same stuff. Another benefit to using square tube is that you can get one piece bent/chopped/sectioned/welded to your desired shape, then cut it lengthwise with a bandsaw (or a thin cutoff wheel) and end up with 2 perfectly mirrored rails instead of trying to duplicate them separately.

I tried this one with a zip wheel and completely destroyed it, haha. Haven't tried it in a drill press yet though.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you just need the straight section at the rear of an existing frame to be longer, there's always this frame extension from the UMG 6x6: https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-u...SABEgLXMvD_BwE
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

How much longer are you trying to stretch it? SSD makes some extensions but only around 20mm.

The trx4 frame rails are longer than most, and there’s always the trx6 rails...

https://www.rcmart.com/traxxas-trx-6...-8829-00086237

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If you just need the straight section at the rear of an existing frame to be longer, there's always this frame extension from the UMG 6x6: https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-u...SABEgLXMvD_BwE
Nice I was looking for that one to post also but didn’t come up with as fast!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the response on this! I'm looking to stretch the chassis a good 2-3 inches. I picked up a hgp407, and plan on cutting the frame near the middle somewhere and welding in a new section. End game is a dually tow rig.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Square 1/2" tubing, or the $13 scx10 frame rails on ebay
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
RCC Addict

What are the dimensions of the channel, od? Material thickness, like .040" or ??? Pic of the existing frame rail to see what you have?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
What are the dimensions of the channel, od? Material thickness, like .040" or ??? Pic of the existing frame rail to see what you have?
The od is .25" x .5" , roughly. Thickness is .040"

Old 11-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #13
RCC Addict

So for the record, you have 20 ga. frame rails, painted. Where do you plan on adding to the chassis? The center seems to be your only option seeing those leaf spring hangers on there. Going the 1/2" tube route in 18 ga. will be your quickest route, or have a sheet metal shop bend some up for you if there is on near by. You could also see if your LHS has small structural shapes like mine does, some stainless, tons of aluminum and brass, but you might have to bolt them on.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Steel C channel? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/4" channel? steel & alum STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 11 10-06-2013 08:04 PM
Weldable "C" Channel Steel neillarson Tools, and Procedures 8 09-08-2011 06:36 PM
Where do i buy steel C channel ser3100 General Scale Talk 10 02-03-2010 06:44 PM