Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: what to build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what to build?

"Rambling Warning"
Hey every one, I'm trying to figure out my next build. Since i've thinned out the stable the last couple of months, its coming into winter and since im in utah for the winter well their isnt going to be much crawling once the snow hits.

I've built just about every scale truck, enduro IFS, Enduro flat rail chassis, trx4's, scx10 II, scx10 III, SSD TK, capra's, OG scx10's, Gmade R1, TF2, Twin Hammers, yeti's, wraith's, wronchos Ect Ect Ect over the last decade. All these trucks have thier pros/cons/merits and i explored these traits extensively and dont want to build any of these again.

My SSD TK is still my favorite truck i've ever built, I drove it today and i
still love it. (although i did rip the vs410 body below the rear tail lights today in the rocks )
Im going to swap out the AR 44's for the regular portals on my capra, i adore the capra, reminds me of a losi 2.2 comp crawler i had back in the day.
Will be throwing built ar44's and built OG 3 gear into a sparetime hobbies V1W chassis.
So that leaves me with a capra, a built SSD TK and a "comp" ar44 / 3 gear based rig.

So i "THINK" i have it narrowed down to a VS410 pro w/ dig and a rear portal axle. (i've never own any of the vs410 trucks or vp axles)

Or a TGH sherpa expert with a scx10 ii VP F9 front axle and rear scx10 ii VP F9 portal and dravtechs. Basically a clone of tophers awesome build.

OR maybe bust out the tig and build a harley designs scout 800 woods runner chassis with a 3 gear and some vp axles. Although im afraid building a chassis it will either be done in a week and look like crap or it wont be finished, ever. (im either 110 percent or nothing on a project)

I never ended up selling my UMG10, Ive always kinda wanted a 6x6 mog...

Im aware these are 4 VERY different rigs, But i would really appreciate every ones input. I know i cant be the only one that cant decide on what to build this coming winter.

Im not super into hardbody's, or the 1.55 stuff. I like a happy median between performance and scale looks.

Regardless ill probably get the stuff and make the mog a 6x6 even though thier are reliability issues with axials 6x6 design.

If any one has any other build ideas throw your hat in the ring here.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: what to build?

Hmmm... the only thing I can think of that isn't on your list really would be a Bomber, but then again that's more or less a low CG Wraith. My main crawling bud and I are planning to go bananas on a few for 2021. There's this hill that none of our trail trucks/crawlers could get more than a third of the way up, but we reckon with brushless Bombers and the right ballast adjustments we can do it. It's something totally unlike what we normally run and it has a clear end goal in mind, something that will require tinkering and time to achieve.

I'm always down to start a new trail rig project when money allows, but lately I've been out of ideas, so thinking of a target or goal that I want to achieve with a build has helped me focus that creative itch. Usually it's just "I wanna build a 4Runner" or "I don't have a Jeep" or the like. I'm looking forward to seeing if me and my buddy can conquer this hill that's been taunting us for the last two years.

Last edited by addiemonster; 11-24-2020 at 11:52 AM.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

I’m torn here, first that’s a nice set of kits to have under your belt. It’s good to see a nice combo of brands and purpose.

So with that being said, since you’ve never built a VP truck I might recommend that. They’re enjoyable kits to build and the fit and finishes are usually top notch. But, if you really want to do rear portal it might be easier to pull off from scratch, and the Sherpa is a great choice because you can send the overdrive to the rear. It’s an incredibly fun truck to drive. Thanks for the mention there.

The tig weld custom chassis build is something I’d like to see too! And the 6x6’s are just flat out fun as well, I love the trx6.

Lots of good options there.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Go custom from scratch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Go RC4wd Overland is always an option
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
Hmmm... the only thing I can think of that isn't on your list really would be a Bomber, but then again that's more or less a low CG Wraith. My main crawling bud and I are planning to go bananas on a few for 2021. There's this hill that none of our trail trucks/crawlers could get more than a third of the way up, but we reckon with brushless Wraiths and the right ballast adjustments we can do it. It's something totally unlike what we normally run and it has a clear end goal in mind, something that will require tinkering and time to achieve.

I'm always down to start a new trail rig project when money allows, but lately I've been out of ideas, so thinking of a target or goal that I want to achieve with a build has helped me focus that creative itch. Usually it's just "I wanna build a 4Runner" or "I don't have a Jeep" or the like. I'm looking forward to seeing if me and my buddy can conquer this hill that's been taunting us for the last two years.

I've had several 2.2's over the years and drove a friends bomber quite abit this year but unless you have serious terrain they are just kinda meh, i did consider one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I’m torn here, first that’s a nice set of kits to have under your belt. It’s good to see a nice combo of brands and purpose.

So with that being said, since you’ve never built a VP truck I might recommend that. They’re enjoyable kits to build and the fit and finishes are usually top notch. But, if you really want to do rear portal it might be easier to pull off from scratch, and the Sherpa is a great choice because you can send the overdrive to the rear. It’s an incredibly fun truck to drive. Thanks for the mention there.

The tig weld custom chassis build is something I’d like to see too! And the 6x6’s are just flat out fun as well, I love the trx6.

Lots of good options there.
I really am leaning towards a vs410 pro with dig+20% overdrive and possibly the rear portal mod. I've competed against vs410's and they are good trucks with a capable driver on the remote.
The sherpa though with the rear portal just seems like the logical solution to 110% performance.
Lets be real though, the price to kit out a vs410 or sherpa with VP the way i want, its either one or the either not both.
Im swapping axles right now, i guess i should run the built ssd 44s' on the V1W chassis and see if its a real contender or go with a different chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
Go custom from scratch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh i've built acouple of chassis, they came out alright. But never quite what i wanted. Although the shop i have access to for the winter would make most everyone lose their minds, lets just say i wish i was a machinist and custom work would be the answer this winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Go RC4wd Overland is always an option
I considered that truck and as much as i like it, i do not have the patience to mess around with styrene much beyond bobbing / pinching a toyota.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote

what to build? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM