Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Phildirt’s Garage

I'll add - my 'creativity' is limited by what is on hand - for instance the shop fans - I have to wait until I stumble upon something round, mesh with a circular pattern or grill type of texture, about 2" in diameter...usually I'm not planning on making something until I find a bit of plastic or metal that stimulates the process. I've found it is more satisfying this way than buying printed parts. So far I have spent $2.88 on chains for the doors and $5.99 on hot glue sticks at WalMart for this project. A grand total of less than $10 with tax.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Phildirt;6070879] Has foot pedal so you can smash all of your fingers at once.

One of the funniest things I've read in some time!!

Excellent work on your scale garage....the angle grinders...brilliant.
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Made some little serpentine belts out of rubber bands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 11:30 AM   #64
RCC Addict

A bench grinder with dremel attachments

Old 03-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #65
RCC Addict

A torch on a cart, still need to make hazmat placards for the tank

Old 03-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #66
RCC Addict

And a few of these bottle jacks, 3 total and scattered them about the garage. Not hyped about them and may revisit the concept later. Or might get lazy and just paint them a little darker so they blend in to the background.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #67
RCC Addict

That sawzall blade in the bench grinder photo is a real blade, cut down length wise, and trimmed to an angle at the end. I need to 'weather it' i.e. rub some paint and expose metal on the teeth. But I impressed myself with that trick lol. I might get some modeling clay and make some hand tools this weekend. That's the only way I can think of to easily make wrenches besides stacking up some styrene and cutting them out. Would like to make about 4 different size open end wrenches, 2 ratchets, a socket holder with the obligatory missing 10mm socket, and some screwdrivers. Also a pry bar/set of tire irons. I might make those today.

Also plan on 'cleaning up' the shop a little, I don't want the detail to get too busy, and the messy look worked when it didn't have a lot of tools/work areas. But truth be told my real life garage would look just like this. Wheeling and wrenching, not cleaning and organizing.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Added a sub panel, because every shop needs breakers to trip when you grind through an extension cord

Old 03-05-2021, 06:58 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Made a rolling cart out of a thing that some washers came in. I will fill it with a ton of tools, parts, cups, rags, and maybe a tiny cell phone or something.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Added some extension cords and plugged one of the grinders in...the boys are cutting some tabs off an axle tonight so they can weld them back on in the exact same place tomorrow. Busy work.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Drone footage. Tidied up the shop a little.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #72
RCC Addict

I decided my steps are not scale enough on those stairs. Instead of rebuilding the whole thing I’m just going to make the treads bigger. Will do that with some foam core board, grabbing some this weekend. That stuff is great for this type of thing.

I am also going to make an engine completely out of foam board and a stand out of styrene sheet/tube. No shop is complete without a half built small block Chebby.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Working on a motor/stand...waiting on filler to dry so got bored and made another tool chest for under the metal working area. Just foam board and balsa dowels for the pulls.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #74
RCC Addict

My engine will look decent I think, will post some pics when I get it a little closer. It is not “accurate” in a rivet counting sense but I did use actual small block Chevy dimensions. It will have no heads/carbs for now.

I measured the step treads to see what I was thinking when I made them and they scale to 20” wide and 10” deep...plenty big for what they represent, just a catwalk access and not a ballroom entrance.

For those playing along at home I spent $9 on foam board and balsa today bringing grand total for Team Hot Glue/Phildirt’s Garage to $19 and some change. Almost bought more chain but it was $1 more than Walmart charges so skipped it on principle since it’s the same freaking brand.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #75
RCC Addict

For those wanting to replicate the tool chest concept I just cut rectangles out of foam board, glued them at 90 degree angles, made a tiny strip for the exposed part of the top...I hate wasting material. It is 2 sided because you can’t see the far side or back.

Before I did all of that I spray painted some 3/16 dowel flat black...then I painted the cabinet blue while that dried. It is just watered down cheap craft store paint airbrushed at 50psi.

Then glue the dowels on in sections depending on desired drawer config...the outline/seams for the drawers is #2 pencil...I use a ton of pencil for detail on things that won’t be handled. It is very versatile and easy to wipe off.

Then top it off with transparent black, brown, and orange (rust) and you have a fairly believable tool box. I will add ‘stickers’ made of cutout/elmers glued on bits from my trusty Summit catalogue.

Long read there but I like doing this so hopefully someone will be inspired to make their own.

Cheers

Old 03-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Some update shots. Don’t flake me on the motor, it’s just a prop and I learned a lot trying to make it. Already dreaming up a Version 1.0.2 that will be shiny/new and this is just that rusty boat anchor for the corner. No, it’s not accurate but will do until I have time to really focus on it. Rebuilt the loft area to the upper left, it was way too small.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #77
RCC Addict

Next project is a sign for above the door. Making it very large.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Everything looks utterly and epically FANTASTIC, my man!

I'm waiting for you to have the garage door open onto a driveway with friggin' bonsai trees along both sides...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #79
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Added some extension cords and plugged one of the grinders in...the boys are cutting some tabs off an axle tonight so they can weld them back on in the exact same place tomorrow. Busy work.

Them boys sure do know how to stay busy!

I love visiting Phildirt's Garage! Always brings a smile to my face!

Great job as always!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quick graffiti mural, this is a practice run and the next one will be my shop sign/much more elaborate. Just figuring out which style looks best at this scale, I think I will go with something similar to the bottom right.

Notice the Hot Glue Crew tag lol.

Looks neat in the space, will run with this theme. I like street art/alternative design aesthetic.

Phildirt’s Garage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phildirt’s Jeep Phildirt Axial SCX-10 68 05-10-2021 08:01 PM
Phildirt’s SCX10 mud and trail truck Phildirt Axial SCX-10 171 05-10-2021 07:53 PM
Phildirt’s Element Enduro Trailwalker Phildirt Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 419 03-21-2021 10:00 PM
Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt Phildirt Axial SCX10 II 109 03-14-2021 04:18 AM
Garage Rehab - Ruff and FUGLY paint the garage JoeConti Scale Videos! 0 11-28-2017 02:07 AM