Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: TRX sport kit or new Ecto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TRX sport kit or new Ecto

Hey all I have been out of the crawler scene for a while last crawler was the Axial honcho. I’m looking to buy another one but am having a hard time deciding on which one. I’m debating on either the TRX 4 sport kit or the new Element Ecto. I really enjoy the building part of it and all my research has shown the TRX 4 sport kit is a great start. I also am a big Team Associated fan and have read great reviews of their products. I am looking at the Ecto because it seems to be their latest and greatest version. I’m hopping some of you with first hand experience can help me decide. Thanks and I will looking forward to your suggestions.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: TRX sport kit or new Ecto

I like both rigs, but prefer kits. So between those two I would get the kit. If I wanted the Ecto, I would buy the Gatekeeper kit and an Ecto clear body
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That’s a great point one I will definitely consider. I believe you have both the traxxas and element. Which one do you like better or believe is a better built rig?
Old 07-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
That’s a great point one I will definitely consider. I believe you have both the traxxas and element. Which one do you like better or believe is a better built rig?
I do have both. It’s a tough call for me, I really like the quality of both. A lot of guys seem to be unhappy with the Element axles because of the slightly large pumpkins and torque twist. Neither ‘issue’ seems pronounced to me. The TRX4 runs portal axles. If you are good with that then the Traxxas will give you way better axle clearance than the Element. I don’t dislike portals, but do enjoy the challenges of negotiating the diff pumpkins through terrain and so am more inclined to run my straight axle rigs. That is just my personal preference.

The Gatekeeper/Ecto has a 12.8” WB which I like. I find the longer WB travels smoother in the bumps when on the trails.

I wish I could give you a definite one or the other answer, but I honestly like both. Both rigs run what I believe to be the best shocks on the market.

If I had to choose one today I would likely build a Gatekeeper and buy a clear Ecto body so it could be something other than yellow. It’s an inexpensive body.

Of note, if you like to have an abundance aftermarket part options, the TRX4 would provide this. Element aftermarket parts are limited, though what’s out there is really good(thank you SSD)
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

if its the ecto body you are after, id go with the ecto body on a trx4 kit.

portal rigs, when equipped with brass knuckles and portal covers seem to preform better over straight axles to me with the same weight.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I comp, I don't really trail.

I have a TRX (not the sport) and an Enduro. I did not like the Enduro at all until I put AR44s under it. Both are different and I have modified both for comp.

The TRX can't turn as well as other RTRs, but with selectable lockers and a little work it can do pretty good. Because the Sport does not have selectable lockers that would rule it out for me. The Enduro / ECTO has low pinion axles that causes torque twist and worse clearance. I wouldn't want a ECTO with stock axles.

I don't like the TRX chassis, to does not allow for much up travel, esp up front. I changed to a Scattergun chassis and I am no Servo on Axle steering, front and rear steer.

I like the Enduro chassis. There is allot of space between the low part (where the trans mounts) and the high part (where the shock hoops mount). This allows for good suspension travel, far better then the TRX chassis. and you will have more room up front for steering linkage.

Both mine are set up for comp. My TRX is C3 and the Enduro is C1.

Both are too different, I can't pick a favorite.

Top is my TRX and bottom is the Enduro, neither are stock.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 07:11 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies guys for me it will be strictly a trail rig something to take out in the woods and have some fun. Just trying to get the most and best info possible before I make a purchase all my other RC are ARRMA brasher so just trying to catch up so many options.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
Thanks for the replies guys for me it will be strictly a trail rig something to take out in the woods and have some fun. Just trying to get the most and best info possible before I make a purchase all my other RC are ARRMA brasher so just trying to catch up so many options.
Which ever one you get will be the right one but you will still question yourself about your decision.

My advice is get the one you can get the soonest.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX sport kit or new Ecto - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Motor into Sport Kit Ty89m Traxxas TRX-4 3 06-02-2021 04:04 PM
WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit? theace18 Newbie General 19 05-27-2020 08:47 AM
Help me compare SCX10 iii kit vs TRX-4 sport kit Veteran Axial SCX10 III 9 04-02-2020 03:55 PM
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM
TRX-4 Sport Assembly Kit! nedmo General Scale Talk 22 03-02-2019 06:52 AM