Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: $1000 budget for a new rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #1

Default $1000 budget for a new rig.

Hi all. I’m pretty new to this 2 months at best. I already got a TRX4 2021 Bronco no upgrades other that a Traxxas bec,Savox servo, wheels and tires and a losi night crawler SE 2.0 with a Hobby wing 1080 and heavier wheels.
Things I like so far
A) Trail/crawler capable. More inclined to crawling on rocks and obstacles than going fast.
B) Power-wagon, old truck and suv bodies looks (prefer hard bodies) open to lexan.
C) love how the night crawler SE crawls and articulate. (After i put a HW1080 heavier wheels and new tires) it crawls like a spider with the worm drives

Don’t like
A) The body looks of the night crawler, capras and the like.
B) the lack of wheel speed with the worm drive.

I think I’d rather spend the money doing a new build than modifying the RTR’s I already have. I have a ceiling of $1000 for the project including a new controller, I’d love to get the crawling feeling of the losi with the looks of something else and more speed that a sick turtle.

I’m quite overwhelmed with all the options out there. If you have $1000 to spend, what would you build/buy second hand or RTR to modify?
Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alxe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: $1000 budget for a new rig.

I bought a VS4-10 Pro and was fairly disappointed when compared to a well tuned SCX10.2. The conclusion I came to was to start with some good bare bone components and spend the rest of the money on tuning.

I'd recommend either the SCX10.2 builders kit or the (still on sale) Element Gatekeeper kit and spend the rest finding out what upgrades work best for your driving style and terrain.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Basicbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The Gatekeeper over the Element builders kit because you get wheels/tires/swaybar for a similar price. I'd toss the cage that comes with Gatekeeper.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Basicbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you want to do more crawling. Capra kit (could always mount a lexan body over the capra tube chassis.
Could do a Ryft kit, lock all 3 diffs add shorter shocks or put a few orange limiters under the pistons to drop ride height. Drop in the 2 speed, but install the 3d printed 1st gear lockout in the tranny and lock it in low gear. it becomes a very capable crawler honestly in low gear and some lower ride height.

Axial has the bombers but its a 'rock racer' but can be slowed down to be a decent crawler as well...

Another option is the SSD Trail King Kit. Great kit that's a slider so will need all electronics, body, wheels radiogear etc.

As far as radio goes, regardless of what you get to use it on, the Radiolink RC6GS V2 is an excellent radio for the cost.
I say its the best 500.00 radio I've ever bought and it comes in an 80.00 box. It really is a very good radio.
Flysky also has their new GT7 radio that is like 90.00 but can only be got from China atm.

I really like my SSD rig. I put a RC4WD Blazer hard body on it. Call it my Redneck Blazer. Hard bodies are TOP heavy to keep that in mind.
Its pretty capable atm, but with a lexan body, it would be much less weight and Center of Gravity would be much lower making it a far more capable rig.

One of those radios would leave you 900 for a rig. For that you could get a few options for nice setups.
The SSD Trail king kit
Vanquish Pheonix kit
Or one of the RTR rigs and some upgrades for it out of the box.

Motor ESC Combos
Hobbywing AXE Combos are good.
Or the 2 in 1 Fusions

Castle ESCs and slate motors or Holmes Hobby motors.
Tekin RX4 ESC and ROC412 motor of KV Choice (1800kv to 3100kv options)
Those are all brushless options.
Hobbywing 1080 WP brushed ESC and a Holmes Hobby motor of choice for the rig you get.

Servos.
I like the Reefs servos
But many others are also good.
Prepare to drop at least 80ish bux to 125ish for a good steering servo. Like rigs, there are lots of options.
Homles, Shifts, Futaba, Hitec, Reefs, etc....Pic a good one that fits your budget for it and go.

May or may not need 2nd servos for 2 speeds, digs, etc that are available.

Bomber has 230.00 off flash sale at Amain using flash230> That makes it 249.99 less taxes but free shipping at Amain so that may make it easy for you. THe bomber has been converted into a very capable crawler as well. Its similar to the Losi and Capra but different enough you may like the looks.

I'm sure others will weigh in, but 250 for an rtr Bomber that is new is a hard deal to pass up.
jm2c
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I second the Trail King kit. Or an Element kit/RTR if you can't find a Trail King.

I've have (or have had, at one point) experience with a few different rigs and I still say the TK is my favorite followed closely by the Element Knight Runner.

Both offer great bang for your buck. Whichever one is right for you depends partly on what you plan to do with it.

The TK is heavier and more expensive to make a complete vehicle, but the build quality is top-notch (IMO). They have a scale-ish drivetrain that eliminates most of the torque twist (with the brushed motor, 3s, I run anyway) and they're compatible with many SCX10.2 parts.

The element platform is cheaper and lighter (could be a pro or con for you) but they're quite good straight of the box. They also offer a few different suspension configurations to choose from.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Bomber has 230.00 off flash sale at Amain using flash230> That makes it 249.99 less taxes but free shipping at Amain so that may make it easy for you. THe bomber has been converted into a very capable crawler as well. Its similar to the Losi and Capra but different enough you may like the looks.

I'm sure others will weigh in, but 250 for an rtr Bomber that is new is a hard deal to pass up.
jm2c
Y'all really got to stop posting all these great deals...
With shipping to AK, it was right at $267. Still a smoking deal and bought as an investment piece. We'll see how that goes...

Edit - I bought from Horizon, because AMain wanted over $67 in shipping.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/asc40105.htm

and

https://www.teamgaragehack.com/colle...erformance-kit

That'll kick ass and have everything you need to get rolling. Save the rest for the inevitable upgrades.... tires and servo will probably be first.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post

and

That'll kick ass and have everything you need to get rolling. Save the rest for the inevitable upgrades.... tires and servo will probably be first.

I was gonna say a trailking or a budget custom build. But that combo right there is slick. Toss in a HW1080, nice servo, a better wheel/tire combo and some brass knuckles and i bet that would pull some serious lines on the rocks.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:55 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

and

I agree with this recommendation as well. The Enduro never ceases to surprise me.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:10 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

The Element Enduro platform is great out of the box and hard to beat.

The Gatekeeper Builders Kit is a great deal for what comes in the box. Leave the cage in the box and put on a lexan body and you'll have a very capable rig. I bought the kit, liked it so much that I had to buy another kit!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
The Element Enduro platform is great out of the box and hard to beat.

The Gatekeeper Builders Kit is a great deal for what comes in the box. Leave the cage in the box and put on a lexan body and you'll have a very capable rig. I bought the kit, liked it so much that I had to buy another kit!
I'm waiting for my Gatekeeper kit to arrive with great anticipation. The sale price is unbelievable.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #12
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
I'm waiting for my Gatekeeper kit to arrive with great anticipation. The sale price is unbelievable.
Congrats! It is a great deal and I am shocked that they are still selling for that price AND they're still in stock!
Old 04-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
If you want to do more crawling. Capra kit (could always mount a lexan body over the capra tube chassis.
Could do a Ryft kit, lock all 3 diffs add shorter shocks or put a few orange limiters under the pistons to drop ride height. Drop in the 2 speed, but install the 3d printed 1st gear lockout in the tranny and lock it in low gear. it becomes a very capable crawler honestly in low gear and some lower ride height.

Axial has the bombers but its a 'rock racer' but can be slowed down to be a decent crawler as well...

Another option is the SSD Trail King Kit. Great kit that's a slider so will need all electronics, body, wheels radiogear etc.

As far as radio goes, regardless of what you get to use it on, the Radiolink RC6GS V2 is an excellent radio for the cost.
I say its the best 500.00 radio I've ever bought and it comes in an 80.00 box. It really is a very good radio.
Flysky also has their new GT7 radio that is like 90.00 but can only be got from China atm.

I really like my SSD rig. I put a RC4WD Blazer hard body on it. Call it my Redneck Blazer. Hard bodies are TOP heavy to keep that in mind.
Its pretty capable atm, but with a lexan body, it would be much less weight and Center of Gravity would be much lower making it a far more capable rig.

One of those radios would leave you 900 for a rig. For that you could get a few options for nice setups.
The SSD Trail king kit
Vanquish Pheonix kit
Or one of the RTR rigs and some upgrades for it out of the box.

Motor ESC Combos
Hobbywing AXE Combos are good.
Or the 2 in 1 Fusions

Castle ESCs and slate motors or Holmes Hobby motors.
Tekin RX4 ESC and ROC412 motor of KV Choice (1800kv to 3100kv options)
Those are all brushless options.
Hobbywing 1080 WP brushed ESC and a Holmes Hobby motor of choice for the rig you get.

Servos.
I like the Reefs servos
But many others are also good.
Prepare to drop at least 80ish bux to 125ish for a good steering servo. Like rigs, there are lots of options.
Homles, Shifts, Futaba, Hitec, Reefs, etc....Pic a good one that fits your budget for it and go.

May or may not need 2nd servos for 2 speeds, digs, etc that are available.

jm2c

Lots a great wisdom and things to consider here. Thank you for the time to share all that. Seems like those enduros are quite popular so far.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:

and

Fantastic advice. Seems like a kit and a half .
I wonder what is the general feeling of the new Vanquish phoenix. Seems like solid platform full of features to build on.
I wonder how the enduros and this vanquished compare. I came across the phoenix videos on YouTube and seems like quite a performer.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxe24 View Post
Fantastic advice. Seems like a kit and a half .
I wonder what is the general feeling of the new Vanquish phoenix. Seems like solid platform full of features to build on.
I wonder how the enduros and this vanquished compare. I came across the phoenix videos on YouTube and seems like quite a performer.

The Phoenix is unimpressive if your goal is to attack the crazy lines. Too top heavy. I got one and sold everything but the transmission, which I run in a gspeed chassis. The axles are good too, but I wanted straight axles.
Old 04-10-2022, 01:59 AM   #16

I think i talked myself into getting both the vanquish phoenix and the sendero rtr
I will do the vanquish as the build (i love the idea of the transmission on that rig) and ride the sendero stock until i upgrade electronics and handling performance after i enjoy the car as is and find its limitations. I figure that will make me appreciate the upgrade more than getting the entire sendero with the enhancements all at once.
Seems like both rigs will be quote different from one another to justify the expense. (Hope my wife buys that idea )

Old 04-10-2022, 02:16 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think i talked myself into getting both the vanquish phoenix and the sendero rtr
I will do the vanquish as the build (i love the idea of the transmission on that rig) and ride the sendero stock until i upgrade electronics and handling performance after i enjoy the car as is and find its limitations. I figure that will make me appreciate the upgrade more than getting the entire sendero with the enhancements all at once.
Seems like both rigs will be quote different from one another to justify the expense. (Hope my wife buys that idea )

Hell, yeah.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:31 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sounds like a solid plan!!!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:27 PM   #19

I got the lower weights for all corners and lifting links. HW 1080 esc, new transmitter and rx.
Need to decide on the motor 540 or 550 and how many turns. Likely a Holmes crawl master pro if available, servo, wheels and shoes.
For the moment I believe I’ll hold off on the Titan THG element performance kit, although I do wonder how much of a difference will that make on the rig.
All I’m waiting for mow os the actual… sendero. Should be coming on Thursday.
Can’t wait

Old 04-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #20
Go Buckeyes!

I just saw your latest post on FB showing these pics. Looks like a great start to your build!

Looking forward to seeing more!

$1000 budget for a new rig. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long will 1000-2000 mha lipos last in scale rig bigred22 Newbie General 21 03-21-2013 07:23 PM
Another $1000 Rig mfawv EnRoute Berg 70 10-07-2012 07:45 PM
1000$ budget. Can't decide! cheesefart General Crawlers 23 02-10-2010 06:26 PM