Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Monster Mashup Build. Not sure what it will be.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Monster Mashup Build. Not sure what it will be.

Built the set of SSD Diamonds last month, and was planning on running them on a LCG Build, but decided to go a different axle route for that, so had these looking for a home. Buddy got a Pheonix and wasn't fond of it, so I got the chassis setup and the new 3 gear Axial tranny with it for a good price.

After some finagling with the link ends to get the setup right, and moving the rear shock mounts to the rear-most position, was able to put these Diamonds under the VP Chassis. Had to use 2 long rod ends on the pan hard to get the axle in the correct position so the shocks set upright, but at the end of a few hours of assembling and changing ends, etc. got it nearly to roller stage.

Installed the SSD Trail King links and panhard/steering links with a 12.5 wb as the end result.

The stock axial tranny will be pulled. I want to have dig on this rig, so considered a VP 3gear and dig etc. . But looking over evilzon. I found what the Chy-Na retailers are calling a reversing transmission. Essentially a knock-off Axial 3 Gear but has a plate on the front with 2 gears to counter-rotate the output shafts to the axles so no torque twisth. Then they have the Chy-Na 3 gear tranny with the vp knockoff dig setup on it. I'm thinking this is how I'll go for the tranny setup. The Dig assembly should install directly on the counter-rotating shaft tranny, and that will leave a knock-off 3 gear tranny as a spare for later use. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. lolol

some pics of the starting stuffs.

Last edited by Timmahh; 04-09-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Monster Mashup Build. Not sure what it will be.

Another piece of the mashup build has arrived.
Chy-Na Tranny with Dig.

This is only 1/2 of the tranny. I have a 2nd coming on a slow boat that has a counter-rotating front output shaft on it.
I will be mashing these 2 trannies into one for this build.

Only seems fitting considering it has SSD and Vanquish on it so far.
Will be selling the Grey Axial 3 Gear. I'ts New and only used on this chassis for a mock up.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Other Tranny showed up today. Time to mash them into one Counter-Rotating Shaft 5 gear tranny with Dig on the rear.

I already did it. didn't get any pics. But will be tearing it apart, and making a youtube vid on it. Plus I wan't to swap the cases to the grey cases. Just need to get a small allen to get the dig cog off the black tranny.

Will post up pics and the linky to the vid of the Mash on this Monsher Mash build.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Finally got a set of mini metric Allen wrenches so I could remove the dig cog from the Evilzon black 3gear transmission that had the dig on it, and put the grey Evilzon 3gear transmission back together with the dig attached to it. This tranny has the 100hp improved counter rotating shafts, and now with dig. lol
Now to mod up a forward motor mount setup for it. Just ordered a motor plate I should be able to mount up and use for my needs. Just gotta wait for it to get here.
Also ordered the tires for it. JCon Ruptures. Have some Dirty Richard foams waiting to go into them (upper left corner on the box of Ryft parts. lol) and finally on these brozeish Evilzon 1.9s. I almost got 2.2s to stretch the 1.9s on. May still do that.

Old 07-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Needed a few things for my Bomber Amain was out of, so on RPP I picked up some Beef Tubes Brass Tubes for the bomber, and a SSD Pumpkin cover for it.
While I was there I took advantage of RPP's 4th Sale of 15% off and dropped the HH BR Mini V2 and wire kit into the cart. Now just to decide what Revolver to go with. I know I want to get the 14 pole, just not sure what KV for this rig. Though I suspect drop dead weight to be close to 8lbs ready to roll when its done.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

J Con Ruptures arrived today, so got them assembled with these Chy-na 1.9s and a set of Pitbull Dirty Ricards. Firm for rear and Medium for Fronts.
These wheels almost fell together. Other than getting the foam in the tires, the rest was a breeze. Bead seems to be held very well.

Impressive for a 23.00 set of wheels.

ESC was ordered and will be here tomorrow. Holmes Crawlmaster BR Mini V2 and Amain just got some 2200kv Revolvers back in stock so I ordered one for this rig.
Thinking of a couple Reefs servos for Steering and Winch. A 900 Smart Servo for steering and the 800:IS Smart Servo Winch. Not set in stone yet, but those are the 2 I'm eyeing closely atm.

Shes getting there.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
RCC Addict

HH CM Mini V2 and 2200kv Revolver showed up for this build.
Once I go through the bomber, I'll be using it's driveshafts on this rig.

Still need to get the Steering and Winch Servo's ordered. But it'll be a week or two before I can order them.

Picked up some conformal coating from Brook Racing to waterproof the Mini ESC.

Coming Along.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Heart and Soul soldered up and test fit. looks like I may need to clearance the battery try just another mm on the inside of the cut out. Just to ensure enough clearance for the motor. May need to trim the chassis rail a little bit as well should I need to move to a bigger pinion.

So far so good though.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Dancing Shoes and Pull Up Machine installed.
Reefs 1100 Smart Servo on Steering and a Reef 800:IS Winch Servo fed by a Castle BEC 2.0 WP
Hitec 255HS servo on the dig unit.

HH Crawlmaster Mini V2 pushing a 2200kv revolver.

Wiring is all cleaned up and in place.
Think I'll be removing the metal plate. Battery will end up on the slider plate. Want to keep it as light as possible so the plates gotta go.

Just need a body and mounting setup and some bumpers.
Maybe the new Proline Square body Chevy, or the newer v2 possible Power Wagon Josh mentioned on SNU this am.

Thinking I want to do a cab only body and a small cage/flatbed rear.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-26-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Been a few minutes since I've made a post.
Events that happened since...
V2 Mini's bec went south. HH Warranty replaced it. So be sure to only run the rx on the onboard bec. I was only running the 225MG for dig and it ended up being to much just being on, not using dig...at all. I added a 2nd CC 10a BEC and powered the hitec 225mg dig servo at the rx at 6v Fully bypassing the onboard bec (have the red wire pulled out of the plug).

Just got that a bit more than a week ago, while contemplating bodies. Almost went with the Pheonix body, but opted for the new ProLine Power Wagon Comp Body, which I just finished most of the trimming and mounted it. Had to trim on the side skids to fit the wagon body. It's about 90% but still need to do some trimming along the front sides of them to allow the natural taper of the front to conform better. but overall, I am really like how its turning out.
Setting as low as it can go with the SSD Shock hoops. using a piece of d/s tape as bumber pads on top of the towers. Once I get a front bumper setup, Ill set it up to hold the front bottom of the grille area and help lock it in, but the body is held on quite well with just the 2 short m3 button heads. Once I get the side skids trimmed to better follow the thinning body lines, it should fit and sit a little better, but if this is where it stayed, I'd be happy.

Next will be the bed area. Going to go for another RedNeck hack for the bed , and will likely wait till its done or almost done before I show any shots just to be a dink. lol But I think you all will like what I am cooking up and agree on keeping it under wraps til lits finished.

not too different than what some have done, but different enough that I've not seen anyone else with a bed like it on an rc. at least not in my current memory.

I originally started by making and bending up the metal mount/battery plate to fit the body, but once I trimmed up the plastic side pieces, decided to dump the metal piece, though I may trim the front section off and reinstall it just to put the battery weight more forward as shown in the above pics, opposed to off on the side plate. Up front just above the motor actually worked pretty well as it not only moved weight forward, it helped keep the rig balanced side to side, which would be lost if the battery went on the side tray.

But it's getting closer. Wasn't able to go to the Gauntlet this last weekend. To much work/$ on the 1:1 over the last few weeks to be able to afford it.
But that's ok, there is always next year.

Last edited by Timmahh; 09-19-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Stinger bumper came in, got modified and installed.
Still may make my own, but this did make it a simple do.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Been a few minutes so its time for an update.

Relocated both the front and rear shocktowhers. Fronts moved back for a bit more front shock angle, and repositioned the rears to stand up a bit more as there was almost no rear travel and it was soft with that much angle. Added shock tower cross support bars to stiffen up the stock Trail King Towers so they have nearly no flex which should help with consistency.

Then I got started on the rear.
I knew what I wanted todo from the start. so the build up was in part to ensrue I could do this part.
Its not the cleanest, and its only getting set together currently using E6000 to hold it together.
But I plan to add some tiny bolts or maybe nailes to help keep it together. Also have a thin piece of clear plastic that will be on the bottom just to add some strength and durability. Plan is to get it all together so it is solid and wont fall apart if it takes a hit, and then age it some with some oil/stains etc.
Think I'll brush on some oil stains and greese spots, then brush it all with ATF to give it some good discoloring and use.

More later.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:03 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

This thing is looking awesome!!! Keep up the great work man.

I really dig the bed as well!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
This thing is looking awesome!!! Keep up the great work man.

I really dig the bed as well!
So far I am pretty happy with how its turning out.
Thought the bed would be a personal touch most don't have.
Once its done I think it'll look stellar.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

My father-in-law does some wood work on the side and has a small planer that he uses. I have often thought of building a 1-piece bed floor and carving the separation lines in it. I think once it was stained, it would look pretty decent. I may have to give it a shot when I build my first little trailer this winter.

Although I think the separate pieces of wood give it a much more realistic look.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

E6000 a thin piece of clear plastic on the bottom of the bed.
Mounted the bed using the 4 screw holes in the rear 'fuel cell'. though I may trim the bed top a smidge and get the lid installed.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

pretty much final trim on the body is done. Need to trim the Front bumper a bit and do a rear bumper of some sort.
Then paint and weather body and bed.

I am really liking how it is looking.
Just like a Redneck made it so it'll fit right in. lol

Old 12-08-2022, 09:12 PM   #18
RCC Addict

adjusted the shock collars on all 4 corners and dropped the ride height back down from the pics a couple comments back to get the links to level out a bit more and of course, lower that COG. Now to do a little testing.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:38 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice job!!! It looks pretty sick
Old 03-27-2023, 04:03 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Springs hitting the local airways so it's time to get back on it.

Got the bed pretty much finished up. Just need to add some parts and things in the back.
Decided on what I'm doing with the Cab. Hopefully will be getting to that in the next week or two.

Monster Mashup Build. Not sure what it will be. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial mashup monster truck - centre open diff? Bodgy Mega/Monster Trucks 11 07-24-2019 07:26 PM
Maisto Gellande ii Mashup Gnmetalprl Newbie General 5 07-14-2019 06:02 PM
Gellande 2 maisto jeep mashup Gnmetalprl Micro Scale Rigs 0 07-12-2019 08:24 PM
TF2/Ascender/10.2/Sawback Mashup Fishcharger Scale Videos! 0 11-10-2017 04:31 PM
Mat's Ascender / Wraith mashup! mat Vaterra Ascender 10 05-01-2015 10:14 AM