Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #1

Default Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build?

I'm thinking about doing as scale-accurate of a squarebody truck build as possible. This includes a front-motor design with a transmission & attached transfer case and a front axle with the pumpkin offset to the passenger side and of course, leaf springs. Aside from the TF2, what options do I have? I like the SSD Trail King, but the transfer case and front axle are offset to the wrong side.

Of course, I can piece it all together from individual parts, but even then, are the Yota axles the only option? What transmission/transfer case options are there like the SSD but with a passenger side transfer case?

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-14-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build?

sounds like a good project ... as far as Remenber the only available passenger side pumpkin is the GCM - Tiny Trucks USA - CMAX axles ... they offer full kits of parts but given the pumpkin is on the wrong side for most available transmissions it might be difficult to integrate. I have both a SSD tk and a VFD pro and i can tell you that there will be a lot of interference with both if the driveshaft had to cross over.

Last edited by Speedy-Triple; 10-14-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:26 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build?

You can flip the tcase on the SSD trans, super easy to do I did it for my 76 suburban build. And as far as passenger pumpkin you can use the RC4WD k44s, I used them as well.

Check out my thread on my squarebody suburban(post 35 and on is mostly chassis work that might help a little): 76 Suburban Build

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 10-15-2022 at 12:40 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build?

Take a look here. If you are set on leaf springs, that could be worked in.

https://gcmracing.ca/viewitem.php?productid=733
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

RCrun has their LC80 chassis. BRX01 chassis. Both may need an axle flip up front
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 12:04 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

JEC Racing - https://jecracing.com/

makes leaf mounts for AR44, AR45, Vanquish SCX10.2 Currie, SCX10.2 Currie X25,and even Traxxas Portal (under-mount style) axles.

He is showing sold out, but does periodic batch runs.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:05 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:55 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just quickly skimmed through and didn't see this mentioned, my apologies if it has been.

The SSD Trail King axles are a one piece tube/pumpkin, offset to the driver side. These are the ones that come with the TK kit.

SSDs Pro44, designed as an aftermarket part for the 10.2, is a three piece (Two axle tubes separated from the pumpkin) axle and can be offset to either side. Because the tubes, pumpkin, and link mounts are all separate, you can easily install the tubes on the "wrong" side for a passenger side offset.

PS: These are the JEC leaf mounts durok mentioned on Pro44s. If you want some better or specific pictures just let me know.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 10-17-2022 at 03:29 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

great ... this is why this place is awesome ... constructive thread with proven info that actually helps the RC community and lets us learn more about the hobby.

Speedy-Triple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post

great ... this is why this place is awesome ... constructive thread with proven info that actually helps the RC community and lets us learn more about the hobby.

I'm always happy to help wherever I can. Whether it's helpful to you, OP or somebody looking at this thread a year from now.

The amount of information to be learned here is invaluable and I'll gladly do what I can to contribute.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Ya i used the pro44s with my build as well.

The only real trick was getting the transfer case flipped and the holes in the right place to mount it on a right side drop to fit the drive shaft in the proper location.
Wish I had known about those JEC mounts when I was doing mine. would have made things much easier then the ubolt route I went.

Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Wish I had known about those JEC mounts when I was doing mine. would have made things much easier then the ubolt route I went.
I'd prefer the u-bolt route for looks but the JEC mounts are far easier to manage.

I have been (slowly) working on semi scale u-bolt spring/link mounts for the RC4WD Blackwell axles though.

Most scale accurate chassis/geartrain options for Square Body build? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Square Body Chevy from JConcepts djc32294 Paint and Body 10 08-08-2019 10:13 AM
Slider options? lilws6 Axial SCX10 II 8 03-24-2017 02:10 PM
Pinching square body chevy TLR_junkie Paint and Body 3 05-11-2016 03:09 PM
1936 square inch shop build Frigid River Venture Scale Accessories 4 03-16-2016 01:23 PM