Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Hawaii

Notices

Thread: Tough Truck Challenge Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Tough Truck Challenge Anyone?

While on the trail yesterday we talked about having a Tough Truck Challenge. Would probably take place around the start of summer that way everyone has some time to build up a rig. As far as classifications we thinking of having , a daily drivin class ( something that you drive everyday ) and a trail rig class ( one that would be on the trailer ).

Let me know what you guys/gals think?
garage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

what island are you on? im on big isle,and would be game for a ttc
enips443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by enips443 View Post
what island are you on? im on big isle,and would be game for a ttc
We're on Oahu. Still lots of time before a date is set. Maybe you & some of team a'ama can make it?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That would sound awsome!! Cool as shit man!! Is the two different classes gonna have tire size restrictions?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by garage5 View Post
While on the trail yesterday we talked about having a Tough Truck Challenge. Would probably take place around the start of summer that way everyone has some time to build up a rig. As far as classifications we thinking of having , a daily drivin class ( something that you drive everyday ) and a trail rig class ( one that would be on the trailer ).

Let me know what you guys/gals think?
Yup, good discussion we had. I guess first thing would be to get the classes straight. I think we only came up with 2 different ways.

1. 1.9 & 2.2
or
2. Street truck/daily driver & Trail truck/truggy.

The first option is pretty cut & dry. One or the other, but what about the new 1.55's? I like the second. One class would be something you see on the street. Driven to the trails & driven back home. The other class would be trail trucks, truggy or buggy. These types of trucks would need to be trailered to the trails, ie. not street legal.

Here's an example of what I would consider street trucks.

And these trail trucks.

Input?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I think a 1.9/1.55 max wheel size for the street class and for the modified class 2.2 max size?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
I think a 1.9/1.55 max wheel size for the street class and for the modified class 2.2 max size?
That's one way to look at it, but during our discussion, one thing everyone agreed on was to keep rules simple & have fun. There for we really don't want to eliminate anyone from a class for wheel/tire size. I don't think we could combine the two different classifications like you suggest. Reason being, what if someone wanted to run a bruiser/mounty? The only wheel for it is 2.2, but it's a street truck in my opinion. Another example, reduced 2.2 roc lox or other tall tire to 1.9 on a tuber/truggy? Not to say a tuber/truggy would do better than a street truck or vice versa. Again, this is only my opinion & we need everyones input.

Keep it comming.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

That is a good point, so maybe a max tire size? Is it legal for a truck to drive down the road on 50 inch tires??
Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That is a good point, so maybe a max tire size? Is it legal for a truck to drive down the road on 50 inch tires??
Haha, that's a good point. I doubt it.

Only think I know for certain is that we don't want comp rigs & MOA axles. This would include any TVP cassis, also kits or RTR's like the ax10 scorpion. Any scx10 would be fine.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
RCC Addict

O well, got plenty of time to make rules, summer is months away lol
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'd be in for this, at least when I can make it.

I like the idea of the steet and trail classes but that'd be hard to regulate. I'm guessing a SCX-10 Honcho would be Trail Class, but if I put a Bronco body on it would in then be Street? Same capablility just different body. And looking at that last pic with Ryde's Bruiser and the MRC it would be nuts thinking of those two running in the same class.

I know there's no perfect answer with scalers but the tire size seems more cut and dry.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawnmt View Post
I'd be in for this, at least when I can make it.

I like the idea of the steet and trail classes but that'd be hard to regulate. I'm guessing a SCX-10 Honcho would be Trail Class, but if I put a Bronco body on it would in then be Street? Same capablility just different body. And looking at that last pic with Ryde's Bruiser and the MRC it would be nuts thinking of those two running in the same class.

I know there's no perfect answer with scalers but the tire size seems more cut and dry.
Personally, I think the honcho is a street truck, just a taco w/all-pro flatbed. Not a truggy.

The pic with Ryde's bruser & mrc is for refrence to Ryde's truggy only,not the mrc. A MRC has TVP's so it's out.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
O well, got plenty of time to make rules, summer is months away lol
Actually, we need to get this hammered out so everyone can build. We haven't even bought up the different events yet.

Alan, you got that sled still?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

ditto on the second option....street legal and strickly off-road. it'll be easier in my opinion.
RydeFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Actually, we need to get this hammered out so everyone can build. We haven't even bought up the different events yet.

Alan, you got that sled still?
oh hell yeah................i wanna sample that sled!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

i'm so touched that my bruiser is picked for an example.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #17

i agree with street/trail rig as for the honcho it is still an out of the box rig that anyone can but at any lhs. let's keep it simple so any and everyone can paticipate from beginners to advanced. this is just my opinion and i think the focus should be everybody having fun at an event than to be worried about technical rules and regulations.for now let's all get it started as it grows and more people turn out classification's can be modified
animal 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal 4x4 View Post
i agree with street/trail rig as for the honcho it is still an out of the box rig that anyone can but at any lhs. let's keep it simple so any and everyone can paticipate from beginners to advanced. this is just my opinion and i think the focus should be everybody having fun at an event than to be worried about technical rules and regulations.for now let's all get it started as it grows and more people turn out classification's can be modified
Good idea, just have fun till you see if it gets big than set more guidelines. Run what you brung( scale of course lol)
Old 02-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Qkay, opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one ans everyone elses stinks but their own. So cover your noses! When we were dicsussioning the TTC at the GTG, I was more for the street/DD and trail truck/truggy classifications, but as I thought about it more I think tire size give more of an advantage/disadvanga in this case.

Either way I it's gonna cost me. If we go street and trail classes I HAVE to build a trail truck, if we go 1.9 and 2.2 I HAVE to build a 2.2.

As far as location........I guess we can leave that out til we decide on classifications.

Last edited by cutlaSS; 02-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS View Post
Qkay, opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one ans everyone elses stinks but their own. So cover your noses! When we were dicsussioning the TTC at the GTG, I was more for the street/DD and trail truck/truggy classifications, but as I thought about it more I think tire size give more of an advantage/disadvanga in this case.

Either way I it's gonna cost me. If we go street and trail classes I HAVE to build a trail truck, if we go 1.9 and 2.2 I HAVE to build a 2.2.

As far as location........I guess we can leave that out til we decide on classifications.
I agree.

Our main focus will be fun!