Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster Pro Handwound Rock Crawler motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #661
Quarry Creeper

Quick question John please.

I'm running a pair of these Pro's in 45T flavour in my XR10.

Problem is i just can't get anywhere near enough wheel speed even on 4S.
I'm currently running 14T pinions and as i'm wanting more wheel speed i was going to go up a pinion size or 2.

I'm pretty sure 15T will be fine, but i didn't want to order 16T or 17T and then find i'm burning the motor up.

What's your take on either 16T or 17T pinions with these motors on say 3S?

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #662
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There could be a few things at play. Are you using very small batteries? Have you timed the motors, or did you order them with timing? If the battery is not sufficient for the amp draw, or if the motors are timed at zero you can get some more power and speed from the system still.

Going up a few teeth won't hurt you, but I will always recommend volting up and gearing down vs increasing the pinion size for wheelspeed. If you have a temp gauge, keep the motors under 160f and things will be safe.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #663
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There could be a few things at play. Are you using very small batteries? Have you timed the motors, or did you order them with timing? If the battery is not sufficient for the amp draw, or if the motors are timed at zero you can get some more power and speed from the system still.

Going up a few teeth won't hurt you, but I will always recommend volting up and gearing down vs increasing the pinion size for wheelspeed. If you have a temp gauge, keep the motors under 160f and things will be safe.
I've tried it with several batteries, from 460mAh 40C packs through to my 6000mAh 130C packs.
The 6000mAh are the ones i'm using in my ERevo without any problems so i'm confident if they're powering the ERevo they'll supply more than enough for the XR10.

There is no noticeable speed difference between the packs, so to my mind that would confirm that the smaller packs are easily able to supply enough power to the motors.

To be honest i've not touched the motors or timing John.
I specified that they were going in a XR10 i believe you usually set 6° on these?

On the front motor the motors can is 3mm past the last end can mark.

I can't see the rear when it's on the truck so i'll pull it off

Problem with volting up and gearing down is the XR10 tranny really struggles on anything more than 3S.
With VP everything and RC4WD gears it's a LOT better but still physically fitting 4S, or 5S and getting any half decent run time isn't really possible.

Ideally i want decent torque with enough wheel speed to rock the truck when turtled or belly'd out on 2S or 3S.

Right now i don't have enough wheelspeed to rock the car never mind enough juice to self right when turtled.

I'll remove the motors and snap some pics of the timing marks, they should be how they left you though as the motors only have 20 mins very very easy driving on them.

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #664
Quarry Creeper

Here you go John, i popped the motors out and snapped a couple of pics of the timing marks.

Front

Rear

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #665
Rock Crawler

Hi John,

I have gotten on your web site several times trying to get my hands on a 16T. just wonderinhg what i'm missing do I need to put a special order in?
Moosekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Here you go John, i popped the motors out and snapped a couple of pics of the timing marks.

Front

Rear

Cheers
Mark
Either you have your pics backwards, or they are installed backwards. The reversed timing is for the rear, and the regular timing is for the front.

When you wear out the arms, you should probably go to some 35t armatures for more speed. It sounds like that is what you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMoosekey View Post
Hi John,

I have gotten on your web site several times trying to get my hands on a 16T. just wonderinhg what i'm missing do I need to put a special order in?
You can order them as customs, I have over a thousand blank motors here we can wind up. I will be sure there is plenty of customs available on the site for you.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #667
Rock Crawler

Thanks John ordered.
Moosekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #668
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TorqueMaster Pro Handwound Brushed 540 motors

all the pro motor's are out of stock and so are all the pro combo's any idea when I can get one for my son's wraith wanna get a torquemaster pro 30T combo.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #669
ATD

I have about two hours in trying to figure out how to order two 35 t motors. When I select the custom option which has been suggested a bunch of times it still says out of stock. I have read a couple of the motor threads and it looks like people are able to order the motors under custom and just specifying the wind. I am having no such luck. The pro 540 does not even have a check out option but yet at the top of the page it says to order them as a custom. How would you do that if you cant add them to a cart as a custom wind.
ATD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #670
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
all the pro motor's are out of stock and so are all the pro combo's any idea when I can get one for my son's wraith wanna get a torquemaster pro 30T combo.

I think right now the 'demand' far outweighs the supply. I have been patiently waiting to get some sort of combo , preferably with a 13T 2012 Team motor for a while now. Lets hope that John gets the new shop up and running soon, and we can all get what is considered the cream of the crop of Crawling motors
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #671
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhobby100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I have about two hours in trying to figure out how to order two 35 t motors. When I select the custom option which has been suggested a bunch of times it still says out of stock. I have read a couple of the motor threads and it looks like people are able to order the motors under custom and just specifying the wind. I am having no such luck. The pro 540 does not even have a check out option but yet at the top of the page it says to order them as a custom. How would you do that if you cant add them to a cart as a custom wind.
John has been super busy lately and has not had time to be on the forums much.
I would suggest sending an email, that way he or one of his people can respond to your questions in a more timely manner.

orders@holmeshobbies.com is to be used for outstanding order questions
warranty@holmeshobbies.com is to be used for warranty questions
Sales@holmeshobbies.com for pre sale advice
support@holmeshobbies.com for post sale support

For more information please see this post.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-...ouncement.html

Thanks.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 01-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #672

Email sent
Thank you
Jtun5608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #673
Quarry Creeper

Hi John,

I have a couple of questions about the motor.

Am I correct in thinking the 35T 2012 Team TorqueMaster Pros are 3s safe on a dual FXR set-up?

You ask for vehicle type when ordering. Is this so you reverse one of the motors for proper running on a MOA (XR10)?

Thanks in advance.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #674
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mides View Post
Hi John,

I have a couple of questions about the motor.

Am I correct in thinking the 35T 2012 Team TorqueMaster Pros are 3s safe on a dual FXR set-up?

You ask for vehicle type when ordering. Is this so you reverse one of the motors for proper running on a MOA (XR10)?

Thanks in advance.
Yup
jpboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #675
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to Holmes Hobbies for custom building a motor for me. For those that would like to know, John specifically built something that would be comparable, if not slightly faster than a 17.5T Brushless motor for a Touring Car application.

From the time I got my first hand-wound motor back in the late 1990's, there really is just not enough that can be said for the power and torque that can be had from a really good hand-wound motor.

So, with the brief testing that I have done, I would happily say that the Torque Master Handwound is worth the wait and price.

Thanks again John.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #676
RCC Addict

I replied to my order regarding the motor choice. Hope you read this but I'm sure I'll hear from ya soon. Thanks John.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #677
V.O

Just got my 27T in & man is this a thing of beauty. Will post up after install. Do you recommend using spade connections for the motor side?
V.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.O View Post
Just got my 27T in & man is this a thing of beauty. Will post up after install. Do you recommend using spade connections for the motor side?
Soldering on the leads is preferable, as spade connectors just don't stay on well and wiggle loose over time. Best choice of all would be a tight fitting solid copper spade soldered on to keep contaminants out.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #679
V.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Soldering on the leads is preferable, as spade connectors just don't stay on well and wiggle loose over time. Best choice of all would be a tight fitting solid copper spade soldered on to keep contaminants out.
Got it, thanks for the quick reply. Thanks again for the quality product.
V.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #680
Rock Crawler

Sorry mods put in wrong thread to begin with

Im wondering on motor size and wind, my ttc rig is running stock gearing w wraith trans, spur, and axles. Im lookin at the HH-TM-PRO-527 in 27t ceramic abec7 and fast pack. weight is roughly 10 pounds w 5.75 tires and brxl on 3s maybe go up to 4s. My tekin 35t tok a crap on me. Ideas/suggestions?
jcsaxial is offline   Reply With Quote

TorqueMaster Pro Handwound Rock Crawler motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 w/ HH TorqueMaster Pro 540 Handwound nafie Electronics 2 07-16-2011 10:12 AM