Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster Pro Handwound Rock Crawler motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #361
Rock Stacker

I also need a 35T and a set of brushes, when will you have them in stock?
John Galbreath Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #362
I wanna be Dave

JRH, I saw on your site, some recomendations for your motors. Would one of your Handwound 540 work with a 4 cell 20c lipo in a LCC? If you think they would, what winding would you recommend?

I am currently running your handwound 35t with a 3 cell and a 12t pinion, and it works realy well. I am just exploring options for getting a little more wheel speed while keeping my run time. And I realy like the Volt UP / Gear Down theory. Thanks. I am also wanting to put some more volts through my new BR-XL.

Last edited by 70duncan; 12-14-2009 at 04:32 PM.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #363
RCC Addict

could i please get an email back? please? thanks
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #364
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

My email is out today, not sure if the outbound server is out or if the problem is elsewhere.

For 4s use, I would say a 35t motor or slower. That would really give you the pep.

I have a batch of yokomo builds on the way, and 200 more standard builds should hit the US any day now. I have changed my design for standup brushes, as the motor runs cooler and the comm/ brushes last longer on higher voltages. I want them to last as long as possible for you guys.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #365
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
My email is out today, not sure if the outbound server is out or if the problem is elsewhere.

For 4s use, I would say a 35t motor or slower. That would really give you the pep.

I have a batch of yokomo builds on the way, and 200 more standard builds should hit the US any day now. I have changed my design for standup brushes, as the motor runs cooler and the comm/ brushes last longer on higher voltages. I want them to last as long as possible for you guys.
ok maybe you could anwer my 2 questions here then? whats the main (noticeable, or visual difference) difference between the yokomo handwounds and the pro handwounds? and i would be safe running the 30t on 4s 30c in my losi ya? thanks man, cant wait to get my motor and order the xl !!!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #366

The yokomo has a smaller comm, standup brushes, and may have a different size armature webbing. Driving one instead of the normal TM- can't tell a difference really.

30t on 4s, still safe IMO. You may be more likely to throw a wind at full throttle though.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #367
RCC Addict

Quote:
The yokomo has a smaller comm, standup brushes, and may have a different size armature webbing. Driving one instead of the normal TM- can't tell a difference really.

30t on 4s, still safe IMO. You may be more likely to throw a wind at full throttle though.
ok thanks, and im not wanting to bash you or anything, so there is no reason to spend the extra money on the pro handwound vs the yokomo? :? and what exactly is "throwing a wind?" sorry, im still a newb
Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #368

The yokomo cans were made like 5 years ago, so the cans were cheaper. Thus, I sell them to you for cheaper. All of my normal TM motors are built to order a few times per year, and with the falling $$ against the Japanese $ they keep getting more expensive.

Throwing a wind is when the motor breaks, a wind comes off the armature and ruins it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #369
RCC Addict

Ok, makes sense, thanks for the replies!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #370

Default good stuff

good stuff and lots of it to
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #371
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Do your regular Pro Handwounds now have the better standup brushes or just the yokomo motors? Just wanting to know so I can order the correct one for my rig.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #372

The regular PRO handwounds have laydown brushes, and the yokomo have standup. Future PRO motors will have standup brushes too.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #373
Pebble Pounder

In need of two 35T TM's! Any idea when I can see those back in stock? Thanks man.
BlueRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #374

I have plenty of the yokomo build in stock. It will be about two weeks or three before I can get more standard ones finished. The only difference is the comm size between them, and the yokomo is cheaper in price.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:40 PM   #375
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have plenty of the yokomo build in stock. It will be about two weeks or three before I can get more standard ones finished. The only difference is the comm size between them, and the yokomo is cheaper in price.
Sorry, you'll have to forgive me. I'm a newbie when it comes to motors. Can you explain what a "comm" is? What's the difference going to be between the two types? Thanks JRH!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #376

read up here http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...711#post919711
Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #377
Pebble Pounder

Sweet, thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #378
I wanna be Dave

Just a couple more questions on your motors. Do the stand up brushes have less torque? I thought I remember reading that the lay down brushes had more torque.

Also, will we be able to order the Pro motor in stand up or lay down? Or are you going to do stand up on all motors only?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #379

I have determined that standup brushes work better with the construction of crawler motors, for longevity reasons. The power does not change coming from the motor, nor does the torque that the motor can produce. A laydown brush can produce more torque for a given wind/ voltage combination however, and a 35t laydown will spin faster than the standup. In other words, the laydown brush will pull more amperage. The laydown brush at zero timing is just a beast for arcing on the comm however, and from my testing and customer feedback I have determined that laydown brushes cause short motor life.

To offset the difference in brushes you could go down a few winds on the motor, say from a 35 to a 33. OR you can just run more voltage and get the best of both worlds. 55t on 6s is awful nice.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #380
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input. Just what I needed to know.

TorqueMaster Pro Handwound Rock Crawler motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 w/ HH TorqueMaster Pro 540 Handwound nafie Electronics 2 07-16-2011 10:12 AM