RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Holmes Hobbies (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/)
-   -   Caring for your new Brushed motor (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/125790-caring-your-new-brushed-motor.html)

JohnRobHolmes 08-20-2012 08:58 AM

Re: Caring for your new Brushed motor

Hard to tell where the timing is, but it does look like your brushes could be getting short. Have you read over the documents on holmeshobbies.com/blog to see if your timing and brushes are ok?

JohnRobHolmes 08-20-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayrat (Post 3850694)
Bump...ha ha. So, I've only had experience with brushless motors in the past. I recently built an xr10 with 2 rockstar motors. They are sparking like mad, I thought that was normal until reading this thread. Now in order to stop the sparking should I advance the timing? If so how much? Also, why did they ship like this? You would think a company like Novak would ship products that are ready to use. Thanks for any insight...

Jay.

Novak would supply them at zero timing. It may be just a smidge off though, so you are getting sparks in forwards. A few degrees of timing is good, 6 is typically used. Read over my blog for some pics and ways to set your timing.

JimDaBomb 08-20-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 3878334)
Hard to tell where the timing is, but it does look like your brushes could be getting short. Have you read over the documents on holmeshobbies.com/blog to see if your timing and brushes are ok?

My timing was at 0 in the video, I changed it to about 6 degrees advanced afterward. It just sounds different than it did and smells funny too. I've had it apart and cleaned it with electric motor cleaner. The brushes aren't super short but it's possible, I'll check out that blog and possibly buy some brushes for it too, otherwise I love the motors performance. Having a drag brake that actually works is nice.

JohnRobHolmes 08-20-2012 10:02 AM

Could need cleaning as well, or the smell could have come from getting overheated. The sound is likely caused by some damage on the comm.

tuner 11-25-2012 06:27 PM

Would there be any negative affects on taking a epic fixed timing motor and modding it to zero timing ? The can with two flat parts on it. And I want to throw some intigy 35 guts in it too.

JohnRobHolmes 11-26-2012 07:49 AM

As long as you ensured timing was not negative, it would be just fine. It's always fun to throw together something from parts and make it work. That is half the fun of crawling!

tuner 11-26-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 4032330)
As long as you ensured timing was not negative, it would be just fine. It's always fun to throw together something from parts and make it work. That is half the fun of crawling!

If I put these in a moa how would I set up the timing on the reversed motor? I have them both about 3 degrees positive. Should I do the reversed one 3 degrees negative?

tuner 11-26-2012 06:52 PM

I just put them both at zero timing. These have allot more speed and power than my old intigy 35's. "thumbsup"

duramaxcj5 02-16-2013 10:17 AM

How long should I break in my HH team pro flow crawler motors?

JohnRobHolmes 02-16-2013 10:43 AM

3 to 4 minutes at 3v if you need to. All Pro motors are broken in before leaving, so if it is new you are OK to install and run.

Ben.Tate 03-21-2013 06:36 PM

John,

My two trailmaster sports came in today and I installed one in my scx10. It is noticeably faster in reverse but not throwing sparks in forward. I am using a traxxas waterproof esc with the stock receiver/transmitter. Also, how will using an 8.4v battery affect the motor? I know these are "basher" motors but I've been through a few in the past couple weeks and hope to run these for a while before tossing them.

Bansh88 04-17-2013 07:45 AM

Got a brand new Torquemaster Sport 45T this week. After a dusty run yesterday, I decided to look up cleaning procedures. DOH! Just saw the stuff about break in and timimg.

So....I did not do any break in. I have not timed the motor. Have I done damage? What can I do to remedy?
The motor runs fantastic! Is timing adjustment a must? I am strictly slow crawling

Bansh88 04-17-2013 07:14 PM

Man. I got a lot of questions. Just set my timing...I think. I looked through all the threads. Most of it was completely Greek!
There was no explanation of how to turn the endbell (or what exactly and endbell is). I assumed I unscrew the 2 small screws and pull the thing off? I adjusted the small bit with the threads a tiny bit.
NO idea how to get the endbell back on. I saw the mention of using plastic or wood but in what fashion? I eventually pulled on the little white wires to part the little copper bits to get the endbell back on.
Of course, the screws barely screwed in because what little thread there was, was now just a hair less.
yadda yadda yadda, it works. I adjusted to what I guess it 7degrees. I saw the photos showing 12, 24, 45, whatever.
So now it's actually a tiny bit faster in forward. Seems like it at least. And in reverse, It has a slightly rougher sound. Is this normal?

I was really afraid I was going to destroy the motor today. It would be nice to see a complete noobs guide to Holmes motors. This was my second purchase. I'm extremely happy with product and service. I plan on Holmes being my motor for the future.

JohnRobHolmes 04-17-2013 07:33 PM

Sounds like you got it right. I'm working on a more comprehensive guide to motors and systems right now. We have a new worker starting Monday that will be helping create the media. Goal is to get the first one up within a week.

bouky 04-18-2013 02:16 AM

Hi, on the second link, on the second post of John, i read this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irc Cooper
Scribe the neutral point on your motor for future reference. Determining amperage reading appropriate for advance. Just for example -- Lets assume you expect to get average flight times of 7 minutes from a 2000 mah pack. The average amp draw would be 2 Times (60/7) or 17 amps approx. If your neutral no load amps were 1.3 your desired advance will be 1.3amps + (10% times 17amps) or 3 amps.

I don't understand how it determined to calculate the 17 amps???
I thought the 10% were 10% of the neutral no load amps :oops:

Somebody would explain me?

Thank you,
Francky;-)

Crawlerfiend 05-11-2013 08:01 AM

John,

I recently received my pro custom 540 35T. I would like to know the bearing sizes that are used at both ends? Thanks!

Ernie W 06-13-2013 09:17 AM

I know this is a fairly dumb question, but what is the typical life span on brushes? I run a crawlmaster pro 13t in my wraith on a 3s lipo and it has eat the brushes up. I had taken it apart a while back and the brushes looked good, but worn. Hadn't drove it in a while so I drove it the other day and it quit on me. One brush was almost completely gone. It was angled and cutting into where the wire is mounted below the comm. I was just have to send it in to be rebuilt. What does that typically run?

eddiekfx 07-21-2013 02:51 AM

Hi is there a breaking process for the twin hammers hh 13t motor can u pm any info thanks

winnerone23 07-21-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiekfx (Post 4406943)
Hi is there a breaking process for the twin hammers hh 13t motor can u pm any info thanks

You shouldn't need to do anything for break in. They leave HH broke in. :thumbup:

eddiekfx 07-21-2013 06:53 PM

Sweet thanks :-)