Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Caring for your new Brushed motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Caring for your new Brushed motor

I am looking at getting a new motor after burning up a brood stump humper and a Novak 35T can motor. I was looking at the 13T hammers torquemaster but it says for use with 2S. I run 3S in my Hammers with a AE2 axial ESC and BEC set at 7.4 volts. Will the 13T hammers torquemaster hold up to 3S or should I look into getting something like the Torquemaster Pro with a 13T wind? I mostly do scale crawling (G6's) and scale comps, but I do like to drop the hammer in 2nd gear and rip donuts and jumps. I really dont want to blow through another motor in 2 months again. My hammers does see some water but nothing real deep or muddy. I plan on eventually going brushless but the cost of it all right now isnt an option (moving, kids starting school, life), but I dont want to keep throwing cheap motors in my car I have to change out every month or two either. Thanks

Last edited by iluvdrt; 08-20-2013 at 04:20 PM.
iluvdrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #102
Rock Crawler

Default Caring for my new 35t TorqueMaster pro 540

Hey John, I received my 35t TorqueMaster pro today!

If I understand the FAQ on your website, I do not need to break in the motor since it's a pro yes?

Also, it looks like you've set the timing already at +7 deg or so for my LNC. Thanks!

I really think the motor will be a great fit for my LNC; I only run it in good conditions (no water or excessive dust) for a short time (1350mah pack) and maintain it frequently.

I look forward to many seasons with TorqueMaster pro!
Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #103
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yes, it is broken in and ready to go
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #104
Pebble Pounder

John, the expert 540 will not come pre-broke in correct? And you recommend 3s over 2s? And why? For strictly crawling, trail running, is 6° advance needed or should I just stay 0°? How often (hours) should I expect to have the comm cut and brushes in something like this?
Thanks
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #105

ok i am buying a tekin 35t that has ben used the guy i am buyint the tekin from says that the motor will need brushes replaced soon how can you tell your brushes are going and when they do where do i buy new brushes
WestT bacwoods rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:12 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestT bacwoods rc View Post
ok i am buying a tekin 35t that has ben used the guy i am buyint the tekin from says that the motor will need brushes replaced soon how can you tell your brushes are going and when they do where do i buy new brushes

Is it tekin 35t handwoud pro or HD?
Towerhobbies has a lot of brushes for your motor.
Reedy 767 laydown brush is a great deal for tekin handwoud pro and stand up brush for tekin HD
Cmiiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hagnyosaroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #107

I have a puller 500 flow crawl motor. I am wondering how hot can the soldering post get when the motor is running. Is it normal for it to get super hot? probably above 180f. But the motor can is just warm to touch. Thanks
xabs1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:20 AM   #108
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
About 7 degrees of timing is what we have found to be an optimal balance of brush life and reverse/ brake performance below 20,000 rpm.
I realize this is an ancient post, but it's relevant to my interests at present.

What have you found to be optimal timing for motors above 20,000rpm, say closer to the 35,000-40,000rpm range? ("optimal" in this case meaning lowest wear, not highest speed -- I can figure out the highest-speed part without expert advice. )
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #109
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

About 12 degrees if you aren't using reverse heavily. If there is a lot of heavy braking or reverse, 6 degrees is just fine.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Thanks, that's about what I figured. I haven't bothered to advance the timing on my electric motors before except to eke out a few extra RPM when I couldn't achieve it through gearing, but now that I've finally put 2+2 together regarding inductive reactance I understand why advancing the endbell timing is important on a motor that runs one direction most of the time. In a nutshell, inductive reactance slows-down the buildup of the EMF around each armature coil, so the real-world effect of zero endbell timing is to produce slightly delayed armature timing. I don't yet understand why delayed timing causes brushes to burn-up, but I'm willing to give that fact the benefit of the doubt because all the experts say so.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Bc at complete tdc it would stall

I have a degree in small engine repair
Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kongluc; 06-22-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Edit
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Electric motors, not combustion engines. I've never had an electric motor refuse to run even with severely delayed timing, it just doesn't run very well -- and apparently the comm and brushes would be damaged in short order, too.

You're right about stalling at TDC in combustion engines, though.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:17 AM   #113
RCC Addict

What about for a 20-30 turn motor being used in a trail-truck? It does some crawling, but mostly trailing, so the motor runs forward about 90% of the time. Should I set that motor to 0°, 6°, or something else? I understand brush wear will be lower running with slightly advanced timing, but will the increased brush wear when running in reverse outweigh that benefit, even if it only runs in reverse about 10% of the time?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I set mine to 6 degrees advance and compared it to another set at 0 degrees, after a dozen or so packs ran thru them I could not see any difference in the wear on the brushes or comm. I now set all mine to 6 degrees advance. These were all HH motors, 27T TM expert motors were the test subjects
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:32 AM   #115
RCC Addict

If you can't see any difference, why change the timing away from 0° at all?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

just because i don't see any difference in wear doesn't mean there isn't a performance difference. The advance gives me a performance boost over no advance at all.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Ah. Fair enough.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/125790-caring-your-new-brushed-motor.html
Posted By For Type Date
learn about brushed motors-here- - Mini-ZRacer.com Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 07:40 AM