Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Tekin RS systems- Sensored control, Brushless reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Tekin RS systems- Sensored control, Brushless reliability

I have been testing the Tekin RS esc and motors for a while now. It is actually the ESC that I have been using with my prototype sensored motors. I have to say it is the finest do it all ESC available right now.

The short of it- control brushed motors, sensorless brushless, and sensored brushless. 3 cell lipo max input, fully adjustable, and AWESOME for crawling, racing or bashing. The button programming is super easy and fast, for those days when you want to swap out batteries or motors on the fly.

Dimensions: 1.3 x 1.00" x .45" (33 x 25.4 x 11.5mm)
Weight: 2.0oz with included 12G wiring
TINY!!

I am currently carrying the 21.5 motors in combo form, as they are plenty peppy and fast with a 3 cell lipo. If you want me to get the 17.5 or any other motors in just tell me and I will order them up.

For more detailed specs, just click the pic and you can read up on all the particulars.

JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice John

I have the 21.5 system in my SCX-10 and its a blast to drive. Has more wheelspeed than a 35t and will creep slower than a FXR and 35T. Im really happy with it.
TLTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

What kind of 35t are you comparing it to?

It is a really nice combo. I get tired of fooling with brushes on my play rigs, and this combo is the ticket.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
What kind of 35t are you comparing it to?

It is a really nice combo. I get tired of fooling with brushes on my play rigs, and this combo is the ticket.
An Integy cheapy so its probably not saying much.

I would like a nice hand wound but I have a 7t puller waiting to go in.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #5

The 7t has better low speed control than a handwound 35t, so you aren't missing anything except for power and an ounce of weight
Old 03-06-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

How is the programming on the controller?

Does the ESC have decent braking?

The sensorless should be smooth starting like a brush motor right?
legobrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I miss my 7T puller still. i have this system with a novak goat 18.5 motor in my 1.9 tuber, and i cannot get the thing to stop cogging. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I guess it is hard to compare when I have been running the 7T pullers since I got into this sport. I just think the 7T puller is by far the best do it all motor out there.

Thanks John for making such an amazing motor . If I dont get the issues worked out of my tekin rs and novak system I will be buying another 7t puller again.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
I miss my 7T puller still. i have this system with a novak goat 18.5 motor in my 1.9 tuber, and i cannot get the thing to stop cogging. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I guess it is hard to compare when I have been running the 7T pullers since I got into this sport. I just think the 7T puller is by far the best do it all motor out there.

Thanks John for making such an amazing motor . If I dont get the issues worked out of my tekin rs and novak system I will be buying another 7t puller again.
Motor and ESC connections A, B, and C have to match up or you will get cogging.

This may be hard to do since you are using a Novak motor, its probably not labeled A, B, C. You may have to swap them untill it runs smooth.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #9

put it into sensored mode, instead of hybrid. Give that a shot.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Little slow on brushless stuff, what does the 21.5 compare to in brushed motors turnwise? May pick one up Friday for the Losi I got ordered.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTRyan View Post
Motor and ESC connections A, B, and C have to match up or you will get cogging.

This may be hard to do since you are using a Novak motor, its probably not labeled A, B, C. You may have to swap them untill it runs smooth.
Yea the wires are matched (the novak is marked a,b,c)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
put it into sensored mode, instead of hybrid. Give that a shot.
I checked the box for sensored (enabled) i am using version 3.24 any other suggestions? I am running a max amps 3 cell with I think a 50c punch and should have enough power. I also tried my 2 cell pack thunder power v2 extreme 2200 25c and 50 burst.

Last edited by Chaotic Crawlers; 05-12-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Yea the wires are matched (the novak is marked a,b,c

I checked the box for sensored (enabled) i am using version 1.8 someone said I need the newer team version of Tekins software.
hmmm. Does the cogging lessen if you unplug the sensor harness. When I first hooked mine up I had A and C backwards so I had really bad cogging. Would not start untill about 75% throttle It got better when I unplugged the sensor harness. When I noticed the wiring problem and fixed that all cogging went away with the sensor harness plugged back in. This was using the Tekin 21.5 motor.

If you cant get it working try sending a PM to Randy P. He is the Tekin Tech support guy. He can also hook you up with the 1.94 software.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Little slow on brushless stuff, what does the 21.5 compare to in brushed motors turnwise? May pick one up Friday for the Losi I got ordered.

Compared to a brushed motor, it is kinda like a 30 or 35t on speed. Since the ESC can kick a lot of timing onto the motor it is hard to compare. I like the 21.5 or the 17.5 for most crawling situations.

I am working on the issue. The latest firmware seems to have helped it in sensored mode, so contact Tekin if you need newer firmware.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to bring an old topic back, but I've got a quick question for you. You are using the RS ESC, not the RS-Pro correct? Is the internal BEC strong enough for most of your needs? I would be using it in one of the Losi 2.2 crawlers with dig... would you recommend getting an external BEC, or will the built in one handle the duties fine?

Thanks in advance for any info.
jnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnev View Post
Sorry to bring an old topic back, but I've got a quick question for you. You are using the RS ESC, not the RS-Pro correct? Is the internal BEC strong enough for most of your needs? I would be using it in one of the Losi 2.2 crawlers with dig... would you recommend getting an external BEC, or will the built in one handle the duties fine?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Depends on what servos/battery you are planning on using.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Both servos would be digital... probably a Hitec 5245 for the dig, and the Hitec 7955 for the steering. And the battery would most likely be a flightpower or Thunderpower 3s 1350mah lipo.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnev View Post
Both servos would be digital... probably a Hitec 5245 for the dig, and the Hitec 7955 for the steering. And the battery would most likely be a flightpower or Thunderpower 3s 1350mah lipo.
Definitely go with a BEC then;) I tried mine without a CCBEC in the living room, and first time I stuffed the tire into the couch it overloaded the internal BEC.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Interested in how this set up works in a Losi. I hate to have to go brushless, but if it is the best option than so be it. I am used to wheel speed, so I think I should probably go with the 17.5 over the 21.5?
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Interested in how this set up works in a Losi. I hate to have to go brushless, but if it is the best option than so be it. I am used to wheel speed, so I think I should probably go with the 17.5 over the 21.5?
I'm using the Tekin RS with a Speed Passion 17.5, 12T pinion and 3S 1300 25C Lipo in my Losi and that combo is sweet. Good low speed crawl, near verticle climbs and more than enough wheelspeed. Doesn't get any warmer than a 35T-55T brushed.

I'm using the sensored only, no drag brake, timing at 0. I also hae a Common Sense BEC putting out 6V to the Spektrum Rx, Hobbico CS-170 and Losi MSX servos.

Came in fourth at it's first comp which was one of the most diffiult the club ever had. I think it came in second among the shafties.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote