Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #201
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
thats a bit disappointing to hear...are you running dual esc's or one? and do you think two esc's might work better at giving power to the steering servo or is it gonna be same ....same..?
guess I should be looking at running my CC BEC after all?
x2 , that was what made me pull the trigger on this thing. .. . o well, as long as it works good it could still be worth it. .. .
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #202
PapaGriz Yo

I'm running 4ws on Peanut now with this ESC. I have a Hitec 5995 (333 oz/in) up front and a Hitec 645 (133 oz/in) in the rear. Both are running off the internal BEC.

I have not experienced any steering issues while running 3S LiPo, a 21T HHH 540, 22/81 gearing, and Hot Bodies Rovers. The wheels are Axial 2.2 8 holes with a full wrap of weight on all four wheels.

I have been extremely happy with the performance of this ESC so far.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 12-24-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #203
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
JRH I got a quick question for you...
do I have to use the bullet connectors you sent with the esc's I bought or can I just solder wires right into the esc's motor connections??...I dont really have room for the extra height the bullets would cause...
thanks
If you solder to the outside of the post it would allow the plug to be used later. I would recommend using the bullets but soldering the wire on sideways, it is very handy to have those plugs there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
When are we going to be able to change the throttle curves on these?
I really don't like the stock the linear throttle cure that's on this thing.

Also, fyi for those looking to run 3s or more voltage to these things, the internal BEC is not enough for your 300-400oz servos. I've noticed a big decrease in power on my scalers, even my 1.9, and my berg running 4s and a Hitec 7950TH won't even steer when there is a good load on the servo. The big servo's still need the power of the 10amp CC BEC versus the 5amp internal BEC on these.

We are still working on the throttle curves, it is in the works.

I have seen a few issues with really high torque servos, it is true that the internal BEC just doesn't match the power of the Castle BEC. I don't know if we can ever really get around using an external BEC on the very high performance setups. The next ESC I am designing will try to address this in one way or another.

Most setups won't need an external BEC, but if you are really pushing the rig hard or competing it may be worth it to have one handy for testing.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #204
RCC Addict

And just for the entertainment value......

A BRXL, HH 3s Lipo, and gray can HHH 35t motor powered my shafty rig to a win at the last weekend's NWARC comp at the "fake dams" site.

No issues at all with the BEC and JR8711 servo. Had to wiggle the servo to get the front end to slide through one gate.

Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #205
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
We are still working on the throttle curves, it is in the works.

I have seen a few issues with really high torque servos, it is true that the internal BEC just doesn't match the power of the Castle BEC. I don't know if we can ever really get around using an external BEC on the very high performance setups. The next ESC I am designing will try to address this in one way or another.

Most setups won't need an external BEC, but if you are really pushing the rig hard or competing it may be worth it to have one handy for testing.
Good to hear about the throttle curves, let me know if you need any testing or something done. The sooner that can be released the better.

As for the BEC, I think the internal one will be fine for the 1.9 scalers, but everything else is going to have to go back to the external.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #206
Got Worms?

Quote:
When are we going to be able to change the throttle curves on these?
I really don't like the stock the linear throttle cure that's on this thing.

Also, fyi for those looking to run 3s or more voltage to these things, the internal BEC is not enough for your 300-400oz servos. I've noticed a big decrease in power on my scalers, even my 1.9, and my berg running 4s and a Hitec 7950TH won't even steer when there is a good load on the servo. The big servo's still need the power of the 10amp CC BEC versus the 5amp internal BEC on these.
So that be a good reason for my 7955 stallin out alot, i thought i burnt up my servo because no one else was having this problem, i hope dual esc will fix this because i'm getting ready to order one, i was also wondering can i send back an esc to get it waterproofed
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #207
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
thats a bit disappointing to hear...are you running dual esc's or one? and do you think two esc's might work better at giving power to the steering servo or is it gonna be same ....same..?
guess I should be looking at running my CC BEC after all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
So that be a good reason for my 7955 stallin out alot, i thought i burnt up my servo because no one else was having this problem, i hope dual esc will fix this because i'm getting ready to order one, i was also wondering can i send back an esc to get it waterproofed
I'm just running one esc in the stuff I have these esc's in. The higher input voltage you run the less amps the BEC can output. That goes for all BEC units including the CC external BEC. This is the reason why my berg running 4s lipo and a Hitec 7950 is really lacking power. I'm sure on 3s it wouldn't be as bad and on 5s it would be a lot worse. If you were to run two escs it should theoretically allow the amps from both BEC's to go to the servo while maintaining the 6v. Will the reciever be able to handle the power? No idea, it might burn it up, it might be fine, JRH will have to chime in on that. I have run an external CC BEC along with the internal bec of a sidewinder or mamba maxx together in a spektrum reciever and never had a problem though.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #208
Got Worms?

Quote:
I have run an external CC BEC along with the internal bec of a sidewinder or mamba maxx together in a spektrum reciever and never had a problem though.
I'm planning on running dual hh esc's, a 7955 on a ar600 (the DSM spektrum airplane receiver) I hope it doesn't burn up
Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm just running one esc in the stuff I have these esc's in. The higher input voltage you run the less amps the BEC can output. That goes for all BEC units including the CC external BEC. This is the reason why my berg running 4s lipo and a Hitec 7950 is really lacking power. I'm sure on 3s it wouldn't be as bad and on 5s it would be a lot worse. If you were to run two escs it should theoretically allow the amps from both BEC's to go to the servo while maintaining the 6v. Will the reciever be able to handle the power? No idea, it might burn it up, it might be fine, JRH will have to chime in on that. I have run an external CC BEC along with the internal bec of a sidewinder or mamba maxx together in a spektrum reciever and never had a problem though.
thanks for the response...when I ran my cc bec on my spektrum RX it really seemed to hate any Volts above 6v(lots of random glitches)...but now I'm running a 4pk and although I have not tried it yet Harley tells me the futaba stuff is rated at 9v to the RX...hopefully thats true cause I think I will be ok it that's the case.?
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #210
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
thanks for the response...when I ran my cc bec on my spektrum RX it really seemed to hate any Volts above 6v(lots of random glitches)...but now I'm running a 4pk and although I have not tried it yet Harley tells me the futaba stuff is rated at 9v to the RX...hopefully thats true cause I think I will be ok it that's the case.?
The Spektrum RX's are rated to 9.6V. I've ran all of mine at 7.4V and never had a problem. Regardless though, voltage and amperage are totally different. Just because the RX can handle more voltage doesn't mean that it will be able to handle more amps at a lower voltage, such as running dual bec's at 6V. The RX won't see a difference between the single bec or the dual bec as far as voltage, it will still see 6V.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #211
Got Worms?

so a spectrum rx can handle dual hh speed controls also will i have double the amperage so my servo will not stall any more
Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #212
Rock Crawler

I'm not putting the motor amp load on the ESC that a MOA rig would, I run a DNA SS chassis with two servo's and a single motor.

My servo's are a Z9100T for steering, and a 225MG for dig shifting. The 225mg's are leftovers from upgrading my T-Rex 500's servos. I run 2S and 3S lipo's with a 35T handwound arm in a EPIC Cobalt II can. With the 2S/3S batteries, there is no noticeable servo stalling, even when dig shifting-full-throttle-full-steering lock.

I decided to "stuff" one of my 5S T-Rex packs into it and noticed the steering was lacking when "on" throttle/dig/full lock steering. The 6S T-Rex pack(6s1p 30C 2650mah), made it even worse. It would not steer when using full throttle and dig. Trying to dig, while steering, blipping the throttle, it was fine. Even with the 6S pack.

I only used the 5S and 6S packs to see what would happen. I don't own any 4S packs, so I can't comment on those. For "NORMAL" people who rarely go above 3S, you don't need a BEC. I'm not going to use a BEC with this ESC, I'll never want to see my motor arcing like it did with the 5S/6S packs.

Awesome ESC. Just being able to use 4/5/6S Lipo's is a benefit, and tribute to how stout this ESC seems to be. You don't need to go any faster, you're crawling.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #213
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
so a spectrum rx can handle dual hh speed controls also will i have double the amperage so my servo will not stall any more
The RX "should" be able to handle both bec at the same time. It should also allow the amperage of both bec's to combine for the servo. I'm not guaranteeing it won't fry something, but I think it'll be fine. Give it a shot and tell how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnss View Post
I'm not putting the motor amp load on the ESC that a MOA rig would, I run a DNA SS chassis with two servo's and a single motor.

My servo's are a Z9100T for steering, and a 225MG for dig shifting. The 225mg's are leftovers from upgrading my T-Rex 500's servos. I run 2S and 3S lipo's with a 35T handwound arm in a EPIC Cobalt II can. With the 2S/3S batteries, there is no noticeable servo stalling, even when dig shifting-full-throttle-full-steering lock.

I decided to "stuff" one of my 5S T-Rex packs into it and noticed the steering was lacking when "on" throttle/dig/full lock steering. The 6S T-Rex pack(6s1p 30C 2650mah), made it even worse. It would not steer when using full throttle and dig. Trying to dig, while steering, blipping the throttle, it was fine. Even with the 6S pack.

I only used the 5S and 6S packs to see what would happen. I don't own any 4S packs, so I can't comment on those. For "NORMAL" people who rarely go above 3S, you don't need a BEC. I'm not going to use a BEC with this ESC, I'll never want to see my motor arcing like it did with the 5S/6S packs.

Awesome ESC. Just being able to use 4/5/6S Lipo's is a benefit, and tribute to how stout this ESC seems to be. You don't need to go any faster, you're crawling.
Thanks for trying that out and giving us all of this good information.
Like I was stating earlier, on all bec's, the higher the input voltage the lower the output amperage of the bec. In turn, this equals less steering power under high load of the servo. The heavier the rig and the heavier the wheels you are trying to turn the more you are going to notice the lack of power. Also, with the higher torque digital servos, such as your 7950's 7955's and 8711's, you are going notice the lack of power a lot more than cheaper analog servo's such as a 645 or 985.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Is there really only one left in stock John or do you have more available? Putting together a group order for the local guys and I was hoping to order some later this week.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #215

Almost out of stock here, but a few more hundered are scheduled to come in pretty quick.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #216
On the lookout for Rocks

Seeing that V1.05(Beta) is out. This must to be the update that you talked about a few weeks ago. It has the option for Drag Brake Type...Passive or Holmes Hold.

*******EDIT********
Guess it still needs some work. I just put the Holmes Hold on my SCX10 with a 30T HH TMP HW and it shutters pretty bad. I also put in on my Berg with a pair a 35T Warriors and it did the same thing. The Passive Hold is great....little better drag brake.

Here's a link to a vid....

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...00102_3253.flv

Last edited by constantmotion; 01-02-2010 at 04:24 PM.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #217
RCC Addict

Yeah my Bully does the same. It got better when i turned the drag brake to about 30%
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Seeing that V1.05(Beta) is out. This must to be the update that you talked about a few weeks ago. It has the option for Drag Brake Type...Passive or Holmes Hold.

*******EDIT********
Guess it still needs some work. I just put the Holmes Hold on my SCX10 with a 30T HH TMP HW and it shutters pretty bad. I also put in on my Berg with a pair a 35T Warriors and it did the same thing. The Passive Hold is great....little better drag brake.

Here's a link to a vid....

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/e...00102_3253.flv
What voltage and settings? I got mine to act right on 6s lipo at 90% drag and Hold turned on. Try turning down the drag % until it stops glitching, then report back. This will help me find the line of strength for future revisions. Right now it is obviously too strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Yeah my Bully does the same. It got better when i turned the drag brake to about 30%

What voltage and motors?

The info I need is the drag %, motor wind and type, and voltage used during the issue. We have already gone through a few revisions on this, and I thought this one would be "weak" enough to stop the glitching. The higher the voltage, the worse it gets.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #219

Also, try out the Quiet mode and tell me what you think at really low throttle inputs, VS normal.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #220
Keep it real

I tried the new update today, Titan 21t on 1700 35c 3S, 100% drag... shutters at neutral throttle. Went back to the older version and it's great. I'll try turning down the dragbrake and see
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html
Posted By For Type Date
HH TorqueMaster BR-XL new bad boy esc! This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:37 PM