Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #241
RCC Addict

got my waterproof version in the other day and installed. Everything works like a charm. Updated the software and set my setting and the scaler is ready to rock and roll. This thing takes up less space and is less of a headache than try to use a waterproof box

Now waiting on the throttle curves to become available
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #242
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=JohnRobHolmes;2213122]Could be a bad unit. Were you running the Holmes Hold when it stopped?

Send it on in, I will replace it out. Include the details of what you were running and how to contact you.

John Holmes
716 W. Sexton rd.
Columbia, MO 65203

Thanks John, I'll have it shipped out tomorrow (Sat.) with the details.

Last edited by badger; 06-21-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: address change
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #243
RCC Addict

So does the new Castle Link software have the Holmes Hold options?

I haven't installed it on mine yet.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #244
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Do you have another motor to try?
Tried it today with a new motor and the same thing. I tried to calibrate it a few times like the one guy suggested. It just appears not to take the calibration for reverse.

I will send it out tomorrow to:

John Holmes
716 W. Sexton rd.
Columbia, MO 65203

Thanks
Jeremy

Last edited by badger; 06-21-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: address change
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #245
Quarry Creeper

The esc I have setup for the rear axle isn't arming. It just flashes green. It will turn red when I apply throttle but no motor movement. Now if I wait and leave the battery plugged in it will start to run in reverse on it's own at this point it will except throttle inputs but no neutral. Front esc is running fine. I loaded and reloaded the frimware a few times and I reset my reciever settings a few times. It was working perfectly last weekend I updated it today and nothing. Any suggestions?
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #246
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=JohnRobHolmes;2213122]

A week or so on the ESCs.
QUOTE]

any news on these
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #247
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
So does the new Castle Link software have the Holmes Hold options?

I haven't installed it on mine yet.
That is correct. It looks like it is a bit too strong though, so you will need to turn down your drag % to prevent glitching on many setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCROCIN' View Post
The esc I have setup for the rear axle isn't arming. It just flashes green. It will turn red when I apply throttle but no motor movement. Now if I wait and leave the battery plugged in it will start to run in reverse on it's own at this point it will except throttle inputs but no neutral. Front esc is running fine. I loaded and reloaded the frimware a few times and I reset my reciever settings a few times. It was working perfectly last weekend I updated it today and nothing. Any suggestions?
That is really strange. What happens if you swap ESCs? Does it follow the ESC or the channel that it is using? Did you try unplugging the front ESC (from both RX and battery) and recalibrating the throttle endpoints on the rear ESC?

JRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post

any news on these
I haven't got word of them shipping out yet. I left town for a few days, just got back and your package is here.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #248
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
That is correct. It looks like it is a bit too strong though, so you will need to turn down your drag % to prevent glitching on many setups.
Thanks John. I installed the new beta version today and turned on the holmes hold. Seems pretty good playing with it around the house. Didn't notice any glitching yet with it on 100% drag brake.

It won't hold level like that picture that was posted, but that's probably because I have cheesy cheap integy motors. lol
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #249
Quarry Creeper

Fixed! Thanks for your assistance
RCROCIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #250
I wanna be Dave

This ESC looks like a must have I really like the BEC feature my questions are does it program on the Castle link like a Mamba Max and are they in stock?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #251
I wanna be Dave

John

Would you say it is fair the internal BEC was just a bad one in the esc. Do you feel that I should run a external BEC? I saw a few other people have the same type of problem. Then I see some have none.

Also I am thinking about putting my Vanquish dig with a Hitec 5645mg on as well as my Hitec 7950 for steering

or my servo winch

If I do there will be two servos.

Should this internal BEC hold up?

Last edited by sally1800; 01-12-2010 at 09:50 AM.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
This ESC looks like a must have I really like the BEC feature my questions are does it program on the Castle link like a Mamba Max and are they in stock?
I just got word that more ESCs are on the way. Should have them in a day or two.

It programs similar to the mamba max, but you need the castle link usb adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
John

Would you say it is fair the internal BEC was just a bad one in the esc. Do you feel that I should run a external BEC? I saw a few other people have the same type of problem. Then I see some have none.

Also I am thinking about putting my Vanquish dig with a Hitec 5645mg on as well as my Hitec 7950 for steering

or my servo winch

If I do there will be two servos.

Should this internal BEC hold up?
With both of those high power servos, I would use an external BEC to help out. I haven't been able to take your ESC apart to diagnose the issue yet. I think it really boils down to just how hard a person is beating on the rig. If you are wedging it into some serious cracks and driving it in riprap and similar situations an external BEC may be needed. My next ESC design will address this issues directly in one way or another.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #253
Quarry Creeper

Are these in yet?
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #254
RCC Addict

Today i had a problem with my BR's today. My custom lipo cutoff didnt work. it was set to 9.2v on both esc and it dumped to 7.78v. Now my lipo is dead. Never using the custom cutoff setting again. just setting it to 9.0v. I dont know what went wrong its never done this before the 1.05 update. passive drag brake is on not holmes hold.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #255

Default no calibration possible

Hi there,

I've got the new TM BR-XL yesterday and tried to calibrate it this morning.
The postions 4 + 5 will work fine (user guide 3.1, pg2). Pos. 6 wasn't exactly like in the user guide. It will beep rapidly but the grenn light will flash too. Pos. 7 is uncritical too.
But the ESC will not store the neutral position. Instead of this the red light ist flashing and it beeps.

Tried it with another battery (2s and 3s) and another motor (Cobalt puller 7t). Using a Spektrum DSXR and the SR3100.

What's wrong?
I'm afraid, I need some help.

Thanks
Tom

Last edited by Tomdigger; 01-16-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Tomdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwb Sami View Post
Are these in yet?
Yes, I am looking at a few hundred here. They will be shippable by wednesday, I am just waiting on some plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Today i had a problem with my BR's today. My custom lipo cutoff didnt work. it was set to 9.2v on both esc and it dumped to 7.78v. Now my lipo is dead. Never using the custom cutoff setting again. just setting it to 9.0v. I dont know what went wrong its never done this before the 1.05 update. passive drag brake is on not holmes hold.
Thank you for the heads up! I will test the voltage cutoff as you described and modify firmware if needed. Your battery should be ok, lipo can go down to 2.5v per cell without irreversible damage. Just not good for overall cell life.

I will write this into the 1.05 instructions as a warning too, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdigger View Post
Hi there,

I've got the new TM BR-XL yesterday and tried to calibrate it this morning.
The postions 4 + 5 will work fine (user guide 3.1, pg2). Pos. 6 wasn't exactly like in the user guide. It will beep rapidly but the grenn light will flash too. Pos. 7 is uncritical too.
But the ESC will not store the neutral position. Instead of this the red light ist flashing and it beeps.

Tried it with another battery (2s and 3s) and another motor (Cobalt puller 7t). Using a Spektrum DSXR and the SR3100.

What's wrong?
I'm afraid, I need some help.

Thanks
Tom

You may just need to adjust your neutral throttle setting on the radio. You can also try going into the Castle link and widening your deadband to a larger setting. This should take care of it.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #257

Hi John,

that was the right hint.

Thanks
Tom
Tomdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #258
RCC Addict

I trickled the battery back and used for a comp on Sunday. set on 9.0v and worked great no over discharging. I full charged the pack the first time it over discharged and only drove it for 2 mins and it went to 7.76v recharged it to 12.60v and ran the comp and it went to 12.10v. I thought the twin BR's where drawing to much and causing it to dump the battery past the cutoff. it only does it on custom cutoff and not on the preset cutoff.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #259
Rock Crawler

So these will be shippable by wednesday, but how soon are we going to be able to order?

Much success with the waterproofing?
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #260
Quarry Creeper

I'm waiting on one to, will they be ready soon?
lwb Sami is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html
Posted By For Type Date
HH TorqueMaster BR-XL new bad boy esc! This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:37 PM