Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #61
RCC Addict

damn im glad i ordered 2 when i did and not wait.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
For the second batch it may be as long as six weeks. Once they are done I do not plan to be out of stock any more. I wanted to wait for the first batch to order the second. Six weeks for production, one week to sell out. You do the math
I knew I should have ordered one of these sooner.
keep us informed, You will hear from me in about six weeks.
Subscribed!
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

John

I thought the one with stealth mode would be ready by next week?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #64
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

No, the initial update that will allow Castle link compatibility is coming first, then the additional updates with the next firmware. As far as I know at least.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Stealth mode?

Does that keep my crawler from showing up on Radar?
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #66

More details to follow on that, it will be a big feature for people with sensitive ears
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #67
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
it will be a big feature for people with sensitive ears
Do you have anything for people with sensitive feelings, there seem to be alot of those around here lately.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #68

so for those who are running the stock settings, how is the drag brake? any comparisons against other escs' would be great.

another question is JRH mentioned something about two forms of brake, one was drag and the other was what?
quarterpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #69

Sven posted a vid in either this thread or the other one in the electronics section. The 100% setting is stronger than I like, but some may not find it strong enough. Because of this I am implementing a "hold" brake at neutral, and this will hold a rig in one place .

So you will have drag brake and hold brake. With hold brake it will stay still at neutral, but then you could have no drag so the rig would freecoast when you gave it throttle. If freecoasting wasn't your thing, a 50% drag brake with hold brake would be a good combination. It would allow the rig to coast a bit on inclines when you gave some throttle, but then hold it tight when you stop.

I don't have a firm timeline on the updated firmware with the additional features, but I am working hard on it every day.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sven posted a vid in either this thread or the other one in the electronics section. The 100% setting is stronger than I like, but some may not find it strong enough. Because of this I am implementing a "hold" brake at neutral, and this will hold a rig in one place .

So you will have drag brake and hold brake. With hold brake it will stay still at neutral, but then you could have no drag so the rig would freecoast when you gave it throttle. If freecoasting wasn't your thing, a 50% drag brake with hold brake would be a good combination. It would allow the rig to coast a bit on inclines when you gave some throttle, but then hold it tight when you stop.

I don't have a firm timeline on the updated firmware with the additional features, but I am working hard on it every day.
I'm excited about the hold brake myself, I'm hoping I'll be able to turn my drag break down a little so I can have a bit more of a coast to a stop effect instead of having my rig stop dead so suddenly. On downhill sections I've let off the throttle and had my rig do an endo down the hill, but I don't want to turn down my drag brake now because then my rig wont hold in place after I stop. I'm hoping the hold brake will allow me to have both.

Either that or I just need to learn better throttle control
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #71

i saw the vid but was unsure of it since i am new and learning. i hope by the time i start my build your esc will be castle ready with updates.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Got my esc and OMG these are sick. And they are nice and light. Good job all my esc's are getting changed and recommending this esc to everyone.
Thanks for your hard work
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

this thing rocks!

I have been throwing 4s at it all day, and it never even got warm, the BEC is the icing on the cake
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
More details to follow on that, it will be a big feature for people with sensitive ears
Sorry I was not told that.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #75

i think JRH is talking about that screaching noise that some esc's makes. maybe it won't be their anymore, i hope.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Do you have anything for people with sensitive feelings, there seem to be alot of those around here lately.

I couldn't help but start laughing when I read that.

Seriously though, I can't wait untill mine show up. It has only been a couple of days, and I keep checking the mail box.

JRH, these new ESCs will more than likley replace every other ESC I have.

I sure hope you were able to send me 2 of them.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #77
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looking forward to the hold brake / castle link compatible version. 6 weeks is too long though!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #78

on the drag and hold brake features, how do they work, i am new to electric and have confused myself thinking.

so here is what i am thinking.

for drag brake. it is a constant tension on the drive train giving you a friction so you don't freewheel or coast when de-accelerating? basically applying a brake like feature? and does the drag brake prevent your vehicle from coasting faster than it should going down hill.

for hold brake, the motor is made to lock up when the motor has stopped spinning? basically brakes fully applyed and holding vehicle from rolling (like at a stop sign?)

if this is the case, then how do you stop then? or is the hold brake activated when the transmitter's trigger is in the nutral(sp?) posistion?

could somebody clear this up for me please?

and JRH, will this esc be able to adjust whether or not i want a deleyed reverse or not?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

getting subscribed so I can pick up some of the next batch.... cant wait!
mxracer33x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterpounder View Post
on the drag and hold brake features, how do they work, i am new to electric and have confused myself thinking.

so here is what i am thinking.

for drag brake. it is a constant tension on the drive train giving you a friction so you don't freewheel or coast when de-accelerating? basically applying a brake like feature? and does the drag brake prevent your vehicle from coasting faster than it should going down hill.
it is regenerative braking. There is a maximum value of braking, and it can be adjusted to a % value of max. This interacts with the % of throttle (% of battery voltage) you are giving. Whenever the induced motor voltage is higher than the throttled voltage, the ESC will recharge the battery with the strength of drag brake specified. More drag brake, more resistance to coasting faster than your throttled setting.

Quote:
for hold brake, the motor is made to lock up when the motor has stopped spinning? basically brakes fully applyed and holding vehicle from rolling (like at a stop sign?)
Hold brake is only active when the throttle is at neutral. I won't go over the details of how I specified this to be implemented, but it will burn some energy to hold the motor in one spot. This would be useful for people that want a rig to totally hold on a slope, or for motors that are too weak to stop a rig via drag brake.

Quote:
if this is the case, then how do you stop then? or is the hold brake activated when the transmitter's trigger is in the nutral(sp?) posistion?
If your drag is set high enough you will just slow down as you let off the throttle. If your drag is not high enough you will have to hit the brakes a bit or let hold brake do the work. Once the motor has stopped rotating it can go into reverse.

If you have full hold brake enabled but no drag brake, the neutral position will slam on the brakes if you are coasting fast. I plan to have an adjustable hold brake for people that want hold, but don't want drag. The hold will basically make "braking" a neutral position feature.

I personally like high drag and very low hold brake, but there are many preferences that differ from mine.

Quote:
and JRH, will this esc be able to adjust whether or not i want a deleyed reverse or not?

there is a setting for instant reverse, and for double tap reverse. I don't have plans for a delayed reverse yet. I am not sure how a delay would react with the hold and drag.

Great questions.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html
Posted By For Type Date
HH TorqueMaster BR-XL new bad boy esc! This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:37 PM