Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35!

Check out www.Holmeshobbies.com for availability of these beasts. Replacement brushes available now too.

I just got the final parts to the Cobalt Puller motors, and boy are these motors awesome! This is a departure from my normal style, these are good old BRUSHED motors fit to have the Holmes Hobbies name on them. They are for 2.2's, clods, and the 10T can be used in a super. The can is a bit longer than your standard motor, at around 2.5" long, so using them can provide a challenge with some link setups and clodbusters. It will bolt up inside a stock AX-10, a K2-3S(L) chassis, a stock Wheely King, and many more. It does not fit into a SW2 or SW3, GC-1, or similar narrow competition style chassis without careful tranny positioning or chassis modification. The diameter is 1.35", like a normal 540 motor. It mounts up to the standard 25mm bolt pattern, and uses 1/8" pinions like any standard motor. The best part is the LARGE 7 slot armature and large commutator. It allows a much higher commutation rate- giving better slow speed control and greater torque.

There are three winds available right now, very limited quantity. 10 turn, 7 turn, and 5 turn. Any of the winds can be crawled, as the 7 slot armature and large diameter commutator gives better control than the average motor. Some details from my website about the 10T motor:

Uses standard 1/8" pinions, and 25mm motor mount spacing- bolts up like a normal motor.

Strong Cobalt Samarium magnets
7 slot armature, 10 turn
6.5 ounces,
2.5" long, 1.35" diamter
5-12 volts
160*F max

Mamba Max highly recommended.

I have been crawling and testing these motors for a while now. At the last comp I ran the 10 turn with a 3 cell lipo in my 2.2. Slow speed control was second to none, and top wheelspeed was around 6-8 mph with a 84:1 geardown with mashers. That is tlt axles with an R2 tranny with 8 tooth pinion. Power was no problem of course, I could have gotten by with 6 cells nimh.

Pricing is $79.99. With increasing costs of high strength magnets and fewer manufacturers for brushed motors, this might be the cheapest that they come.

10t = 1700 rpm/volt (faster than a 35t handwound 540)
7t = 2300 rpm/volt
5t = 2800 rpm/volt

Any questions?
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 03-24-2008 at 04:51 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Run Time?
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Could you post a picture of the puller next to a typical lathe motor? It doesn't look like it will fit in my chassis.:-(
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Could you post a picture of the puller next to a typical lathe motor? It doesn't look like it will fit in my chassis.:-(
Yeah, it looks like it would cause some fitament issues with anyone running a chassis where the motor extends outside the chassis plate.

I want one of these so bad, but I don't think it will fit in my chassis. I may have to design another chassis just to run this thing

Could I get an exact length measurement from the mount face to the extreme tail end?
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #5

2.5" long, just like I said in the first post. To be exact, 63.5mm give or take a hair. Here is a comparison shot.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

How is the startup on these motors? Are they jumpy to start like some of the other Cobalt motors I have run, or does the 7 slot arm help smooth them out?
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #7

There is no jump to the start, it goes from zero to one RPM as you see fit. If it were unloaded it might have a bit if a jump- there is a good deal of brush contact and spring pressure to overcome. What cobalt motor are you referring to?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Sweet! I am talking about that Global 380 that I have been messing with. It's like the magnets are so strong it has a hard time deciding when to stop holding and start turning.

That leads me to another question: Can this motor hold a rig at a dead stop on a hill w/o any drag braking/ throttle input?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #9

yeah, those global 380s do start up fast- it is because they are so small and it takes a lot of throttle for them to get a vehicle moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
Sweet! I am talking about that Global 380 that I have been messing with. It's like the magnets are so strong it has a hard time deciding when to stop holding and start turning.

That leads me to another question: Can this motor hold a rig at a dead stop on a hill w/o any drag braking/ throttle input?
Depending on geardown, yes the motor can hold a rig with no throttle or drag brake. The armature slots are not skewed, so the motor has a good deal of cogging to it which gives it a natural drag. I haven't gotten a good chance to test it with zero drag and fast gearing yet, so I don't know the threshold for the inherent drag.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Good deal, might have to try one out.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
2.5" long, just like I said in the first post. To be exact, 63.5mm give or take a hair. Here is a comparison shot.
:-P yeah, I know what'cha said in the first post..."around 2.5 inches"...I'm an anal SOB and at the same time have a very tight area to fit the motor, so I just wanted to make sure of what the exact length of around was
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

JRH this is a cool lookin motor and gonna have to try one out, as soon as I get some cash this week...............
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
RCC Addict

hey john can i post that vid of your truck at the comp to show how smooth it is?
brushlessnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

WooHoo!!! Just ordered mine!!!
Im gonna take out my crawlmaster from my ax-10 temporarily and put this in its place. It will be hooked up to my mamba max. I'll post up some video of my mamba/crawlmaster and my mamba/cobalt puller to show the difference.

Thanks JRH
Tyler S
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

I ran a 5 turn in my super at the nats. VERY strong motor. Pushed my 12 pound super around but it did get a bit warm. The 10 turn would have been better. Just seeing what these will do,I agree with John,they are GREAT little motors for a 2.2 build. I'm gonna try to put my 5 turn in my 2.2 Hustler this winter before we start the new season. Got a new tranny idea I'm working on and I think this will work out great.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

so do these have some good wheelspeed to them, or just gobs of torque and slow speeds?
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

They got gobbs of everything.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by octigonwallrus View Post
so do these have some good wheelspeed to them, or just gobs of torque and slow speeds?

Go back to the first post and read please. Agh,I'll just quote it for ya.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
There are three winds available right now, very limited quantity. 10 turn, 7 turn, and 5 turn. I have not been able to determine the KV yet, but the 10 turn acts like a stock motor and the 5 turn acts about like a 15 turn motor. Any of the winds can be crawled well however, as the 7 slot armature and large diameter commutator gives better control than the average motor. Some details from my website about the 10T motor:

I'm running a 5 turn Cobalt in my super on 8 cells at 120:1.......and it's STILL fast I run my 3025-8 at 60:1 and 10 cells and it's barely fast enough for my taste

Make a bit more sence now? They might be fast but they've got enough sack to crawl as well.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #19

I haven't had enough time to take any vid yet, but they have gobs of torque and wheelspeed too. I have been bogged down with orders and backorders the past few days, averaging about 10 orders a day.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Jonh , can u please awnser my PM's?
You know the revoler&mamba set up?
i just saw that you have only one revolver in stock right now,
Can u set aside that one plus a esc?
Thanks John,
Glad to do business with the electric goeroe
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post