RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Holmes Hobbies (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/)
-   -   Holmes Team, Pro, and Custom motor Tech (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/402585-holmes-team-pro-custom-motor-tech.html)

JohnRobHolmes 06-25-2013 05:15 PM

Re: Holmes Pro Custom and Team Pro Crawler 540 motors

1 Attachment(s)
I'm putting Custom motors on hold until August. We are moving equipment and I need some spare time to finish up a few engineering projects too. Team motors will still be built as needed.

Here is a Custom 540 Puller armature we built a while back. While the full pitch skew doesn't allow for a perfect pattern or max wire fill (or I'm not good enough to wind it!), the other design aspects make up for it. It finished up at 60% of the terminal resistance of a regular 35t. This motor was built to replace a 35t motor, and with our current design it is between a 21t and 25t depending on commutator size and magnet layout. This particular motor was a 25t because of the small comm. We used NEH33 magnets because of the 200c operating tempurature, the comm will catch fire before the magnets are damaged! Lower turns for the same speed is always best as there is less resistance to the coils, but we left a lot on the table in this regard in trade for a thermally stable motor that started up very smoothly.

We will be rotating this last Custom into a regular product if possible. Right now we are just waiting for a confirmation on armature tooling, there are very specific design needs and the automated armature stacker has limitations that may prevent this from becoming an affordable option.

DRTMI 06-25-2013 09:24 PM

Is that hold for motors or arms as well? I just ordered a pro custom arm today and would rather not wait that long.

JohnRobHolmes 06-25-2013 09:54 PM

Just motors right now. We may take down the custom armatures too. All orders placed will be processed as normal though, so if you bought one it is business as usual.

JohnRobHolmes 07-19-2013 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a sample of some armatures I made. This row is all 30t for various Team or Custom motors. We also had 32, 35, 13, and 16t armatures in various straight and skewed options being made this week.

Shown is a row of 30t 540 arms for Team Flow and Team Torque motors.

5mm web
10mm comm
silver brazed termination
20ga Nema 35-C wire, highest fill for 30t
straight stack (Team Torque)
1/2 skew stack (Team Flow)
200c resin VOI coils
epoxy balanced

As opposed to fully skewed arms, keeping 1/2 skew arms in pattern is pretty easy. Even easier is going back to a straight arm after winding slants for weeks! You can clearly see the difference in airspace between the coils on the front four and the back four stacks. Skewing reduces slot cross sectional area so there is less space for wire.

JohnRobHolmes 09-02-2013 09:05 PM

Re: Holmes Team, Pro, and Custom motor Tech

2 Attachment(s)
Old work, but still good to share. Our lightweight timing rings might be made nearly obsolete by Puller motors, but that doesn't stop me from refining them further. I used FEA combined with measured failure pressures on regular timing rings to hack down our light weight ring further than before, and also cut down the price to make them. Real world testing shows they are still beefier than needed.

3/4 gram light enough for you weenies? I can knock it down to .5g if an asymmetrical (forward and reverse specific installation) design is used, but if it is installed wrong it bends. Either design we can retail at $12. That's the price you pay for USA materials and me standing in front of the CNC machine :mrgreen: If you want some, let me know here and I will put them on the site.

JohnRobHolmes 10-30-2013 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a metric sh-ton of customs and Team motors to post up, and no time to do it! In the mean time, here is a pile of arms in production for a week of Puller orders. They have proven to be quite popular all around the globe. From customs to production, it has been fun taking a high performance design and making it affordable without compromise "thumbsup"

scorpion_ax 11-04-2013 09:17 PM

Really hoping the arms for my pullers are in there. Pullers been bought and paid for since the 19th of Oct. looking for a "shipped" email ;-)......daily

JohnRobHolmes 11-05-2013 05:24 AM

We finished up another two dozen yesterday, and are finishing another two dozen today. I guarantee yours is in it!

AddictedtoRC1 11-05-2013 08:09 AM

Wow John! Busting your rear on them. I'm patiently waiting for my Pullers to ship as well. Thanks for all you do for the hobby.:thumbup:

saniel68 11-05-2013 08:40 AM

I just ordered a pair also. "thumbsup" Looks like you are keeping busy! :shock: Nice.

SkaldidDog 11-05-2013 08:58 AM

Wow John. You are kicking it"thumbsup". Good things for all to play with.

Cheers,

J

JohnRobHolmes 11-05-2013 04:39 PM

We have gotten in a pretty good groove now. One fella has taken to winding very well, he is currently doing 5 slots. I do three slot winding, large rotor winding, and all terminating. Another gentleman (carpenter) is doing can finishing, magnet installation, and general shop stuff. Leaves time for tooling and prototyping! Almost back to a point where we can get back to media stuff.

JohnRobHolmes 04-15-2014 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been working on a contract engineering project for a UAV firm for the past many months. While we can't show anything new about it yet, I'm glad to be past the project and have a fresh perspective on design. Now that I have quite a lot of time freed back up, I can apply the knowledge right back to our competition and play motors.

After making a 2 ounce motor that would break our crawlers, I'm feeling pretty froggy to boost our efficiency and torque density numbers over last years efforts. Making the smoothest and lightest motors is easy for me. Now it is time to put the technical cap on and apply further electromagnetic engineering to an already dominant design. "thumbsup"

JohnRobHolmes 04-15-2014 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright, maybe one sneak peak of an unidentified motor. The needs were soft and quick startup, along with fast reverses.

xabs1582 04-16-2014 10:13 AM

Looks sweet John. Will this be in the line of the lightweight motors?

JohnRobHolmes 06-16-2014 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't sell designs we have engineered for other companies.

I can make my own designs though. Did some CAD work on the Puller 400/500 housings and removed a half ounce in "digital" form. These will either become the 2015 design or the team type. The housing is more expensive than the existing design, so we may have two types moving forward. Either way, it also gives us the ability to seal the motor fully without a weight penalty. Get rid of the face machining, and add in a special endbell design.

JohnRobHolmes 01-14-2016 08:21 AM

I've been using my shop thread for most general updates, but this seemed like a good vid for here.

Short vid of handwinding motors, a TorqueMaster Pro 35t in the first part of armature production.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U2ECOwgDZkM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rmain2001 01-15-2016 08:10 PM

I'm new on the forum and can't start a new forum so would somebody please start a new topic on the Holmes hobbies black hv500 servo I had I few questions I was wanting to ask about it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dasco 10-20-2016 07:48 PM

I would like a set of motors 13t for my XR10 with good leaping wheel speed and low cheap for the technical areas...please help

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

LSXGMC 10-20-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmain2001 (Post 5423943)
I'm new on the forum and can't start a new forum so would somebody please start a new topic on the Holmes hobbies black hv500 servo I had I few questions I was wanting to ask about it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got two of them and absolutely love them. Very quiet, great speed and gobs of torque!