Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Holmes TrailMaster Rock Crawler motors- Scale and Trail Tuned!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Holmes TrailMaster 540 motors- Scale and Trail Tuned!

I've been considering a 27T just to try it. Will give some extra speed with the same gearing. 35T is what the scx10 and ascender come with, a TRX has a 550-can motor in 21 which has a similar speed to a 540 in 27. And they have a 2-speed trans.

I've changed to a 15 and a 16 pinion in a couple of my rigs, everything I have is 35T. In stock gearing, a hackmoto gets warm, none of the others do, so I don't know if it's just the motor, or something else. Not hot, just warm to the touch. And that's really kind of a test in whatever you choose, turns and gearing, if they overheat you have to gear down so it doesn't work so hard.

With a stock esc you may also find your slow speed crawl suffers with a faster motor unless you gear down to near what you already had. With a programmable esc you can tailor your start-up punch and acceleration, so more adaptability to various motor speeds and gearing.

Based on what you currently have, what characteristics would you like to improve on? Slow speed technical? Faster walking speed? Are you powering with 2S or 3S? You can up your speed considerably going from 2s to 3s. And you can bump up a tooth or two on your pinion. It is harder to gear down with a faster motor if your pinion is already small, unless you can change your gearing elsewhere - diffs, trans, etc. IIRC a scx10 has a couple of smaller options down from the stock pinion, a 12 think.

Last edited by Browneye; 04-23-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typos...
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #42
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Holmes TrailMaster 540 motors- Scale and Trail Tuned!

Yep, good all around choice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes TrailMaster Rock Crawler motors- Scale and Trail Tuned!

I've been meaning to pick up either a 27t or 35t for the 540 can and a 21T 550 at my LHS. Maybe this week.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #44

I have the 12 turn and just ordered the 21 turn for my Gen 8 in the 550 size. Very good motors!
atholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Vaterra Ascender testing, motor speed and gearing...
I ended up trying 27T with 10t pinion on one, and a 45T with stock gearing on another.
Both perform similarly, you really can't tell the difference with a HW1080. The 27T is still a bit faster, surprisingly. The 45T really slows it down.
Frankly I like the way the 45T performs very technical crawling - very precise, super slow capability. Drag brake very good on both.

27T - HH Torquemaster Expert - about $50
45T - YR Hackmoto - about $20
Both are rebuildable motors. I really prefer the heavier end bell with the large lead tabs - SO much easier to solder leads than the lightweight end cap on sealed-can motors.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:40 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

John, I'm running the 27T in my Element and plan on purchasing a rebuildable motor. Stock kit with an 18 tooth pinion. I do a little crawling but mostly it is technical trails with 1/2 medium hi-speed, 1/2 some technical. Sugestions please. I'm just coming off fast large scale Nitro Boats so this elec thing is rather new to me.
Callelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #47

I bought a TrailMaster Sport 550 45T motor that I plan to run in a comm lathe. One thing I noticed is that the armature shaft has no axial play at all inside the motor can. Initially I thought that the armature was squeezed tight between the front bearing and rear bushing when the motor is assembled. But after inspecting up close through the can vent opening I was able to see that there is actually a small visible gap between the comm and rear bushing. So I can only assume that the front bearing has an interference fit with the output shaft, which is unusual, and that caused it to "lock" in place axially. Anyway it runs normally, but I thought this was interesting.
Attached Images

Last edited by usert_l; 07-31-2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Initially thought that the armature has axial binding between front bearing and rear bushing.
usert_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Are you sure its an original HH motor??
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 AM   #49

It was purchased on eBay. From vrchobbies in Phoenix, Arizona.
usert_l is offline   Reply With Quote

Holmes TrailMaster Rock Crawler motors- Scale and Trail Tuned! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming Soon! NEW Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster BL Pro Motors. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-20-2018 12:25 PM
Lower Price - Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Pro BL 540 Motors! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-22-2018 10:47 AM
Holmes TrailMaster BL 540 how do you like it m1009cucv Electronics 74 07-18-2016 11:47 AM
a ? about the TCS Crawlers Aluminum L-Trail Scale Chassis for Losi Mini Rock Crawler wkxtreme General Crawlers 1 04-25-2010 08:41 PM