Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR Mini Packs the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #381
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TorqueMaster BR Mini Packs the Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The easiest method to reduce temps is to feed them a bit more than 6v through the RX wire so it takes the load off the internal BEC. If you run up to 6.5v on your servos this works very well.
I normally run a higher servo voltage as they are the 2S-compatible. I think the external BEC is set for 7.4V. Is that too high to feed back into the Mini?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #382
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It would be too high unless ran through a diode.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #383
RCC Addict

I have a set of stacked TorqueMaster BR mini. I updated the castle link.The first mini reprogramed no problem. The second won't connect. The truck was running fine before.

Thanks Matt

Weird- I unplugged the castle link. Then plugged in the battery- both ESC work. when back to the computer and now both are working again. Weird

Last edited by SDheavymetal; 02-17-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: It started working after i tested the ESC with a battery
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #384
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
I have a set of stacked TorqueMaster BR mini. I updated the castle link.The first mini reprogramed no problem. The second won't connect. The truck was running fine before.

Thanks Matt

Weird- I unplugged the castle link. Then plugged in the battery- both ESC work. when back to the computer and now both are working again. Weird
Futz with the neutral set point of the problematic one.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #385
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Futz with the neutral set point of the problematic one.

J
Thanks Joel- I will try that next time.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #386
Rock Crawler

Hi John,

I am doing a zener diode mod for a friend who already removed the internal BEC from the Br-mini (so there is no way back now....). I got hold of some 1w 1N4735 (6.2V) zener diode, will the 1w works better then the 0.5W so it can take a higher current drawn?

Also I got some 1N4734, which is 5.6V would that be even better? as it is sort of just in the middle of the ESC brain operating voltage (5-6.4V, from what I gathered in this post).

I use one of these adapter and solder (on the red line) the ZD with the black bar towards the single male plug. This will plug into Channel 1 (steering) of the Rx and the other 2 female plugs connected to BEC (@7.4V) and Servo.

This should provide easy diagnostic because everything is modular and easily replaced in the field. Am I on the right track?

I tried 3 ZD (6.2V) and they all give a ~6.56V at the Rx end (with the rx being powered by the zd), its that too high for the ESC brain?

I also tried using the 5.6V ZD but the voltage at the RX plug is still ~6.56-6.58V, am I doing it right? The rx power normal and bind ok.

Thanks.

David.

Last edited by Colgout; 02-25-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #387
Rock Crawler

I thought we were just using the .6V silicone diode voltage drop in forward bias to lower the 2S battery voltage a tad before feeding it to the esc. If so, it doesn't even need to be a Zener, just a silicone diode.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #388
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I thought we were just using the .6V silicone diode voltage drop in forward bias to lower the 2S battery voltage a tad before feeding it to the esc. If so, it doesn't even need to be a Zener, just a silicone diode.
I am not sure, in post #25, and the wiring diagram, John mentioned Zener Diode. I understand electricity but not so much about electronics. So I just follow the instruction. I think 2 normal diodes (or even 3) in series which drop 1.4V will work as 7.4-1.4=6v.

The above adapter (with 1 zener diode) works, just want to make sure its long terms reliability.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #389
Try to Bend it

John,

Is there a way to reduce the preset LVC on the BR mini. I always find my self running out of charge before the end of a course. usually around the 4 minute mark.
Ideally I would like to reduce the LVC to 3.5V. I have tried via the castle link but it always reverts back to the preset 4.0V level.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #390
Rock Stacker

The BR Mini paired with the new SHV500 servo the temp's are great. eliminating the BEC and have the ESC work alone is a must have. Thank's john.

how about you create some Holmes Carbon wheels 2.2 for us with 3 piece and 2 piece.
skyraiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #391
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraiD View Post
The BR Mini paired with the new SHV500 servo the temp's are great. eliminating the BEC and have the ESC work alone is a must have. Thank's john.

how about you create some Holmes Carbon wheels 2.2 for us with 3 piece and 2 piece.
I'm sure this is a great combo. My CC BEC has nothing to do with my esc's. My CC BEC powers my servo only...
My BR-minis power the receiver. Because I have V1 br- minis my ESC'S run WARM however haven't let me down.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #392
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlucks View Post
John,

Is there a way to reduce the preset LVC on the BR mini. I always find my self running out of charge before the end of a course. usually around the 4 minute mark.
Ideally I would like to reduce the LVC to 3.5V. I have tried via the castle link but it always reverts back to the preset 4.0V level.
LVC at 4V? Seriously?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #393
I wanna be Dave

John, what heat shrink do you use on the smashed duals? Im looking for the same stuff.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #394

I import it in 50 meter rolls. Email us and request it added to the site, I have a huge variety.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #395
Pebble Pounder

any idea on when the smashed dual br mini will be back in stock looking to make an order with some other parts just wanna keep shipping cost down thanks
Foxracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #396
Pebble Pounder

have a question...if i buy a dual br mini set up already smashed and have a shv500 servo do i need anything else or just go with it I'm wondering because the servo has an internal bec
Foxracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:14 AM   #397
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxracer11 View Post
have a question...if i buy a dual br mini set up already smashed and have a shv500 servo do i need anything else or just go with it I'm wondering because the servo has an internal bec
Yes, you need a bec...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #398

The shv runs direct off 3s lipo, so you will just need a female JST on the battery plug.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #399
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Looking to run the Mini on a lightweight crawling only build of around 4ish pounds.

I'd like to be set up like this: 3S, Enduro trans with overdrive (possibly a Salinas or TGH later on), 27T Torquemaster Expert, Castle BEC running 8.4v to servo and RX. No lights, winches or other gizmos. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks!

Last edited by JC3; 07-15-2020 at 03:44 PM.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:51 PM   #400
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Looking to run the Mini on a lightweight crawling only build of around 4ish pounds.

I'd like to be set up like this: 3S, Enduro trans with overdrive (possibly a Salinas or TGH later on), 27T Torquemaster Expert, Castle BEC running 7.4v to servo and RX. No lights, winches or other gizmos. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks!
That setup sounds very reasonable, 4 lbs shouldnt make it break a sweat. You're under the weight limit and there is no single 540 motor limit.

Looks like you edited your post but I'll just add that the bare BR mini only needs the battery and motor leads soldered on, no need to solder a 3 pin header on. Or if you havent seen it yet you can get an assemble BR Mini (the RTR)
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad ass

TorqueMaster BR Mini Packs the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power! JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 1351 05-13-2020 03:52 PM
Mini torquemaster ???? Mrblue Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 80 05-01-2010 08:59 PM