RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Holmes Hobbies (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/)
-   -   Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/535501-puller-pro-brushless-4-pole-rock-crawler-motors-lay-down-power.html)

FordFixer 05-06-2016 08:21 PM

Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

could u help explain what dead band is? Ive always seen it but dont get it.

mikebecher 05-06-2016 08:35 PM

It's the amount you have to pull the Tx trigger before the ESC sends power to the motor. It's a personal preference really and has no bearing on the performance of the rig.

FordFixer 05-07-2016 03:55 AM

Got it. Just never understood it. Thanks

reidinitaly 05-11-2016 08:34 AM

I just ordered up a BLE PRO and 3500KV PP - My Wraith is setup with VP Curries and HD over/under drive gears - Transmission is all steel with MIP drive shafts- 11/57 gearing - will the O/U gears present any significant issues (wear and tear besides tires)?

Driving is mostly crawling in rock piles with natural terrain (dirt/trees).

Thanks in advance!!!

svt923 05-11-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reidinitaly (Post 5501594)
I just ordered up a BLE PRO and 3500KV PP - My Wraith is setup with VP Curries and HD over/under drive gears - Transmission is all steel with MIP drive shafts- 11/57 gearing - will the O/U gears present any significant issues (wear and tear besides tires)?

You may break the screws holding the transmission outputs to the bottom trans gear. The Holmes 1 piece output solves the problem if those screws become an issue.

JohnRobHolmes 05-11-2016 10:11 AM

Agreed. No problems on the electrics side. The outputs bolt through the lower transmission gear, and those little screws take all the pressure from different axle ratios. It will work loose over time or just break. A single piece gear / output from Hot Racing or Robinson, or one of my spool style lockers will avoid the issue.

JohnRobHolmes 05-11-2016 10:44 AM

Posted in another thread, thought it should be repeated here.

Regarding max motor voltage and RPM ratings, we give max RPM rating (which is conservative) and recommended voltage that is lower than the max rpm rating. A savvy person may notice that all of our Kv choices will fall very near 50k rpm at "nominal" lithium voltage. 4500Kv on 3s, 3500kv 4s, 2700kv on 5s, 2200Kv on 6s. In reality they may spin too fast if not loaded enough, thus our safer recommendation of one cell less than max. Between the range of voltage choices and gearing choices it covers the needs of crawlers very well so far.

I am also working on a shorter motor for U4 racing. It will have the less refined startup of the XL, combined with the 540 external size and brute strength of a 550 motor crammed inside. Kv choices to be determined. Evidently 3500Kv on 3s is too slow and 4500kv on 3s is too much, so maybe we find a happy balance :D

reidinitaly 05-11-2016 12:59 PM

Thank you for the info, I will look into the single piece transmission output now!

reidinitaly 05-11-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 5501642)
Agreed. No problems on the electrics side. The outputs bolt through the lower transmission gear, and those little screws take all the pressure from different axle ratios. It will work loose over time or just break. A single piece gear / output from Hot Racing or Robinson, or one of my spool style lockers will avoid the issue.

I'm already running Incision spools - how do yours compare to those?

svt923 05-11-2016 01:29 PM

This is the spool style locker JRH was referring to, not the ones in the axles.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...7-jeax0301.jpg

reidinitaly 05-12-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5501751)
This is the spool style locker JRH was referring to, not the ones in the axles.

Outstanding! Thank you for the clarification!

Drm31078 05-17-2016 10:17 AM

Bought the HH PP 3500kv motor and Mamba Monster X. What do I need to do to out of the box to hook this up cleanly and properly? Do the bullets and sensor wire that come with the HH PP work with the MMX? If not, what do I need to do?

SCREAMER 05-18-2016 09:39 PM

You'll need to remove the plugs that are on the motor leads and solder the 6.5mm plugs onto them. If you're super careful you can unsolder the entire lead and solder the included leads in the MMX box. You'll also need to buy the $8 X series sensor wire adapter harness from Castle. Holmes does offer an all in one sensor wire that is compatible with sensored motors and the new MMX without having to use a seperate adapter harness.

nyford 05-24-2016 10:24 AM

So one thing I haven't heard about was the guys running 2 speeds?

I have a bomber with a 2 speed so I like the all out U4 driving but also crawling sometimes. I had a Hobbywing Xerun 3656 4 Pole 3400 kV on 3s with a MMP but not sure what happened to it. Never got hot enough that you could hold on to it.

So I am looking into getting a HH puller pro but unsure on standard or xl.

Everything I have read Mr. Holmes points towards the standard.

Any recommendation for a Bomber that loves going fast and a little crawling.

Thanks

new2rocks 05-24-2016 01:00 PM

I have the standard Puller Pro 3500 with 2-speed in my Bomber and the XL 3500 with 2-speed in Roo's Yeti. The standard in the Bomber has plenty of top end and still crawls very well (esp in low gear). The XL trades off low speed crawling for more pure power. I think that fits a Yeti's personality and capabilities more so than a Bomber's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nostopin 06-22-2016 12:56 PM

Hi JohnRobHolmes,
I have a axail custom rig 14.5" wheel base crawler/trailer with 2.2 Super Swamper XL's. At the momment rig weighs in at 7.29oz but once I have made up my hub weights (2.5oz each front, 1.5 oz each rear) it'll be closer to 15oz's. I mostly do a lot of slow rock climbing with a fair bit of loose gravel or wet smooth rock speed climbs with it. I have a MMP installed and was thinking of pairing it up with your Puller Pro BL 540 Standard 2700kv or even possibly your Puller Pro BL 540 Standard 3500kv on 3s, Whats your thoughts on these selections or do you recommend another option?
Thanks

bilinvic 06-22-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nostopin (Post 5523167)
Hi JohnRobHolmes,
I have a axail custom rig 14.5" wheel base crawler/trailer with 2.2 Super Swamper XL's. At the momment rig weighs in at 7.29oz but once I have made up my hub weights (2.5oz each front, 1.5 oz each rear) it'll be closer to 15oz's. I mostly do a lot of slow rock climbing with a fair bit of loose gravel or wet smooth rock speed climbs with it. I have a MMP installed and was thinking of pairing it up with your Puller Pro BL 540 Standard 2700kv or even possibly your Puller Pro BL 540 Standard 3500kv on 3s, Whats your thoughts on these selections or do you recommend another option?
Thanks

Luc...FYI, I have a HH PP 3500 kV arriving this week for my B1B Bomber and you will be able to see first hand how it performs.

nostopin 06-22-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilinvic (Post 5523184)
Luc...FYI, I have a HH PP 3500 kV arriving this week for my B1B Bomber and you will be able to see first hand how it performs.

Sound good cuz I'm leaning more towards the 3500kv myself.

JohnRobHolmes 06-22-2016 06:34 PM

Both are good choices. I would personally choose the 3500, it's my fave on 3s.

cwhfsr 06-23-2016 08:06 AM

From what I've seen (I have the 3500 running on 3s) you have plenty of low speed and tones of torque but then will get up and move when you want it. I've been very happy with mine. Running on a wraith spawn.