Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #221

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

lol, couldn't wait to see yours in action Bil. Thanks for your inputs cwhfsr and JohnRobHolmes and from what I've read so far and just being plain curious. Figured the best way to see how the HH product performs is to install one into my own rig, so I just ordered my own HH PP Standard 3500kv.
nostopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #222
RCC Addict

So it seems if you can run a standard size motor, thats the way to go? Got a 1.9 scx10 based U4 I'm building and have a ROC3100 slated for it. Would the stubby 3300 or standard 540 3500kv be better? Matching with a MMP w/ BEC and 3s. Based on what I've read, the 540 would run cooler due to size?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #223
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It never hurts to have a little extra motor. If you will be rock racing, the 3500kv 540 will run cooler and won't leave you wanting more.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #224
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It never hurts to have a little extra motor. If you will be rock racing, the 3500kv 540 will run cooler and won't leave you wanting more.
Thats what I figured, thanks for the reply!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #225
Quarry Creeper

Hi John,

today I tested my new Puller PRO 540 2700kv with Trail Master BLE PRO ESC
I ran it on my wraith (approx 4kg)
geared 15/88
3S (2200mAh, 40C)
ESC settings: Smart sense on, PWM the second lowest value (do not remember the value)

First of all it was a such a blast moving from my former set up (Torquemaster PRO 35t, geared 17/88 ) to the new Brushless setup, motor was performing very well both crawling and wheel speed

However I was also keeping temp under control, the motor was always within safe range (finger test - less than 160) but the ESC was getting pretty hot after some rock trailing and crawling... hotter than I ever experienced with same ESC with the Revolvers Stubby 2000kv (but on a lighter SCX10), and hotter than the BRXL I ran with the Torque master...

what do you suggest I do?

reduce gering?
reduce PWM? (this night I just it set it to 8 - lowest possible value), and will test it again ...but I wonder whether is there anything else missing...
I do not think my wraith is far too heavy for this motor... or?

PS: just found out this 3D, If I had it found earlier I may have bought a higher kv motor as for the many advices you provided so far .... anyway I think 2700 should work fine for me...

Last edited by slimfire; 07-10-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added info
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #226

I've been liking the 2700kv, it's a good all around choice too.

Reducing the pwm to 8k will reduce your temp. The esc will still run warmer than before because of the higher kv and top speed.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #227
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've been liking the 2700kv, it's a good all around choice too.

Reducing the pwm to 8k will reduce your temp. The esc will still run warmer than before because of the higher kv and top speed.
Thanks John,
what is a safe temp edge the ESC should never exceed ??
Old 07-11-2016, 02:25 AM   #228
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
Thanks John,
what is a safe temp edge the ESC should never exceed ??
..just found it in former posts... is 160 max, all right?

does punch control effect ESC temp in anyway?
want to keep my ESC temp as low as possible...
Old 07-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #229
RCC Addict

Anyone have a video of a Puller Pro 540 2700 in action? And when will 540 3500kv motors be back in stock?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #230
RCC Addict

Bueller about 3500kv standards?

Also if I chose a 540 standard 4500kv on 3s (11.1 x 4500 = 49950 rpm) and ran it to a 2.18:1 reduction t-case (4500/2.18=~2065kv motor)....would that effectively make it like running a 2000kv motor without the reduction t-case?? Maybe my math/logic is wrong? But seems to make sense.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #231

I was wondering what would happen if I ran a 4s in my yeti with the 3500kv puller pro xl I have a fan on it so I don't think cooling will be an issue is there anything else to be concerned with when running 4s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmain2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #232
RCC Addict

Some comparison vids I made comparing my 55t to a stubby 3300kv and a 35t to a standard 4500kv (this rig as a 2.18:1 reduction t-case so its not as fast as you'd think, more like a 2000kv instead haha).

Very happy with the new motors and servos.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #233
Pebble Pounder

Which of these motors would compare to the castle 2650kv brushless motor?

This would go in a slash 4x4 with a MMX esc running 2s and 3s.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Which of these motors would compare to the castle 2650kv brushless motor?

This would go in a slash 4x4 with a MMX esc running 2s and 3s.

The XL would be closest at 10 ounces weight, the 2560 is an 8th scale motor that weighs 13 ounces.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #235
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The XL would be closest at 10 ounces weight, the 2560 is an 8th scale motor that weighs 13 ounces.
How about in regards to speed/torque? Was thinking to gear 50spur/20pinion

I like th e fact that this PP is sensor ed and waterproof

Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #236
Pebble Pounder

Got acouple questions about my wraith I just got together. It has curries mattzilla chasis ss trans basically everything is steel or alum and should weight around 9-10 lbs. I am planning to run on 3s and am wondering if the 3500kv standard 540 motor would be a good choice. I will be doing some crawling (nothing too technical) just for fun and some trails. So I want decent startup control and decent speed. I was planning to run a mmp but am wondering if I will need the mmx with this heavy of a truck. This is my first crawler/scaler type truck. I don't want to worry about temp of the esc being an issue

Last edited by slapjack; 08-16-2016 at 07:01 PM.
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #237
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
Got acouple questions about my wraith I just got together. It has curries mattzilla chasis ss trans basically everything is steel or alum and should weight around 9-10 lbs. I am planning to run on 3s and am wondering if the 3500kv standard 540 motor would be a good choice. I will be doing some crawling (nothing too technical) just for fun and some trails. So I want decent startup control and decent speed. I was planning to run a mmp but am wondering if I will need the mmx with this heavy of a truck. This is my first crawler/scaler type truck. I don't want to worry about temp of the esc being an issue
This is almost exactly the same as my rig and I run the HH PP 3500kv standard and a HH BLE Pro. I used to run a MMP but got sick of the fan. If I were doing it now I'd get a Puller Pro 2700kv (to run 4s if I like) and probably a MMX ESC, just for some of the added features it offers. That being said, I'm very happy with the setup I have and it has plenty of speed and power with nice smooth startup.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 PM   #238
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
This is almost exactly the same as my rig and I run the HH PP 3500kv standard and a HH BLE Pro. I used to run a MMP but got sick of the fan. If I were doing it now I'd get a Puller Pro 2700kv (to run 4s if I like) and probably a MMX ESC, just for some of the added features it offers. That being said, I'm very happy with the setup I have and it has plenty of speed and power with nice smooth startup.
Thanks for the reply. What is the problem with the fan? I was going to get the ble but someone said to get the mmp cause it had a fan and if I was Gna do any hill climbing that I would want the fan. But I'm not Gna be wide open throttle bombing hills all the time so maybe I can get away with the ble?
And what added features Des the mmx have over the ble? Is the mmx a more powerful esc than the ble or does it just have more features?
Oh and will a 4s pack like a 2200 fit under the hood in the mattzilla chasis do you know? Maybe the 2700 on 4s something I'd consider

Last edited by slapjack; 08-16-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #239
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
Thanks for the reply. What is the problem with the fan? I was going to get the ble but someone said to get the mmp cause it had a fan and if I was Gna do any hill climbing that I would want the fan. But I'm not Gna be wide open throttle bombing hills all the time so maybe I can get away with the ble?
And what added features Des the mmx have over the ble? Is the mmx a more powerful esc than the ble or does it just have more features?
Oh and will a 4s pack like a 2200 fit under the hood in the mattzilla chasis do you know? Maybe the 2700 on 4s something I'd consider
I just got tired of the noise from the fan running all the time plus I wanted an excuse to get a BLE Factory waterproof is nice to have as well. I've done a bit of hill climbing with it and not had any issue.

My experience with the MMX is just what I've read. I don't think it would provide any additional power but I do like the auxiliary wire feature and data logging, I can never have too much data.

You should be able to find a 4s 2200 pack to fit the chassis. When I do 4s (for brief runs) I just use a 1300 mAH and there's a lot of extra room.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #240
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I just got tired of the noise from the fan running all the time plus I wanted an excuse to get a BLE Factory waterproof is nice to have as well. I've done a bit of hill climbing with it and not had any issue.

My experience with the MMX is just what I've read. I don't think it would provide any additional power but I do like the auxiliary wire feature and data logging, I can never have too much data.

You should be able to find a 4s 2200 pack to fit the chassis. When I do 4s (for brief runs) I just use a 1300 mAH and there's a lot of extra room.
I think I am gna go for the ble... I really don't want the castle. Just my preference. Let me ask you this... Do you know about how fast that 3500kv is on 3s? Rough speed? Or comparison to another vehicle? Like have u ever run a summit? I want to at least be as fast as a summit in high gear.

As far as the 4s option with the 2700kv... Would you run into heat issues with that setup? Just wondering between the 2700 on 4s or the 3500 on 3s which would be the better all around setup?

Last edited by slapjack; 08-16-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM