Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

Maybe it's a fluke I burned up the yeti motor then..

I do have a ton of 3s packs, maybe I need to kv up and gear down more in the MT. I have a castle 3800 in it now, and I'm breaking stuff sure, but any kind of gearing for speed and it's getting hot.

Not sure about the yeti though, I figured it would be worth asking before I purchased another motor.

In fact maybe I should put the castle 3800 back in the yeti for now, and buy a 4500 for the MT and gear it down...

I'm having more fun with the MT lately anyway.

Last edited by XSRCdesign; 09-23-2016 at 03:33 PM.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #262
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

you probably had a bearing failure or rotor problem if it smoked, unless it was just overgeared like crazy. Even so, the esc normally overheats first. Send it in, we can see what happened.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
you probably had a bearing failure or rotor problem if it smoked, unless it was just overgeared like crazy. Even so, the esc normally overheats first. Send it in, we can see what happened.
Not sure.. I thought it was weird, I did submit a form and your peeps have been helpful answering my questions.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #264

OK guys I am new to crawling and this forum just signed up today. So I have a question for my motor choice for my wraith. I have a wraith with 2s lipo, Mip driveshafts, 2.2 gearhead beadlocks and voodoo klrs the rest is stock. Yes more upgrades planned for later down the road. My plan is to get the trailmaster BLE Pro esc and a brushless motor. which I am thinking about the pro puller standard 3500KV motor. Should I be looking into A different kv Or will I be good with the 3500KV standard? Or a stubby motor?
I use my wraith for slow crawling on big rocks (mostly slow crawling) and ripping around some in the stones and trails where my slow crawling spots are.
Thanks for any help and advise.

Last edited by irvin787878; 10-01-2016 at 04:48 PM.
irvin787878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #265
Rock Crawler

The stubby is plenty of power for a mostly-stock Wraith. If you plan on lots of upgrades and getting into 10lb+ territory the standard is a better option. If you're insane, the XL can be made to fit as well.

The 2700kV on 3s is a good combo. It can be run bumped to 4s for even more speed. On 2s it's just a bit faster than the stock RTR.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #266

I don't need anything crazy as far as speed the ability to Slow crawling and somewhere around stock speed or the like is just perfectly fine and if it's a little faster that's ok also. Lol I just don't want the heat issues I am dealing with now. I do understand that gearing is part of that also. It ran ok till I added the weight and grip of the new wheels and tires and now it's blazing hot. so I probably should do the standard cause of weight that could be added down the road. 3500kv or 2200kv??? I figure time to upgrade to a Holmes brushless system that I see lots of people love. I will be upgrading and adding more weight down the road. its already at almost 8lbs now.

Last edited by irvin787878; 10-01-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #267
Rock Crawler

I see the 2700kV is out of stock. Here's a comparison of the theoretical top speeds for stock, 3500 and 2200. You can decide from this how fast you want it to be on different batteries. Additionally, you can always refine your speed further with different gearing. If I were in your shoes I'd get the 2200 and run it on 3s. Volt up, gear down!

I doubt you'll have any heat issues. My Puller Pro 3500 pushes around an 11lb Wraith on 3s with a two speed tranny and I don't have any heat issues.

Name:  Speed Compare.PNG
Views: 656
Size:  36.8 KB
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #268

I know this might sound stupid so please remember I am new to crawlers. When u guys say volt up gear down are you talk volt up motor or battery. Or both?
Old 10-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #269
RCC Addict

Increase battery voltage and lower the pinion/raise spur gear count. So if your running 2s, jump to 3s and then adjust your pinion gear to a smaller size.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #270

Ok thanks that is what I was thinking but wanted to be sure.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #271
Quarry Creeper

Help guide me please. Running a 1.9 wraith weighing around 8lbs. It continues to evolve but shouldn't ever get over 10. I'm trying to decide between the 2700 or the 3500. Stubby vs standard. What useable difference is there between the 2? Running 3's lipo crawling and trail runs. Wouldn't mind a little more too end for occasional bashing but but am mostly concerned about smooth low speed and usable torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #272

I have been installing 3500kv standards in everything, a blanket solution that works for me. 2700 is nice if you don't wanna gear down to get wheelspeed in check. I like the wheelspeed though.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #273
I wanna be Dave

Just needed to say it somewhere, your customer service rocks! Completely blown away by you and your team's support!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #274
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have been installing 3500kv standards in everything, a blanket solution that works for me. 2700 is nice if you don't wanna gear down to get wheelspeed in check. I like the wheelspeed though.

Ordered 3500 through rpp. 10/56 a good place to start?

dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #275
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
3500kv Should work fine with 6.5" tires too? I plan on running your extended outdrive so I can run a large spur. ESC I will be using is a MMX. Im building a 16.5" wheelbase mega truck/crawler. BWD Beast chassis/AR60's/HR metal trans.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 PM   #276

Hey i know this thread is 4 months old since last post but i was thinking off getting a HH Puller pro 3500 for my bomber has sway bars and links done with high torq savox servo. And i have burned up 2 stock escs running 2s and 17.5 turn reedy motor I think it is 33000 rpm to. Just upgraded to MM Pro and wanted Bomber to be just as fast and have Torq for slow crawling would this motor work ? I dont plan on going 3s anytime soon.
macyoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyoungblood View Post
Hey i know this thread is 4 months old since last post but i was thinking off getting a HH Puller pro 3500 for my bomber has sway bars and links done with high torq savox servo. And i have burned up 2 stock escs running 2s and 17.5 turn reedy motor I think it is 33000 rpm to. Just upgraded to MM Pro and wanted Bomber to be just as fast and have Torq for slow crawling would this motor work ? I dont plan on going 3s anytime soon.
3500 is great in a bomber
Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Just needed to say it somewhere, your customer service rocks! Completely blown away by you and your team's support!
Thanks for the feedback! We are going into the busy season right now and pushing hard to keep caught up. I have an additional full time service rep this year, should really help keep us on keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
Ordered 3500 through rpp. 10/56 a good place to start?

Indeed, good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
3500kv Should work fine with 6.5" tires too? I plan on running your extended outdrive so I can run a large spur. ESC I will be using is a MMX. Im building a 16.5" wheelbase mega truck/crawler. BWD Beast chassis/AR60's/HR metal trans.
The Puller Pro 540 doesn't care, throw what you want to at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyoungblood View Post
Puller Pro 540 in 3500kv is perfect for the Bomber IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
3500 is great in a bomber
Thanks for helping out, really appreciate it
Old 01-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Silly question.. anything in between a 3500/4500 planned or is it not needed do you think?

How would you feel about a 4500 / 3s combo in a bomber if geared low enough?

Last edited by XSRCdesign; 01-26-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #280

I have a tech question regarding the Transmission Gear Ratio (TGR) for the Yeti 1/10.
I am changing stuff because the rig is now heavy and I went down on kv (2100) and up on the Volts (4S).
I'm trying to find the right gearing and so I need to calculate the FDR and hence the TGR.
HH mentions 1.92 while Axial mentions 5.67. From what I read, the TGR = ratio between the diff gear and the inner gear. So for the Yeti, I would come up with (27/15) = 1.8 for the Yeti.
But, HH multiplies that ratio with the High Speed Transmission Gear Ratio (28/26) which gives 1.92. Axial takes that value and multiplies it by the Bevel Gear Ratio (38/13) which ends up with their 5.67 value.
Who is right? Which number should I use when calculating the FDR????
Anyone can help? Thx.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM