Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #321
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

Dithered mode is a hybrid frequency. It delivers very smooth startup with 8k cool runnings, but does make some extra noise getting there. I either run in 18k for silent operation (which is also dithered, but not as loud), or dithered mode for the smoothest starts and cooler temps.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #322
I wanna be Dave

I switched it over to dithered and high power starts, what a beast ! And smooth start, although I seem to see twitching with my SS bombproof RR slipper, before moving, zero cogging Is that normal with all that torque ?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #323
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Im an impressed camper with my PP3500 and BLE.

What is the dithering mode ? does it only effect frequency / sound ?

will it create heat issues ?

Did you go with the Std 3500 or XL?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #324
I wanna be Dave

Standard, I couldn't imagine an XL in this

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #325

I'm totally new to crawling...

After much searching and reading, I'm contemplating a HH PP 3300kv Stubby paired with a HH BLE for an otherwise stock Vaterra Ascender I've just assembled.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to use the vehicle; I would imagine some crawling and some general trail, so I would like a good combination of low speed control and wheel speed. This setup looks like it would be flexible in that regard. I figured I'd watch temps and adjust pinion/spur if needed.

Thoughts? Anyone else use this combo in an Ascender?
ChrisTheHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #326

That's what is in my ascender. Probably won't have any need to watch heat or adjust gearing.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
That's what is in my ascender. Probably won't have any need to watch heat or adjust gearing.
The poor Ascender that you threw on the floor in your comparison video?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #328

Yep. I didn't want to break the trail finder or 10ii. The ascender took it like a champ. Haven't worked on it once since swapping in hd pinions, cvds, and mip sliding shafts, which was basically after the first week.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #329
I wanna be Dave

I have 2200s in an Ascender and a couple of other rigs, plus multiple 3300s and 2700s in various other rigs (mostly Axial-based and RC4WD-based). All 3 kvs are excellent. The 3300 on 3S has a pretty crazy top end, which is fun but not usable all that often on a scale truck. If you don't need that much top end speed, the 2700 on 3S is hard to beat. And the BLE ESC is excellent to go with any of the three.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #330
Rock Crawler

Well one thing is for certain, and it's no lie the Puller Pro series lays down the POWER!!

Here's a quick video of me pulling my daughter in a classic Fisher Price car. The SCX10II is utilizing a standard size W/P 2700kV Puller Pro with a 13t pinion and running a 3s battery. The Puller Pro didn't break a sweat, normal temps after 15 minutes of stop and go. Could have used 4s if desired.
(Thank god my daughter can't tell a whole story yet and my wife would never go on an RC forum or Daddy would be in T-R-O-U-B-L-E!)
https://youtu.be/8prkuKF2Eow
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #331
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
Well one thing is for certain, and it's no lie the Puller Pro series lays down the POWER!!

Here's a quick video of me pulling my daughter in a classic Fisher Price car. The SCX10II is utilizing a standard size W/P 2700kV Puller Pro with a 13t pinion and running a 3s battery. The Puller Pro didn't break a sweat, normal temps after 15 minutes of stop and go. Could have used 4s if desired.
(Thank god my daughter can't tell a whole story yet and my wife would never go on an RC forum or Daddy would be in T-R-O-U-B-L-E!)
https://youtu.be/8prkuKF2Eow
LMAO, sounds like me and my 3 year old. Sometimes give him a push with my SCX10-II running the same motor you are, when he is on his trike and is having trouble getting it moving.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 AM   #332
Pebble Pounder

Just ordered the Puller Pro XL 3500kv to go in my Losi Baja Rey. Seeing as how it's more of a Yeti style truck (weight and form factor) it seemed like the XL version was the way to go.

Obviously I'm not going to be crawling with it...so hopefully it and the Mamba X I've got on order as well, will be a better motor/esc combo than the stock system which runs ridiculously hot, even with the lowest possible pinion (10t)...since I do quite a bit of grass and dirt running. Time will tell, but I've got high hopes. I just want everything to run nice and cool in the Southern California summers.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #333

The XL installed in a Rey will be just right. More motor than stock.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #334
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The XL installed in a Rey will be just right. More motor than stock.
Good to hear. The constant cogging at low rpm was annoying on the Baja Rey as well...so was looking to eradicate most of that too. Motor just arrived and Mamba X is out for delivery. Gonna be a fun weekend.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #335
Pebble Pounder

Holy crap...even with the stock ESC on the smaller 10t pinion, this XL motor is ridiculous. Lifts the front wheels off the ground at around 3/4 throttle. Unreal power. I couldn't get the stock 13t pinion to mesh right and there just aren't that many tweaks you can make on the Baja Rey to the mesh, but the 10t is PLENTY on 3S.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #336
Pebble Pounder

Finally got the Baja Rey out in the dirt for a long run. 15t pinion on the dirt, just because it seemed the smoothest. Mamba X, Puller Pro 540xl 3500kv Sensored on 3S...motor never broke 130 degrees and esc was at 105. Perfect in the warm California sun today. Short clip of the launch:

https://youtu.be/anGqK2Q4WZY

Never could pull the throttle all the way...way too fast. The BR just isn't meant for that kind of speed. Really impressive overall. Might scale back to 2S just to see how she runs. Probably all I need.

Here's what it looks like installed if anyone cares. LOL. Plenty of room all around.

Last edited by Dbdynsty25; 07-05-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #337
Pebble Pounder

Some more running w the XL in the Baja Rey since I'm talking to myself in here. Haha.

https://youtu.be/Y3uWmbSXaiw
Old 08-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #338
Quarry Creeper

John, I recently updated the firmware in the BLE in my Wraith (with a 3500kv PP), I noticed dithered mode was smooth, but when I tried 18k, (didn't try the other frequencies) the start up speed was quite high, almost like it was running sensorless. 18k mode also made an odd high frequency noise the first time you attempted the drive the rig, the noise would go away after a short time and occasionally return, the noise was as if I was running a lower frequency. I ended up reverting to the previous firmware. Dithered mode looks pretty promising, I'll probably have to try it again.

The high start up speed I was experiencing with the latest firmware not in dithered mode was unacceptably high, perhaps this is the issue quark was having on the previous page?
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #339
Rock Stacker

John can I get your opinion on which puller pro for my axial bomber. Right now I have the crawlmaster 13 brushed with the ae2 esc, castle bec, 3s batteries, geared at 68/11, single speed. Would I need a 2700kv or 3300kv standard puller pro to match the low end control I have now but with some more top speed. Using mamba x for an esc. Not looking for super fast but without sacrificing my low take off control. Thank you
drkuhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahnsB2 View Post
John, I recently updated the firmware in the BLE in my Wraith (with a 3500kv PP), I noticed dithered mode was smooth, but when I tried 18k, (didn't try the other frequencies) the start up speed was quite high, almost like it was running sensorless. 18k mode also made an odd high frequency noise the first time you attempted the drive the rig, the noise would go away after a short time and occasionally return, the noise was as if I was running a lower frequency. I ended up reverting to the previous firmware. Dithered mode looks pretty promising, I'll probably have to try it again.

The high start up speed I was experiencing with the latest firmware not in dithered mode was unacceptably high, perhaps this is the issue quark was having on the previous page?
18k by itself does sacrifice some startup smoothness, which is why we have dithered mode. It is a hybrid of low frequency startup and high frequency running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkuhar View Post
John can I get your opinion on which puller pro for my axial bomber. Right now I have the crawlmaster 13 brushed with the ae2 esc, castle bec, 3s batteries, geared at 68/11, single speed. Would I need a 2700kv or 3300kv standard puller pro to match the low end control I have now but with some more top speed. Using mamba x for an esc. Not looking for super fast but without sacrificing my low take off control. Thank you

Either of those KVs would be faster and still start up smooth. Be forewarned though, the Crawlmaster is the gold standard of smooth startup, and practically any other motor in the world will not be quite as smooth. But the Puller Pro is as close as brushless gets.

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM