Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #361
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

Building a Bomber and had a 1080 with a 21T Holmes Trailmaster brushed motor in it and thought it was a lot of fun. Tonight I installed the Mamba X with Puller Pro 3500Kv, 3s Lipo, and stock kit gearing. I adjusted the throttle and brake curve. From a dead stop I’m literally lifting the truck off the ground with a stab of the throttle. The power is ridiculous!

I also dig the aux feature of the esc. Drag brake when needed and then I can switch and coast more for higher speed stuff. Only thing I’m not digging is even with 100% drag brake in crawling mode I find the Bomber to roll and not hold position well.

Will overall brake strength on mamba x affect the drag break amount?

Last edited by jamesbernatchez; 01-04-2019 at 09:50 PM.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #362
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

No.
What I did to tame things is run a long flat throttle curve. Gives the ability to creep/ hold on hills, because your using the throttle. Here’s what curve I started with

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #363

Good day,
On the official website (holmeshobbies.com) the motors have fallen in price by $45, this sale or the specified price will be constant.
qs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #364
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It’s for sale at that price now

I mean, hurry hurry the motors won’t last long!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #365
I wanna be Dave

WOW !!!!! I’ve gotta grab a few. Now I’ll have to sell the wife or her car......

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #366

Hello John, I'm building up my new Axial 1.9 Wraith (running on 3S) and I want to try out one of your systems for a change up from things I've used in the past. With my Scaled heavy SCX10 II I've enjoyed very slow scale crawling but with this 1.9 Wraith I want to use it for more of a comp rig to X4, at least that's my intent. I'm thinking of running the Trailmaster BLE Pro ESC and maybe getting that Puller Pro 540 Stubby 2700kV, would this be a good fit for that lighter rig? I will probably toss in heavier Vanquish portal axles for it but I'm keeping this rig lighter and less scaled as I would like to be able to run this rig faster when called upon to go from gate to gate. Is the stuby 2700kV enough kV or should I be looking at 3300kV and or should I select normal sized Puller Pro 540 can in 2700kV over the Stuby can? I would still like to have smooth crawling ability too.

Thank you and I'd appreciate your wisdom if you have time to comment.

Last edited by Howlkat; 04-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Howlkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #367

I would choose the stubby can for that build. It's plenty of power. 2700 is a great choice, 3300 could work fine too. 2700 would be more suited to competing though, just typically a bit easier to control and won't get you in trouble with too much power on tap.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #368

Smile Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I would choose the stubby can for that build. It's plenty of power. 2700 is a great choice, 3300 could work fine too. 2700 would be more suited to competing though, just typically a bit easier to control and won't get you in trouble with too much power on tap.

Thank you for your insight and speedy response John! Put in on order for the Puller Pro 540 Stubby 2700kV w/ TrailMaster BLE Pro ESC. Going to try out your SHV500V2 servo too, I used a Protek 370 TBL with my heavy SCX10 ii build, time to give yours a try with this Axial 1.9 Wraith now!

Thanks again,

Bryan

Order #100007494 - Processing
Howlkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #369
Rock Crawler

You will not be disappointed one bit. They are "peppy" with gobs of power. My favorite way to get optimal control is run a linear throttle curve and use your radios EXPO to get a good low speed control. Several of my combos are set between 30-50% and the start up is super smooth and no jerking/jumping when bound up and rolling in throttle lightly. Just something to look at if you feel things are starting too strong. Its convenient running it off the radio to tune rather than the esc programming.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #370

Can you recommend a brushless motor and gearing for an scx10ii I am looking for a great crawling motor with the occasional trail run. I have the mamba x ESCs and was going to go with 3s battery power. Sticking with the 1.9 tires as well. Thank you
Lovetoclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #371
I wanna be Dave

Default Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

2700 or 2200 Puller Pro. Depends on how much wheel speed you like.
That said if the noise doesn’t alarm you look at the revolver 1800

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #372

Same answer, 2200 or 2700kv. I would lean to 2700 for single speed rigs
Old 09-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #373

Stick with stock gear ratio?
Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #374

Yep
Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #375

Ordered the 2700 kv. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #376

Anyone compared puller pro to 1406 castle crawler motors? I have to buy something, prices are almost the same, but how about how they work in field?
Kajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #377

Puller pro stubby starts up smoother and is lighter/smaller . Standard 540 is more powerful, smoother, and same size/weight.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #378

Thanks for info What timing do you suggest on mamba x? And will dynamic timing work on this motor or it will have weak rpm increase as in most 4 pole motors?
Kajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #379

It does not respond much to timing. Use low or lowest timing and just pinion up for wheelspeed gains if needed.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #380
I wanna be Dave

John, I'm in the "3rd-party parts finding" stage of prepping to build a second Capra w/ 4WS, and have some ESC/motor questions. While I wouldn't mind having a little speed/ummph "when needed", this Capra is going to be more about slow/technical rock crawling. To assist in answering them, here's some advance info.

I'll be using an AX10SCX10.2 transmission w/ VP Hurtz V2 Dig, & either 58T or 59T spur. For the pinion, I'm probably going to be using something in the 12T-9T range (10T would probably be my "starting point"). The SCX10.2 axles will be running stock 30T/8T front/rear, along with SSD portals w/ 14T/16T portal gearing (reversing the front portal gears for OD). If I determine that the OD isn't enough, I will probably return the portal gears to their original position, and replace the 30T/8T gears with the 27T/8T OD gears...or, worst case scenario, use the OD gears AND reversed portal gears. Finally, I will be using 3S packs, and I'd prefer to stick with a brushless motor (I'm leaning towards sensored (ie. HH PP), but, if you believe brushless non-sensored would be better, please, let me know). Anyway, now that you have all the "technical" info, here's the questions:

1) Starting with the motor, while I went with the CC Slate 2280kV in the first Capra, I fully intend to use a HH PP BL Standard in this Capra...but, considering my gearing, which would be better - 2200kV, or 2700kV?
2) Regarding the ESC, while I went with the Mamba X in the first Capra, I am uncertain what to go with in the second Capra (although, knowing the 2nd will be heavier than the 1st, the Mamba Micro X is probably unwise). Are you still offering the Trailmaster BLE Pro in your ESC/motor combos? Or, are your combos w/HH PP motors only coming with the CC Mamba X? If you do offer combos work either ESC, but are just currently 'out' of the TM BLE Pro, which ESC would be better for my purpose.

If your combos are now only Mamba X, then I'm guessing I only need an answer to the first question...however, if you are still offering TM BLE Pro-based combos (and are just currently out-of-stock)...and, m going you are...then, I'm back to both questions needing answers. Assistance is always Grant appreciated.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM