Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Sorry for the delayed response, hopefully this info is still helpful. I only run 3S batteries on everything I own and on the bomber specifically I am geared 13/64 and on 3S top speed is right at 17mph. This goes back to what I was saying before about how motors are feeling quicker on the bomber than they are on similarly geared Wraiths. I'm not arguing that the Wraith and Bomber have similar final gear reduction but for whatever reason, the same KV motor feels faster to me and others on the Bomber. My friends are running 3500kv Holmes motors that would have blown the doors off of my Wraith with a 3500 in it and 12/56 gearing. With the 2200 i did pick up more noticeable low speed control and it's now starting to look like longer battery life.

Edit: After watching Hahns second video again I can confidently say my 2200kv Puller Pro standard is AT LEAST as fast as his. I really couldn't believ it myself the first time I pulled the trigger. I was sure I installed the wrong kv motor.
Screamer, Any chance for a video of your top speed on bomber?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #102
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Video of 3500kv standard on 3s and 28.8:1 stock wraith reduction. Tried to get some top speed shots but thereally wasn't any smooth sections long enough. So I just flung around dirt instead.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BADyI8Ip9VE/
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

A quick question about the Puller pro 540XL:
I'm installing mine with the Mamba Monster X
Should I change the wires to the ones that come with the MMX box or just the bullet connector?
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
A quick question about the Puller pro 540XL:
I'm installing mine with the Mamba Monster X
Should I change the wires to the ones that come with the MMX box or just the bullet connector?
If you have a big enough soldering iron to take the wires off the motor quickly, use the thicker wire included with the MMX. Otherwise, just swap out bullets.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #105

with the 3500kv standard, on a stock bomber, what is the recommended pinion? I would rather not instantly break drivetrain parts.
mostly playing around and crawling with very little high speed stuff, but I like the option of going faster...
I have a 11t and a 10t already. thinking very seriously about getting the 2 speed setup as well.

also, I am on the fence about the 3300kv stubby vs the 3500kv standard. my buddy has the 3300 stubby and it seems about perfect,
but it is mentally hard to get the exact same thing! I plan on running 3s.
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #106

Breaking parts is on your throttle finger to avoid. 10T pinion if speed isn't your main concern.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Just ordered a 540XL 3500 for my second Bomber build. Going in a completely different direction with this one and I'm super excited to run this beast motor. I'm building every driveline component as strong as possible as I'm sure this monster power plant will find weakness very quickly. Stay tuned for full review where I'm sure I'll love everything about it. Hahaha
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Just ordered a 540XL 3500 for my second Bomber build. Going in a completely different direction with this one and I'm super excited to run this beast motor. I'm building every driveline component as strong as possible as I'm sure this monster power plant will find weakness very quickly. Stay tuned for full review where I'm sure I'll love everything about it. Hahaha
Now that sounds like my kind of build.

The Puller XL provides an obscene, ludicrous, and unnecessary of power for any truck. I like to refer to that as the proper amount.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #109

Does the Sensor wire come with the BLE/Pro Puller combo?
BakedMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #110
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
Does the Sensor wire come with the BLE/Pro Puller combo?
Yes, a wire comes with motor. At least it did with mine.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #111

Thanks Justin confirmed this in an email.
BakedMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #112
Rock Stacker

John - I am wondering how much larger than stock (currently at +1 from stock) I can go on the pinion gear and stay safe with temps. I run with Antikid (he posted above) and our driving is split between crawling and some hill climbing. Wheel speed helps but also need some slow speed control and grunt.

Set-up is 3300 Stubby, BLE pro, 2S - 25C batteries. stock spur, stock axle gearing.
Silent Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Panda View Post
John - I am wondering how much larger than stock (currently at +1 from stock) I can go on the pinion gear and stay safe with temps. I run with Antikid (he posted above) and our driving is split between crawling and some hill climbing. Wheel speed helps but also need some slow speed control and grunt.

Set-up is 3300 Stubby, BLE pro, 2S - 25C batteries. stock spur, stock axle gearing.

Temp depends on your terrain, vehicle weight, and driving style. You really won't have to worry much, as the entire Puller Pro line runs very efficient and are designed to be the strongest link in the electronics chain. Still keep an eye on heat, but feel free to gear up as high as you want until low speed control is an issue.

Alternatively, keep your gearing the same and run 3s lipo. This method will give better control, higher speed, higher torque, and lower overall temperatures as opposed to gearing up for speed.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #114
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Temp depends on your terrain, vehicle weight, and driving style. You really won't have to worry much, as the entire Puller Pro line runs very efficient and are designed to be the strongest link in the electronics chain. Still keep an eye on heat, but feel free to gear up as high as you want until low speed control is an issue.

Alternatively, keep your gearing the same and run 3s lipo. This method will give better control, higher speed, higher torque, and lower overall temperatures as opposed to gearing up for speed.
Thank you for the fast reply. We are in Cincinnati. Our hills are steep and the soil is mostly clay based. 90% of what we do is in the woods the rest is found urban spots (rock fields for drainage ditches, etc.)

Our crawling spots are very technical and slow and a mix of natural rock and broken cinder block. Our hill climbs are steep, rooty and typically 75' long. We do have some short climbs with step up jumps.

Truck is very close to stock weight maybe lighter. I removed the spare and its mount.

Like my friend Antikid...my throttle finger will get me into trouble. So I have been staying away from 3S. I am trying to keep the truck light and not go crazy with full metal drivetrain and MIP drive shafts and shit.

one of our crawling spots for reference.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #115

Similar terrain to mid Missouri. Indeed, your throttle finger will be your enemy. Over the past decade I've gotten smooth enough where I can run a Puller Pro on stock rigs without breaking anything except rear plastic driveshafts. I have a stock SCX10 with plastic idler that has been going strong since we first got in stubby motors for testing. No punch control, no nothing to smooth things out. It takes a lot of self control sometimes
Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #116

I picked up my 3500kv Puller Pro standard at Hamilton Hobbies today! Couldn't get the BLE ESC so I got the MMP.

Can't wait to try it out on the rocks in the above photo on Sunday.
Next will be the 2spd setup.

Last edited by THX_138; 01-26-2016 at 10:45 PM.
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #117
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikid View Post
I picked up my 3500kv Puller Pro standard at Hamilton Hobbies today! Couldn't get the BLE ESC so I got the MMP.

Can't wait to try it out on the rocks in the above photo on Sunday.
Next will be the 2spd setup.
Get the tow truck ready. So many broken parts forthcoming.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #118

I have a 540xl 3500kv in my yeti with a ble pro esc and would like to be able to run 4s. I have a fan on the motor and it hardly ever gets warm running on 2s now, the esc however gets pretty warm and I think could become the bigger issue. At what point do you have to start worrying about overheating the second?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmain2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #119

160f on the heatsink is a good point to start gearing down or increasing cooling. Run 8k frequency for lowest heat.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Question: the puller pro 3500kv on 3s how do speeds compare to a pro4 hd 3000kv on 3s is the puller pro gonna be faster?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
rcaholic13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM