Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2017, 02:19 AM   #301
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

The other reason for a stubby is if he doesn't have a standard version in stock which was my case when I wanted to get the 2700kv waterproof.

From what I have read around the forums the Standard sized ones have a better start up than stubby's do. Might wind up attempting to get a 2700kv standard waterproof if and when it comes in stock than swapping the stubby over to my tf2. Running the stubby 2700kv with MMP in my SCX10-II and actually have a HH BLE PRO in my TF2 running stock motor.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #302
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, I picked up a 3500kv puller pro 540 to run in my scx10-ii with a tekin RS Gen2, on 2-cell and intended to do comp crawling. The motor was super strong and fast, but I didn't like the motor startup speed. Under load, it has a spot that the motor has to get going past 0-RPM to get going, but at that point, its too fast. Adding start speed in the ESC or adding Acceleration on the transmitter to get over that hump makes it better, but makes it really hard to crawl slow. Changed the ESC to Mamba Max Pro, and its pretty much the same. So I changed the pinion to a 10-tooth, (which barely reaches the spur in the SCX10 ii), and it was way better, but still have that start up speed, it's just now a little slower. Don't get me wrong, the motor has loads of power, but this start-up speed was something I was not expecting for it to be so high. Reading on here, looks like the lower KV are about the same, and worst in the stubby? anything else I can try? thinking about switching back to my 2-pole 17.5 turn stock sedan motor timed to its lowest setting, its not as powerful, but it has excellent low and smooth startup speed.
quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #303
I wanna be Dave

You can change the torque settings thru castle link, the throttle curve is also adjustable there.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #304
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
You can change the torque settings thru castle link, the throttle curve is also adjustable there.

Hang up and Drive

Torque settings is unlimited. Throttle curve doesn't affect the startup speed. What I'm talking about is that very fine line from 0-rpm to when the motor just starts to move. The motor will hang up and hum till it receive enough power to get it past it when it is loaded.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #305
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like you need a slower KV for your preferences. The BLE controller has better startup, but if the MMP is too jerky you probably won't be satisfied with the BLE either.

Different KV doesn't affect the minimum startup speed, but higher kv motors pack more Rpms into your throttle and make it more sensitive. A 2200kv speed would get you back to the 17.5 realm of easy driving.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #306
Rock Stacker

Thanks for responding. I don't mind the high kv, I can tone it all out with exp throttle curves and finger control, but I can't change the motor's startup speed. This really is only a problem if I stop when comp crawling, or when I'm bound up. If its already moving, its perfectly fine and strong and just crawls like if you had low range 1st gear engaged. Ironically, the more slop i have in my drive line, gear mesh, axle to locker, etc, the better it is, as the motor has the room to spin up. Sorta like giving it some gas before engaging the clutch. Is the startup speed any different in the trailmaster? I really don't want to go brushed.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #307

The BLE controller will start up the Puller at about 2.8% of your pack voltage in dithered mode, compared to the MMP that is about 10%. Maybe you would benefit from the BLE if you can throttle back after startup. The trailmaster motor does not start as smooth as pullers.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #308
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The BLE controller will start up the Puller at about 2.8% of your pack voltage in dithered mode, compared to the MMP that is about 10%. Maybe you would benefit from the BLE if you can throttle back after startup. The trailmaster motor does not start as smooth as pullers.
That's interesting. One of my LHS has one a BLE controller, might give it a try. I might also give the Tekin Pro4 a try. How does the Tekin Pro4 start up speed compare to your pullers?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #309

Any idea when the waterproof pp 3500kv will be back in stock?
Schriner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #310
Rock Stacker

Ready to pull the trigger on a BLE/Puller Pro combo.

I need some help deciding between the Puller Pro 2700kv or 3500kv. It's going in a project Wraith for Axialfest, so it's gonna see a bunch of crawling, the enduro event, as well as the rock races. The rest of the year it'll be mostly for crawling, but would be great to have some speed on tap... around maybe 20mph. This will be run on 3s.

Also, is there much of a difference in the low end control between these two options?

Thanks!

Last edited by Davey; 04-10-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Ready to pull the trigger on a BLE/Puller Pro combo.

I need some help deciding between the Puller Pro 2700kv or 3500kv. It's going in a project Wraith for Axialfest, so it's gonna see a bunch of crawling, the enduro event, as well as the rock races. The rest of the year it'll be mostly for crawling, but would be great to have some speed on tap... around maybe 20mph. This will be run on 3s.

Also, is there much of a difference in the low end control between these two options?

Thanks!
I would recommend the 2700kV for you since you mention crawling and 3S.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #312
Rock Stacker

Quote:
...eelspeed in most applications. You didn't hear it from me, but the 3500kv also seems to handle 4s pretty dang good if it doesn't overheat and soften the rotor epoxy.
I'm toying around with the idea of 4S on a Twin Hammers, with the BLE and the 3500kv. I run the MT4 so I have telemetry. I normally put a temp sensor at the rear of the motor (near the contacts), and a second in the space where the ESC sends out the contacts for the motor. My question is, "What is a safe operating temp for the 3500kv when running on 4s?" Or 3S really.

My 16t CrawlMaster Pro on 4S only gets up to 125 degrees when it's working REAL hard, but I suspect the Puller Pro 3500kv on 4S is going to be decently higher?
4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #313
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
Hey guys, I picked up a 3500kv puller pro 540 to run in my scx10-ii with a tekin RS Gen2, on 2-cell and intended to do comp crawling. The motor was super strong and fast, but I didn't like the motor startup speed. Under load, it has a spot that the motor has to get going past 0-RPM to get going, but at that point, its too fast. Adding start speed in the ESC or adding Acceleration on the transmitter to get over that hump makes it better, but makes it really hard to crawl slow. Changed the ESC to Mamba Max Pro, and its pretty much the same. So I changed the pinion to a 10-tooth, (which barely reaches the spur in the SCX10 ii), and it was way better, but still have that start up speed, it's just now a little slower. Don't get me wrong, the motor has loads of power, but this start-up speed was something I was not expecting for it to be so high. Reading on here, looks like the lower KV are about the same, and worst in the stubby? anything else I can try? thinking about switching back to my 2-pole 17.5 turn stock sedan motor timed to its lowest setting, its not as powerful, but it has excellent low and smooth startup speed.

I am running the Puller Pro 3500kv 540 on 3s with the HH BLE Brushless controller and I just got back from the crawler course and I did not notice the issue you experiencing..mine had superb low speed control and excellent start up control.. mine is the scx10II kit version and weighs in at 6.940 lbs
Attached Images

Last edited by allanon1965; 04-24-2017 at 12:09 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 PM   #314
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I am running the Puller Pro 3500kv 540 on 3s with the HH BLE Brushless controller and I just got back from the crawler course and I did not notice the issue you experiencing..mine had superb low speed control and excellent start up control.. mine is the scx10II kit version and weighs in at 7.4 lbs
that is interesting. Maybe I'm just to anal about it, though I need to make it down to my LHS and pick up the BLE to try out. I've had a chance to test others with the same motor running the BLE speedo and can't seem to find that same issue. Maybe that 2.8% vs 10% startup voltage might just get me where I want.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #315
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jay View Post
My question is, "What is a safe operating temp for the 3500kv when running on 4s?" Or 3S really.
Keep it under 160* and you're good.

4S in a TH should be no problem assuming it isn't full throttle all the time. I have driven a Wraith with a 3500KV on 4S and the motor barely broke a sweat under normal trail driving conditions with the occasional high speed antics thrown in.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:18 AM   #316
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Alrighty Mr. Holmes. I picked up a BLE and spent the last 3 hours bench testing the BLE, MMP, and Tekin RS gen2. I gotta say, you did something pretty good there on that BLE cause it sure doesn't feel like my other speedos. It is definitely smoother startup and more consistent. I tried the dithered mode, and that was even smoother, but it made the Puller Pro sound like a UFO. lol. I still get hints of the motor stalling on load, but I can feel that it gets out of it with much less throttle input, thus making creep slower. I gotta take it out on the rocks and see, but so far so good. Care to share what it is that makes the BLE stand out from the rest in the motor startup?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
Alrighty Mr. Holmes. I picked up a BLE and spent the last 3 hours bench testing the BLE, MMP, and Tekin RS gen2. I gotta say, you did something pretty good there on that BLE cause it sure doesn't feel like my other speedos. It is definitely smoother startup and more consistent. I tried the dithered mode, and that was even smoother, but it made the Puller Pro sound like a UFO. lol. I still get hints of the motor stalling on load, but I can feel that it gets out of it with much less throttle input, thus making creep slower. I gotta take it out on the rocks and see, but so far so good. Care to share what it is that makes the BLE stand out from the rest in the motor startup?

The difference is that I have been crawling passionately for 15 years, and I understand motors and hardware enough to guide software development.

As good as it currently is, I'm still not satisfied. The continued support of our customers will result in improvements down the road.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #318
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The difference is that I have been crawling passionately for 15 years, and I understand motors and hardware enough to guide software development.

As good as it currently is, I'm still not satisfied. The continued support of our customers will result in improvements down the road.
Seems like its working. I'm used to going fast and all about mid to high motor rpm feel and getting that last bit of speed at a track. This going slow thing is new to me.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #319

We power the worlds fastest U4 racers too, you don't have to go slow with Holmes Power on board
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #320
I wanna be Dave

Default Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Sensored motors- Lays down the Power!

Im an impressed camper with my PP3500 and BLE.

What is the dithering mode ? does it only effect frequency / sound ?

will it create heat issues ?

mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Puller Pro Brushless 4 pole Rock Crawler motors- Lay down the Power! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies 2 pole vs 4 pole brushless CoolRunning Electronics 1 02-13-2017 08:32 AM