Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: Voltage regulators!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #41
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you don't have your own Castle link to change it, I would recommend staying with 6v. If I were to set it at 6.5v and you had heat issues, you wouldn't be able to put it back down to 6v.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Thankyou for the good advice J.R.H. i recieved my bec today,wow that was fast.What a great company to deal with i tried my best to screw up the order with my damn pay pal account.John kept on top of things for me,appreciate the service,i hope the best for you sir and i will spread the word about youre awsome service.Mike.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #43

Thanks man, I appreciate it!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Hey JRH (or anyone else who knows), I recently got the Cool UBEC and am confused by all the wires coming out of it. I understand how to hook up the + and - to the power source, but all the other stuff doesn't make sense. I read about having the "jumper" hooked up to get 6v and leave it unhooked to have 5v, but haven't really seen this explained or which ones we're talking about.

Thanks in advance....
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #45

The two RX leads are for the ESC and RX. The female plug isolates the ESC (no need to remove the red wire) and the male goes to the RX ESC channel. I have none sitting here to look at and tell you about the jumper, but the circuit board should be labeled.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Okay, so I guess it's starting to make sense.....I plug the ESC's rx lead into the female socket on the UBEC, and plug it into the rx, then just attach the power wires to the main battery pack leads.

Wait, just looked at it, everything seems much more simple now with it in front of me. Only thing is, I don't see a jumper, but a very small switch right above the ESC input/output line, is this what you're talking about? It slides back and forth, I'm guessing to change output maybe? Heck, I might be totally off, but at least it isn't as confusing as I first thought.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #47

Yep, the model that you have has a switch instead of a jumper. There are three models of cool BEC out there that I know of.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I'm getting a bit needy now.........but any idea which switch position delivers what voltage? I guess the idiot test would be to wire it up and see which setting the servo runs faster at.....
Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Hrm, I might have one of these. Let me have a look. I can plug it in to my multimeter. I was sure it was labeled on the opposite side though.

Edit: Not labeled, 6V is towards the wires and the red light turns on to let you know.

Last edited by Cloak; 02-04-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Hey john,me again it looks like my ccbec took a dump on me igot no output but voltage going in.What kinds warranty do you got on these its only had a few packs through it?

Last edited by rockmike; 02-25-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #51

Warrenty is generally held through Castle. What kind of situation? Nothing out of the ordinary?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

2.2 tuber 51/2 lbs
2/3a 7 cell
rooster crawler esc
hs645 steering
hs81 dig
hs81 winch
65t lathe

Ran one pack through it in my back yard boulders,dumped.Went in charged pack,30min. later started runnin again about 5 min. in it just quite.Brought crawler inside had no output power in ccbec had plenty power goin in.

So i put red wire back into esc plug and plugged in and everything worked fine.Checked to see if solder joint maybe failed..not the case.So i need this fixed,do i just contact castle and bypass you.That seems laime,I own a auto parts store if someone buys a part from me and it failes under awarranty idont tell them to send it to the manufacture.I take care of it for them thats part of my job.Im not trying to be nasty john,so please dont take it that way,im just saying thats the standard in my industry.Let me know what i need to do and will happily do so.

thanx,mike.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 PM   #53

All looks good on your setup, and it is certainly within specs of the BEC. It is a warrenty situation I would say, and Castle generally likes to handle the issues themselves. Since this was basically the first run though, I can call it a defective from the factory and handle it myself quicker than Castle. What was the order number? I can get a new one out with tomorrows mail.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
All looks good on your setup, and it is certainly within specs of the BEC. It is a warrenty situation I would say, and Castle generally likes to handle the issues themselves. Since this was basically the first run though, I can call it a defective from the factory and handle it myself quicker than Castle. What was the order number? I can get a new one out with tomorrows mail.

Order #1031,Thanx bud
I really like runnin the frnt suck down wich on my tuber,but every since i put this in the tuber i have been smokin stuff.I fried 2 tr2's,whent with the rooster crawler brushed,started acting up.So i bought youre ccbec to play it safe.Sent rooster crawler off to have it checked and reprogrammed,got it back hooked everything up made sure all wires were in good shape.Ran it just the way i described above and the bec died.

So what gives this is killing me im not runnin big high powered servo's.
the winch system is just a hs 81 with a servoe horn hooked up through a rolling folcrom point with a rope that hooks to the chassis,it is under stress pretty much constantly,i wouldnt think that would kill the bec.Do you think im better off just buying a servo already converted to a winch type servo?would that be easier on stuff?

Im especialy stressed on this because im geting ready to put in a ds8711 steering servo,as you know that a high torque unit thats goin to add evan more stress to the system.I dont really know of any one else runnin a suckdown servo like this,to get feedback and info off of.Seems totally dooable but i cant seem to keep the genie from coming out of anything a put in it.

One thing i havnt mentioned is im useing an airplane 4 channel radio.I wouldnt think that would have a negetive affect on the system but im not an elctronics guru either.

Thanx for youre help jrh.

Im going to throw a thread up in the elctronics section and start a conversation up and see what peeps think.

Last edited by rockmike; 02-26-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Guess what another one bites the dust john.

Dude ive had 2 guys that have been doing this along time look at my wireing and setup and they claim it looks great better than most.

i installed the 2nd one did a little playing on the shop floor to make sure everything was working,and it was.

Took to comp ran stage 1 no probs.

ran stage 2 no probs.

Run stage 3 and before i got to gate 2 the truck startes glitching and bucking then nothing. dead.

take my repair,remove bec put red wire back into esc plug and plug in works fine go back to stage 3 and finish the comp working just fine.

When i get home check for out put voltage and there is none.

What gives,dude this time i have a diffeerant servo,differant radio /reciever,differant motor.Same result 10 minutes of run time and toast.

So i notice the package says "ratings are determined with a 5mph air flow" i have zero air flow the first one was mounted upside down on the roof and lasted 30 minutes.The second one i mounted on the dig servo and ladted 10 minutes.

Last edited by rockmike; 03-31-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
Keep it real

Yeah, that was really weird Mike, everything checked out on your wiring when I looked at it, and it was weird how it worked fine on the first 2 stages and then started jerking and then just up and shut down on the way to gate2. I'm stumped. Then again, you seem to have a knack for letting the smoke out:-P

Last edited by Tanis; 04-01-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #57

I'm pretty stumped as well. Either you are just unlucky with these things or you are finding the magical way to blow them up. Your sig seems appropriate.

Maybe it is indeed an airflow issue in your case.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

That what im thinkin john cause dude ive tried everything,im willing to try again with a fan on it if youre willing to send me another.I never did send you the other one back but i will so you could check them out.Now we have two would be interesting to see if the same type of failure has happened to both.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #59
Trying to have Fun Again

Well mike i'm in the same boat as you also worked for about 10 min then start glitching the steering than it was gone.
Red Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #60
RCC Addict

with the recent run of ccbes's its not sounding promising for one i just ordered. i have a couple that have been fine for months, but all i see is the newer ones with issues. sounds like i should get an envelope ready to send it in..lol
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote