Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies
Loading

Notices

Thread: HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Default Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Brushed Motor

So, Raptor57, it sounds like you REALLY like your 5 turn Cobalt in your 12 pound super. When you say the 10 turn version would have been better in it, do you mean because it would run cooler, stronger, or....?? Was it actually faster on 8 cells than your 3025-8 on 10 cells?

How did you set up your rig for 120:1? (I assume its your Twin Force axled super with the TF tranny.) How else do the two motors stack up against each other? Would you say you actually prefer the Cobalt in your super?

Any idea how run times compare if using the same cells, or have you compared that?
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: portland
Posts: 138
Default

I saw someone asked earlier but i didnt see an answer. How is amp draw / runtime on these? And the open end might be good for my scaler, dirt/mud/sand could flow in but also out easily. And what about replacement brushes?
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 482
Default

Got it all mounted up in my ax-10. Fits in there like a glove!
Im using a mamba max w/ the cobalt puller, and it acts like a supercharged novak goat system.

I definitely need new gearing with this. Maybe an r2 would be good for it. With the stock ax-10 gearing, it has insane wheelspeed. Plenty of low end torque though

I'll post up some video of the mamba/cobalt tonight

Last edited by tsaun987; 09-28-2007 at 04:21 PM.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumptruck View Post
I saw someone asked earlier but i didnt see an answer. How is amp draw / runtime on these? And the open end might be good for my scaler, dirt/mud/sand could flow in but also out easily. And what about replacement brushes?
Runtime depends on your trigger finger. I can get an hour in my 2.2 with a 2100 3 cell lipo. If I am heavy on the throttle I could whittle that down to 20 minutes I am sure.

As for replacement brushes, I am working on that. They are not available at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaun987 View Post
Got it all mounted up in my ax-10. Fits in there like a glove!
Im using a mamba max w/ the cobalt puller, and it acts like a supercharged novak goat system.

I definitely need new gearing with this. Maybe an r2 would be good for it. With the stock ax-10 gearing, it has insane wheelspeed. Plenty of low end torque though

I'll post up some video of the mamba/cobalt tonight

What voltage are you using, and which turn?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #25
TEAM MODERATOR
 
Reflection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 10,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
So, Raptor57, it sounds like you REALLY like your 5 turn Cobalt in your 12 pound super. When you say the 10 turn version would have been better in it, do you mean because it would run cooler, stronger, or....?? Was it actually faster on 8 cells than your 3025-8 on 10 cells?
Yes,I REALLY like the Cobalt motor. Because of the higher turns,just like any brushed motor,the 10 turn should have lower amp draw and higher torque rating. In turn,it should run cooler if the gearing and cell count is left alone. Yes,the 5 turn was a touch faster than my 3025-8.....even with twice the gear 120:1 on the Cobalt and 60:1 on my Hyperion and the Cobalt was still fasterEven with more cells on the Hyperion. Not much faster but it was faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
How did you set up your rig for 120:1? (I assume its your Twin Force axled super with the TF tranny.) How else do the two motors stack up against each other? Would you say you actually prefer the Cobalt in your super?
Yes,it's in my super. I got 120:1 through a GD600. They are both a haws but the 3025-8 will overpower the Cobalt easily. The cobalt has the upperhand though with the smooth throttle response and higher wheel speed on lower cell count(less weight). Which do I prefer???????? Hard to say,they are both VERY good motors.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
Any idea how run times compare if using the same cells, or have you compared that?
Can't run the 5 turn on 10 cells.......if you want it to last a while My outrunner will get longer run times. The efficiency of brushless motors will generally be allot better for run times anyway. Gearing,driving style and everything else plays a huge part in it.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
Runtime depends on your trigger finger. I can get an hour in my 2.2 with a 2100 3 cell lipo. If I am heavy on the throttle I could whittle that down to 20 minutes I am sure.

As for replacement brushes, I am working on that. They are not available at this time.




What voltage are you using, and which turn?
10turn
9.6v (elite 1500's)
Stock ax-10 gearing (14t & 87t)
Maybe the wheelspeed is a little bit faster or just the same as the goat. It's kinda hard to tell but...
This thing is AWESOME JRH!!! The low speed control is amazing with the Cobalt Puller 10t!!!
Once again, excellent job man
-Tyler
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,246
Default

Are these going to be a regular thing or a limited run?
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #28
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default

THIS is a limited run. I am working on finding a factory to produce these for me on a long term basis, there are few brushed motor factories left in the world.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Default Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Brushed Motor

Raptor57, are you running a Mamba Maxx in your super with the cobalt motor?

By the way, has anyone heard any news on the to-be-upgraded version of the Mamba Maxx that has been referred to several times on here recently?
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: woods cross
Posts: 51
Default

CAN YOU CUT THE coms? are they similar to lrp puller motors?
chafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #31
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
Raptor57, are you running a Mamba Maxx in your super with the cobalt motor?

By the way, has anyone heard any news on the to-be-upgraded version of the Mamba Maxx that has been referred to several times on here recently?
I haven't heard anything on the update yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafee View Post
CAN YOU CUT THE coms? are they similar to lrp puller motors?
You can cut the comm, but it is round from the factory. These motors are nowhere near the same as the LRP puller. My motors have more torque and rpm range, they have a totally different design.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Racking my Brain
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
Raptor57, are you running a Mamba Maxx in your super with the cobalt motor?

By the way, has anyone heard any news on the to-be-upgraded version of the Mamba Maxx that has been referred to several times on here recently?
Call Castle Creations they will tell you the basics of what you want to know. I havent gotten anything really technical out of them yet but they will give you the dummy version of what will be different.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #33
Adilynsdad too!
 
braceysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: G ville
Posts: 8,844
Default

I picked up a 7t from JRH for a rock racer project. I threw it in a bruiser hybred running tlt axles and a pede tranny. With 8 cells and a mamba maxx this motor is the bomb...

I will replace every motor in my scale/trail rigs with one of these!

It is exactly as JRH says, great low speed torque and tons of wheels speed...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #34
Official Cook of the ECC
 
Scattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hawthorne, Florida
Posts: 2,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I picked up a 7t from JRH for a rock racer project. I threw it in a bruiser hybred running tlt axles and a pede tranny. With 8 cells and a mamba maxx this motor is the bomb...

I will replace every motor in my scale/trail rigs with one of these!

It is exactly as JRH says, great low speed torque and tons of wheels speed...
Is that the turn you would recommend? I am running a hybrid with a stealth. been running a 35 turn in it but sometimes I wish it had a little more balls. Have you run it on 6 cells and if so how does it compare to a 35 turn?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #35
Adilynsdad too!
 
braceysdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: G ville
Posts: 8,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scattman View Post
Is that the turn you would recommend? I am running a hybrid with a stealth. been running a 35 turn in it but sometimes I wish it had a little more balls. Have you run it on 6 cells and if so how does it compare to a 35 turn?
I've only ran it on the 8 cell pack of 2/3 A's. I think JRH has been recommending the 10t for most crawler applications. I'm actually gonna use the 7t on a R2 2 speed tranny...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,246
Default

Save some for the rest of us BD!
I got a 10T for a 6th scale build I'll be starting soon hopefully.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tunin' Tires
Posts: 239
Default

JRH, thanks for the Cobalt! Hooked up to a Max and r2, the low speed control was so much nicer than with the hyperion. Another one hit out of the park imo.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,206
Default

After you told me about these at Nats, I figured I should keep an eye out. Haven't been online much with the house sale/purchase so I figure better late than never.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 260
Default

pardon my ignorance, bu i've seen tham somwhere else.... just can't rember where.....

one sec....

here
https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=6340

groupner ultra motors, thet are DC'd though, so get em while you can (from JRH - about $200 cheaper )

there's more here, not just that one.....
https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AA

Last edited by SnailMail; 10-01-2007 at 06:22 PM.
SnailMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #40
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default

It is a similar motor, no doubt the graupner motors are a bit higher quality. Too bad they are discod. Brushed motors are falling by the wayside.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 + Cobalt Puller Highlucks G-Made Crawlers 3 05-31-2010 09:38 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com