Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #181
ghetto fabulous newbie

john please help me out finding a answer.Click servos
Also do you think a Elite 2000 10 cell would be enough power for the Scorpion 3032-10? estimated runtime with the elite 2000's for my super? also what do you know about the Scorpion 3026-10,how would that do in a super?
Thanks

Last edited by yotachump; 12-18-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #182
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I didn't have the net for a few days, time to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
where can i get that? even plastic shrink wrap...
I think CBP carries the shrink, otherwise your lhs should have some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekx65 View Post
I have a traxxas evx and would like to run ~12 volts my question is what is the best brushed motor the esc can handle but it has to be pretty fast but still have some torque. Any suggestions? It would have to be comparable to a xl-5 w/12t motor running on 7 cells.
A 27t on 12 volts would be pretty fast, or you could go with a hand wind of some sort like a 21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion289 View Post
Building my 1st rig. Going with a set of clod axles with a tuber chassis I'm building. I'm going to order a mamba max but not sure of batteries and how the brushless motor ratings are. I'm planning on doing some weekend crawls but some comps that I fairly close to me. I'm planning on upgrading the axles to cvd's and as I need metal gears.
Not sure about batteries or a good starting point on motors
The crawlmaster motors work great in a clod, and as for batteries an 8 or 9 cell elite 1500 pack is plenty of juice for comps. If you want longer runtime then either two packs or a set of sub-C is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaz View Post
John,

I may have missed this somewhere but do these pieces of electronics like water or should I be trying to waterproof it??

I have been submerging mine today (and previous trip) and things have been going very strange, ESC keeps cutting out (Mtroniks viper ssr - waterproof) then at times the motor will run without any throttle input. When I removed the Castle BEC and ran with the ESC's BEC all was well.

Thanks in advance.
Electronics do not like water, especially the RX. The Castle BEC doesn't like water either. Put them in balloons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Hey John, are you still building packs? I need an 8 cell brick of Elite 1500's with a female dean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Hey John Rob got one for you!

Can I use this lipo with my super?
11.1V 2100mAh 3-Cell LiPo, 16GA

Specs
  • Type:Lipo
  • Capacity:2100mAh
  • Voltage:11.1V
  • Wire Gauge:16 gauge
  • Number of Cells:3
  • Weight:5.2 oz
  • Dimensions (WxLxH):1.35 x 4.0 x .80
  • Maximum Continuous Discharge:8.5C
  • Maximum Burst Discharge:12C
  • Maximum Continuous Current:18A
  • Charge Protection Circuitry:Yes
My rig is a clod buster with two 55 t integy machine wound motors with a tq3 reciever and two 1/4 scale servos, however the servos are run off of a 5 cell 1200 mah reciever pack.
thanks
Ty
That sounds like it wont have enough discharge rate, 8.5c isn't much at all.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
john please help me out finding a answer.Click servos
Also do you think a Elite 2000 10 cell would be enough power for the Scorpion 3032-10? estimated runtime with the elite 2000's for my super? also what do you know about the Scorpion 3026-10,how would that do in a super?
Thanks
That would be enough voltage for the 3032, but I don't know about the discharge rates on those cells. It would be borderline. The 3026 would do pretty good in a super too, just not as much power.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #184
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcoppens View Post
Hi JRH,
For a little change I am going to be building a 1/6 basher using a txt-1 chassis, gearbox and axles. I have an extra mamba max and will be running 14-16 cell nimh. What is your suggestion for a motor as I am looking for torque and plenty of wheelspeed. Currently the setup is the old evx and dual titans.

Thanks

Hi JRH,
I think you missed this question of mine. What motor are you carrying right now that would be good for this setup? Again I am looking at using a mamba max and putting it in a jugg gearbox for now, moving onto an emaxx tranny.

Edit: I would also run 1 pack if I could run only one motor.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #185

The hardest part is the tranny and axles. You wont have much geardown to work with. The second issue is the voltage. With any heavy vehicle you are best using a higher voltage with a slower motor. I still have one XL feigao motor left, it would work well but needs a 5mm pinion.

Is this basher only or will you want it to crawl too?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #186
Quarry Creeper

JRH, ETA on getting AX-10's back in stock?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
JRH, ETA on getting AX-10's back in stock?
A few days, I have 10 on order as of last friday.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #188
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The hardest part is the tranny and axles. You wont have much geardown to work with. The second issue is the voltage. With any heavy vehicle you are best using a higher voltage with a slower motor. I still have one XL feigao motor left, it would work well but needs a 5mm pinion.

Is this basher only or will you want it to crawl too?

This is going to be a basher.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #189
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Lipo stuff

John,
I'm almost ready to take a step up into the Lipo world and was wondering what you'd recommend for me based off of the products you carry. I'm planning on making this change in January...

For the batteries, I'm thinking about these:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
I'm running a Mamba Max with a CC BEC (that I'd lke to run at 7.2v) and a 55t Integy. Sound reasonable? Oh I noticed your batteries seem to be a lot smaller physically than the Great Planes one I was looking at in my LHS. It was 124x42x22mm 15C 2100 mah 3-cell and yours is 65x34x20mm. Why/how is that? Is that because they have a built in balancer? What is the good/bad to having balance built in?

I'll also need an AC/DC charger and want one that does everything I'd ever need it to do to a Lipo (balancing, etc). I have a seperate charger already for my Nicd packs so discharge on the Lipo charger isn't necessary (I think). So I'm thinking about this:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1
I'm not sure I understand the balancing & adapter part though. Could you explain it to me in small words?

Last question is about the plugs on the ends of the batteries... I currently have Female Deans plugs on my ESCs and it looks like the batteries come with Females as well. Is that something I can change on the batteries or should I redo my ESCs and all my other batts? I didn't have any specific reason for doing it that way, it just turned out like that and I notice some of the Lipo batts have warnings about messing with the wiring.

Thanks,
Patrick

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-19-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #190
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

My question must have hit a nerve or been to hard to answer :-P I get forgotten alot
Old 12-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Hey John, are you still building packs? I need an 8 cell brick of Elite 1500's with a female dean.
Missed the question, sorry. I don't have enough time to handbuild packs, but I can get them made in bulk with welded or soldered construction. I will put those on the next order for packs, and Cheapbatterypacks is a place you could get them made asap. Which construction type do you want?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcoppens View Post
This is going to be a basher.
In that case your budget is really your limit for speed. Just how fast do you want to go, and would you consider lipo? A mamba max/ 8xl combo would work well for 12-14 cell nimh (35-40mph) and about $210, but if you want to go really fast you need more voltage and a more expensive motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
John,
I'm almost ready to take a step up into the Lipo world and was wondering what you'd recommend for me based off of the products you carry. I'm planning on making this change in January...

For the batteries, I'm thinking about these:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
I'm running a Mamba Max with a CC BEC (that I'd lke to run at 7.2v) and a 55t Integy. Sound reasonable? Oh I noticed your batteries seem to be a lot smaller physically than the Great Planes one I was looking at in my LHS. It was 124x42x22mm 15C 2100 mah 3-cell and yours is 65x34x20mm. Why/how is that? Is that because they have a built in balancer? What is the good/bad to having balance built in?

I'll also need an AC/DC charger and want one that does everything I'd ever need it to do to a Lipo (balancing, etc). I have a seperate charger already for my Nicd packs so discharge on the Lipo charger isn't necessary (I think). So I'm thinking about this:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...5&cat=7&page=1
I'm not sure I understand the balancing & adapter part though. Could you explain it to me in small words?

Last question is about the plugs on the ends of the batteries... I currently have Female Deans plugs on my ESCs and it looks like the batteries come with Females as well. Is that something I can change on the batteries or should I redo my ESCs and all my other batts? I didn't have any specific reason for doing it that way, it just turned out like that and I notice some of the Lipo batts have warnings about messing with the wiring.

Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick,

1. The lipo must be larger in size because of the built in balancer, (if it indeed has one). Otherwise I cant guess on why the batteries are a different size. If you have a balancer you don't one built into the pack.

2. The charger and balancer in the 0606i work without fuss. Basically you charge the lipo like normal with just a few button presses, and the balancing tap is plugged into the side of the charger too. The adapter makes about any brand of lipo balance on the charger. The vislero lipos I carry come with an adapter so you wont need a different one.

3. Your batteries need a female plug, ESC's and brushed motors get the male plug. Having a male on the battery is dangerous really, especially on good sub-c packs. A shorted sub C will drain upwards of 500 amps momentarily before it starts to heat up fast.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #193
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Thanks John. I'll go ahead and redo the ends on my ESCs and batteries and will let you know when I'm ready to order.

I didn't think about shorting the batteries with the male ends. Guess I was preparing myself for natural selection
Old 12-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #194

Shorted packs are no fun. I have ruined a few myself.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #195
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Missed the question, sorry. I don't have enough time to handbuild packs, but I can get them made in bulk with welded or soldered construction. I will put those on the next order for packs, and Cheapbatterypacks is a place you could get them made asap. Which construction type do you want?
I was looking for the soldered. CBP's is where I usually get them, but I saw that you were making other packs like the saddles and just thought I'd ask. I do need a couple pretty quick, so I'll go with CBP's this time around. I know where to get saddles now though for the AX axles
Old 12-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #196
Rock Crawler

Quote:
In that case your budget is really your limit for speed. Just how fast do you want to go, and would you consider lipo? A mamba max/ 8xl combo would work well for 12-14 cell nimh (35-40mph) and about $210, but if you want to go really fast you need more voltage and a more expensive motor.

Thanks JRH, when I get back from vaca in a few weeks I will be looking at getting something and will let you know.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

This thread is a good idea!!
So here's my question. I bought a Revolver 2 last year and I'm just now getting around to install it. The adapter it came with is shaped like an X, with the four inner holes the ones that match up to the motor. My problem is that I'm trying to put this into a pede tranny but the outer holes on the adapter don't match up. Do I just need to drill some new holes in the tranny or did I get the wrong motor adapter? It also came with a big red o-ring.
THanks in advance,
Tom
Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #198
ghetto fabulous newbie

do you think the Vislero 2100 3s lipo battery that you sell would be a good choice for my super with the Scorpion 3032-10? Estimated run time? if not a good choice for a battery, what lipo should i run? also the Mamba Max can only handle up to a 3 cell lipo, correct? im new to lipo, so on setting the Mamba max lipo cutoff on a 3 cell lipo i set it at 3 volts per cell?so a 3 cell cutoff would be set at 9 volts?
Thanks

Last edited by yotachump; 12-22-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #199
Quarry Creeper

hey jrh, i have a dx6 and a vtail mixer, is it better to use the v mixer or should i just use the dx6 mixer,? also how long will lipos hold a charge if unused for awhile?
thanks, and the lipo i got from you for the dx 6 fit perfect , thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
This thread is a good idea!!
So here's my question. I bought a Revolver 2 last year and I'm just now getting around to install it. The adapter it came with is shaped like an X, with the four inner holes the ones that match up to the motor. My problem is that I'm trying to put this into a pede tranny but the outer holes on the adapter don't match up. Do I just need to drill some new holes in the tranny or did I get the wrong motor adapter? It also came with a big red o-ring.
THanks in advance,
Tom
The + plate can be used as an offset mount like in this thread How to guide: Adapting speed 400 outrunners to 540 motor mounts

Otherwise you can get a machined motor mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
do you think the Vislero 2100 3s lipo battery that you sell would be a good choice for my super with the Scorpion 3032-10? Estimated run time? if not a good choice for a battery, what lipo should i run? also the Mamba Max can only handle up to a 3 cell lipo, correct? im new to lipo, so on setting the Mamba max lipo cutoff on a 3 cell lipo i set it at 3 volts per cell?so a 3 cell cutoff would be set at 9 volts?
Thanks
Unless the rig was light, I wouldn't use a 2100 pack by itself with the 3032 motor. I would either use two 2100 packs in parallel or stick to nimh. The MM takes 3 cell lipo, correct. The voltage cutoff would be 9v for a 3 cell pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2INDY View Post
hey jrh, i have a dx6 and a vtail mixer, is it better to use the v mixer or should i just use the dx6 mixer,? also how long will lipos hold a charge if unused for awhile?
thanks, and the lipo i got from you for the dx 6 fit perfect , thanks
You can use either, but I would use the internal mixer to get rid of some wiring on my vehicle. Lipos will hold a charge for 6 months or better in room temperature settings.

Glad you like the RX lipo, they are sweet.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM