Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #2081
Pebble Pounder

Default Holmes hobbies cobalt puller 454?

I really wanted one of the cobalt pullers but i noticed you stopped making them or selling them. So how does the 454 cobalt puller compare in wheelspeed and torque and what CHEAP set up will be the best for a wheely king that i am going to mod. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #2082
Quarry Creeper

Default hh 35t

i bought 2 of your 35t hh motors from tcs about 2 weeks ago ran first comp on them today and front motor fried and blew smoke they werent even hot.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #2083
Pebble Pounder

Hey John, have an issue. I installed your Torquemaster ESC and I lost rear drag brake. The motors will hold in 4wd but once I go to front dig my rear is basically in free wheel. Here is my set up...

Berg axles
Torquemaster ESC (with a CC BEC)
Punk dig
Torguemaster motors 30T

I did not have this issue when I had a Castle Mamba in the car. Any advice?
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #2084
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
Hey John, have an issue. I installed your Torquemaster ESC and I lost rear drag brake. The motors will hold in 4wd but once I go to front dig my rear is basically in free wheel. Here is my set up...

Berg axles
Punk dig
Torguemaster motors 30T

IMO, it sounds like the problem is going to be in the punk dig.
Try the drag brake on the front motor going down a hill backwards just to make sure. If you lost all drag brake, it could be the ESC. If its just the rear, then I would think its the dig switch or the motor.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #2085
Pebble Pounder

I was running a comp in calgary and three truck with holmes 35 s the timing cover had come lose messed up the timing and puffed smoke but the 40s didnt I put the timing back and ran second round missed first place by 3 points . can I locktite the little screws
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #2086
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe5.9 View Post
I was running a comp in calgary and three truck with holmes 35 s the timing cover had come lose messed up the timing and puffed smoke but the 40s didnt I put the timing back and ran second round missed first place by 3 points . can I locktite the little screws
What do you expect when you beat them on the rocks?

Yes, I use a "small" dot of blue locktite on my motor screws for the endbell. Dont use too much or you will strip the heads trying to get them loose.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #2087
Pebble Pounder

I understand that but that what happened to mine puffed smoke and wasnt hot thought I blew it up but it was just the timing was screwy because the end bell was lose and if you have a coating or protective sheet on motor you could miss it
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #2088
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Berg axles
Punk dig
Torguemaster motors 30T

Ok, I switched the motors on the Punk and yes, its the punk that is going out. The rear now drags and the front rolls through. The ESC is doing everything perfectly . Awesome ESC!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #2089
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
I understand that but that what happened to mine puffed smoke and wasnt hot thought I blew it up but it was just the timing was screwy because the end bell was lose and if you have a coating or protective sheet on motor you could miss it
You never said YOURS were the ones that puffed smoke. There is no telling what a motor will do when the timing is retarded or advanced enough. I have had this happen before (not HH's) but I knew it and stopped running. This is in no way the fault of a motor builder. Just need to check your screws more often.

(BTW, I do not work for JRH, just trying to help a few people out)

Quote:
Ok, I switched the motors on the Punk and yes, its the punk that is going out. The rear now drags and the front rolls through. The ESC is doing everything perfectly . Awesome ESC!
Good deal. I figured it was the dig unit going.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #2090
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Thanks for the help Rockcrawler! Much appreciated while I have been away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Metal Army View Post
And will be running 35T fantom blitz motors.Im currently shopping for a dig,any suggestions?Also is the single esc enough?
Thanks
I tend to make my own dig units or use two ESCs. Otherwise the punk dig seem to be very popular. One TorqueMaster ESC is enough for your motor (which is a great motor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
I just got my HH Torquemaster installed in my 2.2 shafty. When I program it to defaults I have no issues. However, when I turn on Holmes Hold it seems very glitchy and actually makes the motor turn backwards when I move the steering servo. Am I doing something wrong?

Here's my setup:
HH TM (duh)
Tekin 45 turn
Hitec 5955
Hitec 225 (dig)
1800 3s lipo
DX3R

I will try playing with the drag brake strength to see if it cuts out. Any input is greatly apprecited!
UPDATE: I put the drag brake on 50% and with Holmes Hold on it still acting up. As soon as I turn off the Hold everything is normal!
We went a little overboard with the hold strength. I would say keep turning it down until it stops glitching or just take off the hold. We are working on a fix for this, but the problem is that every motor is different and will like different amounts of hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg1rc View Post
John,

Quick question. I bought a BR-XL from you. I am running a TP 1350mah 30c 3 cell or a TP 850mah 45c 3 cell batt. "I have a castle link" Should I use the auto shut off option or should I use the custom option and change the cut off voltage to ???
How low of voltage should I go? I don't want to destroy the batteries. This is my 1st experience with lipo.

Thanks,
Neil
I typically use the Auto lipo cutoff. There is an error in an earlier version of firmware, so if you have the ability you will need to update the firmware to ensure proper low voltage cutoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeka View Post
I really wanted one of the cobalt pullers but i noticed you stopped making them or selling them. So how does the 454 cobalt puller compare in wheelspeed and torque and what CHEAP set up will be the best for a wheely king that i am going to mod. Thanks in advance
The 454s are smaller and have less torque, they also run hotter since they are small. If you want cheap, pick up some of the closed can motors from rc4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted bender View Post
i bought 2 of your 35t hh motors from tcs about 2 weeks ago ran first comp on them today and front motor fried and blew smoke they werent even hot.
Sounds like the timing may have changed on one of them. I can fix you up with an armature and brushes if needed.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #2091
Quarry Creeper

Default hh 35t

an armature and brushes would fix problem.i sent you a message describing what happened
Old 03-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #2092
Pebble Pounder

yes thats one Ill check now not blaming the builder love the motors but had us stumped
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #2093
Quarry Creeper

Hey Jon, I won a machine wound at crawlapalooza and was wondering what the turn count was. It's not on the bag or the motor itself.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #2094
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #2095

Quote:
Originally Posted by onespeeder View Post
Hey Jon, I won a machine wound at crawlapalooza and was wondering what the turn count was. It's not on the bag or the motor itself.
Machine wound, probably a 55t. I knew I forgot something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeka View Post
Thanks for the advice

No problems!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #2096
Official Cook of the ECC

Just want to say thanks for all you do for us John.

Just picked up a lightly used 7T Puller. It was running faster in rev than fwd though. Looked in here first, saw you send someone to your motor thread. Went there and was able to get my Puller timed properly and I am one happy camper. This thing is a beast.

Thanks again bud, now get back to work and get that degree.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #2097
Quarry Creeper

John,

i have a Cobalt 7T and was wondering if the Tekin FXR can handle this motor. Which esc can handle this motor? I am looking for something small. Thank you for your help
Old 04-06-2010, 07:24 AM   #2098

You will be just fine. Just about any ESC will handle them, they aren't too fast.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #2099
RCC Addict

Default 45t torque master problem

Hi, I just bought a 45t torque master (white can one) from a member here on rccrawler and was told it only has 3 comp runs on it. I put it into my ax10 and it is squealing a little bit in forward but not in reverse. Upon closer inspection I notice that it is coming from the brushes on the comm and not the bearings. I have tried putting a little sewing machine oil on the comm and that makes it silent for about 40 minutes or until the next battery pack. I have ordered some muchmore racing comm drops in hopes that that may fix it but I'm not too sure. Comm and brushes appear to be good but I am a newb when it comes to nice handwound motors so I'm not to sure what to do from here. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kurt
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #2100

You may have gotten some contamination on the brushes. The squeeling shouldn't hurt anything unless it is wearing into the comm. Try the comm drops, they should help.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM