Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #2141
Pebble Pounder

Default 7turn puller

I have a 7 turn puller motor that needs a rebuild. I read on here that you do this i dont have a motor lathe and the people i do know i dont trust with it. I figure it is in better hands with you. just wanted to give you a heads up and waiting on a response from you before i send it. I know how hard it is going to school full time and balancing a full time job at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #2142
Rock Crawler

Question Traxxas summit ESC change

I am getting a traxxas summit and I would like to upgrade it with the dual Revolver 700-HO Motor Conversion. I would like to run this with 2 3s lipo batterys in series. I see that your ESC will handle a 6S battery but will it handle the 2 700 motors?
Do you have any suggestions on any other setup you might thing it can be more powerfull than this without going brushless???

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #2143
RCC Addict

Im new to lipo and I just got a HH 1300 2s lipo and when i plug it in to my Hyperion EOSO6061 charger and start charging it, it starts at around 7.6 volts and continues to go up. The store mode also makes it go up. It seems my settings are right but im not positive
Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #2144
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder820 View Post
thanks john ill go ahead and order the revolver outrunners SHOULD I RUN GEAR REDUCTION UNITS ALSO AND WHAT RATIO IF SO wanted to also ask im running 2 hitech 7950 servos and they seem like they have no torqe im running a castle creations bec @7volts dont want to run any higher because im running a 2.4ghz airtronics m11 radio and reciever and it only suppose to run 6.6volts regulated WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD BE THE PROBLEM this thing does wiegh 20 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder820 View Post
was running 2 mamba max escs when the esc in the rear kept losing throttle position and i would have to reprogram it and when i ran 1 esc or 2 the rear motor had no power running them on 1 channel with a y cable could that be the problem
You should be fine with your current setup. I would run 6.6v on the regulator because of your receiver. Not sure what could cause those ESCs to lose throttle positions. Maybe a loose connection? Maybe you should update the firmware on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalhoun View Post
I have a 7 turn puller motor that needs a rebuild. I read on here that you do this i dont have a motor lathe and the people i do know i dont trust with it. I figure it is in better hands with you. just wanted to give you a heads up and waiting on a response from you before i send it. I know how hard it is going to school full time and balancing a full time job at the same time.
A rebuild is $10 plus parts assuming it is fixable.

John Holmes
716 W. Sexton rd.
Columbia, MO 65203

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
I am getting a traxxas summit and I would like to upgrade it with the dual Revolver 700-HO Motor Conversion. I would like to run this with 2 3s lipo batterys in series. I see that your ESC will handle a 6S battery but will it handle the 2 700 motors?
Do you have any suggestions on any other setup you might thing it can be more powerfull than this without going brushless???

Thanks
That would probably be a good way to go. I have never used the 700 motors so I don't know how fast you can push the vehicle. You may need two ESCs to handle the load safely.

Tell kershaw thanks for not using the Revolver name for a crawler product I guess he didn't remember our gentlemen's agreement about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Im new to lipo and I just got a HH 1300 2s lipo and when i plug it in to my Hyperion EOSO6061 charger and start charging it, it starts at around 7.6 volts and continues to go up. The store mode also makes it go up. It seems my settings are right but im not positive
The pack will peak at 8.4v. No worries! Storage should be right around 7.4 to 7.6v.

Last edited by badger; 06-21-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: address change
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #2145
Quarry Creeper

JRH,
I got a question about the set-up for my 1/6 jeep scale build. I wanted to run your br-xl esc, waterproofed of course, a 10t puller, r2 heavy duty trans & a 3 or 4 cell lipo. Since your puller motors are hard to come by, what do you suggest? I am using 3.2 size rubbers, wheelbase is right at 17" long & 10" wide & the rig really isn't that heavy.

I have a couple of your original handwounds, a 35t & a 45t and was thinkin of running the 45t with a basic r2. I wanted to get your input on this before I place an order for all the goodies that'll make it move. I would like to have some good wheelspeed without sacrificing torque & also somethin I can run through mud, rain, snow, sleet, hail, or whatever else I may encounter.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #2146

If it isn't that heavy, the 45t handwound on 4s would give you plenty of pep. If you will be thrashing the motor in water and mud, you should put a sleeve over it to keep the gunk out.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #2147
RCC Addict

when are the 33t Torqmaster minis gonna be in stock. I was gonna get one on my last order but they were out of stock. So i ran my new project on the stock motor and burnt it up its first day out. Now its just sitting
Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #2148

A few weeks, per the factory on Wednesday.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 AM   #2149
Rock Crawler

new setup:
HH BR-XL
Cobalt 14t

Will a 7 cell nimh elite 2/3A pack be enough to power this for any decent amount of time? Or should I be moving to a 3s-4s lipo? It will be going into an AX-10 based comp rig with dig. Airtronics MX-3FG is the radio just for some added info. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #2150

You won't have a lot of power or punch with those packs. I would suggest a 1300 3s lipo instead.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #2151
Rock Crawler

that's about what I figured. thanks for that!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #2152
Pebble Pounder

First, thanks for keeping up with this thread. You're definitely committed to your products!

I just bought a torquemaster br-xl esc for my ax10 with dig and 3s lipo. When I turn all the way in one direction, both servos and the throttle start "twitching". I adjusted my steering EPA down some and the problem went away. What does this sound like to you?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #2153

Sounds like the servo was hitting an endpoint and stalling out It wanted to go further, but the steering would not let it. When they stall out, all kinds of things can go wrong- from glitching to even losing signal. This could be a sign that the internal BEC is getting overloaded at that point as well, but it is not always the case. Running proper EPAs are key to long servo life especially.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #2154
Quarry Creeper

Default Castle Link Programming

When using Castle Link to program the Torquemaster BR/XL, which product should be selected in the software or does it auto-select?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #2155

It auto selects
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #2156
Rock Crawler

I installed the br-xl and the puller, still with the 7cell 2/3A ni-mh pack.

Thing has NO power (my sidewinder/novak 55t was faster and had more torque), super slow, will barely push the tires up a wall if i drive straight into it.

rig is geared 87/14. and has low gearing in the axles.

I think this battery pack may have been dying before the install, does this sound like just a complete lack of power from the battery?
I checked gear mesh and drivetrain binding... everything seems cool. Any suggestions? I think I may be heading to the LHS to get some lipos and a charger??
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #2157

Yep, that is your battery that is pooping out. Give a 1300 25c lipo or bigger a shot.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #2158
Rock Crawler

alright. I just wanted to make sure it didn't seem like something was up with the esc or motor. i've read that the 7t pullers get hot on 3s lipos, is it something to worry about? or will comp runs and like 20 minute practice sessions be a problem with it?

I just checked the two packs I have and they were both charged at 8.3 volts, but then when I ran them they gave maybe 30 seconds of sub-55t performance with this new setup. Just so I understand what's going on here with my limited circuits knowledge... This motor asks for 40 amps all the time, and the small nimh packs can't provide close to that, so it sucks all of their dying amperage out of them in seconds?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #2159

The 7t does get hot on 3s. It is ok for limited use, but you have to watch the heat carefully.

The issue with 2/3a cells is the internal resistance. When you ask too many amps, the voltage sags greatly. With no voltage you have no "pressure" to create a sizable amp draw. In general, you just can't get enough power from a 2/3a cell.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #2160
Rock Crawler

Would an external fan mounted somewhere around the motor help in any way? I suppose it would be best if it was run off a seperate power source all together even though I don't see how a small PC or similar fan could draw much current....?

Thanks for your always speedy replies!
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM