Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrK5 View Post
I'm looking at order the 25C 1300mah lipo battery for my MRC. I was curious if I order it with the Deans connector option will the order be delayed. I was planning to order today in hopes I could have them by the end of the week (7/23).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The order won't be delayed with the Deans installed. I just got back from Colorado, so I am a bit backed up with orders currently. I should be able to mail all out by tomorrow or wednesday morning however.
Thanks for answering my question. Finally ordered the battery today along with the basic Hyperion charger. Guess I wasn't in as big a hurry as I thought. Taking my first step into the LiPo world and I'm excited to try it out.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #2182
Rock Crawler

Hi, i have 2x hh 35t and 2x tekin fxr, futaba 4pk, tp 850 45c 3s..hyperion switching bec..
i noticed that rear motor start earlier then front one and when i dig and than i go 4wd the front motor has a delay to start..
front end i have vp wheels with 140 gramms, rear i have no weight in my wheels( same vp)
it could be this that cause this delay? more weight on front end?
how can i solve this problem?
thanks John..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #2183
Rock Crawler

hey jrh another question. just ordered another br-xl from you for my moa project this morning. I'll be running dual br-xls, and 2 brood 45t's, I also have a ccbec wired straight in to a hitec 7955tg servo. Two things, it's completely cool to have both escs plugged into (all wires), do I need to turn off one of their internal becs?

and, what's the recommended way to split the battery to each esc? I made a y-cable that is 2 wires soldered to each terminal of a male deans, to 2 seperate female deans.... sound good?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #2184
Rock Crawler

Hey I've got a 35T Torquemaster combo on the way. Just wondered if there is anything in particular I need to do before I install everything (i.e. break in the motor) or just plug in and run?
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #2185
Quarry Creeper

will the sensor harness on the Hyperion swift 13.5 work with my goat 3s?..
Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #2186

Default torquemaster bl help

Man, This has been a nightmare for my brother. He just built a crawler and I recommended the torquemaster bl from Holmes based on reviews - He bought it , stock gearing in a Venom, 3s with a hitec MG high torque servo and the esc not only didnt fire on one side of the fet board, but burned up a brand new servo as well. . Holmes confirmed the lower fets not firing and replaced it - Last night we hook it up and nothing, no audibles, no power - all lights lit up, green on throttle , red on brake, nothing on neutral - so the esc was seeming to work but no power. We then hooked up the motor directly to battery and power (so its not the motor) then rebound the esc and calibrated to radio, NOTHING - unplug the 3cell and plug in the two cell and voila we had power - Heres what I need help on - His servo is heating up?????????? and it seems that the 3-6 cell function wont work - my initial thoughts were lipo cutoff, but that would only make sense if we were going from higher voltage pack to lower (3 to 2) cell - Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this before with this esc - Any help would be appreciated
Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #2187
Rock Crawler

Can I send in my br-xl for you to look at? It is the one with the unusually high start-up. PM me with an address and any special instructions.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #2188
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I know I answered some of these already, and for some reason I didn't get a notice of thread update until now. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidetti_angelo View Post
Hi, i have 2x hh 35t and 2x tekin fxr, futaba 4pk, tp 850 45c 3s..hyperion switching bec..
i noticed that rear motor start earlier then front one and when i dig and than i go 4wd the front motor has a delay to start..
front end i have vp wheels with 140 gramms, rear i have no weight in my wheels( same vp)
it could be this that cause this delay? more weight on front end?
how can i solve this problem?
thanks John..
My guess would be either gearmesh, drivetrain binding, or a motor that was overshimmed. It could also be the radio and ESC throttle calibration. Check to be sure the motors have a bit of play in the shaft axially, in and out. Also try reprogramming the radio endpoints to the ESC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjdavid View Post
hey jrh another question. just ordered another br-xl from you for my moa project this morning. I'll be running dual br-xls, and 2 brood 45t's, I also have a ccbec wired straight in to a hitec 7955tg servo. Two things, it's completely cool to have both escs plugged into (all wires), do I need to turn off one of their internal becs?

and, what's the recommended way to split the battery to each esc? I made a y-cable that is 2 wires soldered to each terminal of a male deans, to 2 seperate female deans.... sound good?
1. If you are running an external BEC, you should not let it power with the ESCs internal BEC. Isolate them. You can let both ESC BECs be on the same rail in parallel, however. No need to disable them unless it would interfere with the external BEC.

2. Just a regular Y harness is what you need. I have one on my site that you can look at to make your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by version_three View Post
Hey I've got a 35T Torquemaster combo on the way. Just wondered if there is anything in particular I need to do before I install everything (i.e. break in the motor) or just plug in and run?
You will need to solder on motor wires and get your battery plug installed on the ESC. Otherwise ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquin View Post
will the sensor harness on the Hyperion swift 13.5 work with my goat 3s?..
Yep, standard stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergin View Post
Man, This has been a nightmare for my brother. He just built a crawler and I recommended the torquemaster bl from Holmes based on reviews - He bought it , stock gearing in a Venom, 3s with a hitec MG high torque servo and the esc not only didnt work on one side of the fet board, but burned up a brand new servo as well. . Holmes confirmed the lower fets not firing and replaced it - Last night we hook it up and nothing, no audibles, no power - all lights lit up, green on throttle , red on brake, nothing on neutral - so the esc was seeming to work but no power. We then hooked up the motor directly to battery and power (so its not the motor) then rebound the esc and calibrated to radio, NOTHING - unplug the 3cell and plug in the two cell and voila we had power - Heres what I need help on - His servo is heating up?????????? and it seems that the 3-6 cell function wont work - my initial thoughts were lipo cutoff, but that would only make sense if we were going from higher voltage pack to lower (3 to 2) cell - Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this before with this esc - Any help would be appreciated
That is a very strange issue. I remember recommending a firmware update, and this solved the issue. Email me if you are a different person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
Can I send in my br-xl for you to look at? It is the one with the unusually high start-up. PM me with an address and any special instructions.
Most definitely. Just send her with some details inside (issue and your contact info) to:

716 W. Sexton rd.
Columbia, MO 65203

Last edited by badger; 06-21-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: address change
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #2189

Exclamation No throttle at all / no Link either

JRH,

I bought this esc about a month ago and have been down due to my own stupidity for about 2 weeks, nothing to do with the esc. I broke some parts replacing parts on my crawler, anyway. The problem i ma having is there is No lights on the esc when it is coming on. It worked as of last night and today i took it out with a 3s 1500 turnigy and nothing but the steering worked. I tried to hook it up to the castle link and nothing worked. It recognized the link card but no esc. Usually the light on the esc lights up red when its linked, i got nothing. Any thoughts? I cant link it due to the none working link issue, i cant go forward or reverse at all but the steering works great. It was on auto lipo and i cant get it to do anything but steer even with a fully charged lipo. Here is a vid i made for your enjoyment. Help if ya can. Thanks

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znags9_eSD4

Crash

Just curious if theres any updates on this yet?.?

Last edited by CDR_Crash; 08-10-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: updates?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #2190
Rock Crawler

Default Motor question...

Hi JRH!
As a basis, heres where I'm at. I've got an AX10 set-up to crawl, bash, & rock-race with a Trinity Epic Chameleon Pro 19t motor, 14-tooth pinion, 87t spur, on 2s lipo.
- It crawls almost as well as I'd like, but I'm after just a little bit more low end control/finesse.
- Its not nearly as fast as I want it. Its at maybe 5-10 mph. I'm looking for more in the 15 mph range but without sacrificing solid crawlability.

A long motor like a puller won't fit because I'm running the Gatekeeper GC-3A chassis kit. But if thats the only way... Also, I have zero experience with handwounds. Based on what I've read, I'm guessing 20-25 turn handwound, like the Torquemaster Pro? Maybe up the pinion to a 16-18 tooth? Or maybe that wont crawl well?

I need a motor that is both the "Cave troll" and the "Pegasus" simultaneously. Please advise. Thanks.
JDuke

Last edited by J.DUKE; 08-12-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #2191
Pebble Pounder

do you have any brushes for the pro hand wound 35t
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #2192

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Crash View Post
JRH,

I bought this esc about a month ago and have been down due to my own stupidity for about 2 weeks, nothing to do with the esc. I broke some parts replacing parts on my crawler, anyway. The problem i ma having is there is No lights on the esc when it is coming on. It worked as of last night and today i took it out with a 3s 1500 turnigy and nothing but the steering worked. I tried to hook it up to the castle link and nothing worked. It recognized the link card but no esc. Usually the light on the esc lights up red when its linked, i got nothing. Any thoughts? I cant link it due to the none working link issue, i cant go forward or reverse at all but the steering works great. It was on auto lipo and i cant get it to do anything but steer even with a fully charged lipo. Here is a vid i made for your enjoyment. Help if ya can. Thanks

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znags9_eSD4

Crash

Just curious if theres any updates on this yet?.?
I do believe we have gotten this taken care of through email, if not, please send me one. Sounds like the voltage regulator inside may have given out. First one yet, your the winner !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduke31+6 View Post
Hi JRH!
As a basis, heres where I'm at. I've got an AX10 set-up to crawl, bash, & rock-race with a Trinity Epic Chameleon Pro 19t motor, 14-tooth pinion, 87t spur, on 2s lipo.
- It crawls almost as well as I'd like, but I'm after just a little bit more low end control/finesse.
- Its not nearly as fast as I want it. Its at maybe 5-10 mph. I'm looking for more in the 15 mph range but without sacrificing solid crawlability.

A long motor like a puller won't fit because I'm running the Gatekeeper GC-3A chassis kit. But if thats the only way... Also, I have zero experience with handwounds. Based on what I've read, I'm guessing 20-25 turn handwound, like the Torquemaster Pro? Maybe up the pinion to a 16-18 tooth? Or maybe that wont crawl well?

I need a motor that is both the "Cave troll" and the "Pegasus" simultaneously. Please advise. Thanks.
JDuke
Well, you are in a bit of catch 22. If you want more wheelspeed, you will always sacrifice some low speed control. The only time you may be able to have a bit more of both is if you gear down slower, then add more voltage to get the wheelspeed back. This would require an ESC that has great low speed control. You do not specify your ESC. What I would do (personally), is gear down as slow as possible, then bump up to 3s use and see how it drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ruggy View Post
do you have any brushes for the pro hand wound 35t
Indeed I do! http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=23&page=1
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #2193
Quarry Creeper

I have a 7T puller that blew out the end cap bearing. do you know what size it is and also do i need a special kind? thanks, Tim
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #2194

I don't actually know that! Let me see if I can pop one out here without damage. Did the bearing spit out the guts, or just fall out?
Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #2195
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I don't actually know that! Let me see if I can pop one out here without damage. Did the bearing spit out the guts, or just fall out?
it just spit all the balls out
Old 08-15-2010, 03:22 AM   #2196

[QUOTE=JohnRobHolmes;2586613]I do believe we have gotten this taken care of through email, if not, please send me one. Sounds like the voltage regulator inside may have given out. First one yet, your the winner !

Yes we have, and thank you for your help. Oo I WIN!!! ... ummm what DO i win?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #2197
Rock Crawler

John,
I had the problem with the heatsink missing from the Sidewinder in my Honcho. I got another heatsink through one of our members but I can't find any small quantities of thermally conductive epoxy to reattach it. I searched your site as well as a number of our other vendors and I find heat transfer compound but nothing with holding power. Any suggestions?

I also found the blem BR-XL's on your site. It sounds pretty straightforward as to the flaws. I don't run my Bully when it's wet out so one of the blems should work, correct?

Thank you for your time,
John
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #2198

You won't find any vendors with it, unfortunately. Here is a good bet http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-.../dp/B00021LJ9I Or of course you could send it to Castle and wait...

The blems would work fine for you. It is a normal ESC, but I screwed up the waterproofing job and the ESC sits crooked or has air bubbles in the epoxy. Super low price, no warranty. We can pretend it is "used".
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #2199
Quarry Creeper

were you able to find a size or a bearing for the 7T puller i have? i got the old one out and tryed to match it up but no luck.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #2200
Quarry Creeper

Hey john,

I had a bit of a mishap with my truck and ended up burning one of the receiver wires to the esc, and had to re-solder a new lead on. Today when I was out running, it quit on me. I did plasti-dip the entire esc minus the heatsink(I should have just bought the waterproof version, but I'm an idiot). I pulled all the plasti dip off and the led's are flashing, but no start-up noise. It is enabled...I also updated the esc with no problems. I tried to re-calibrate it but it is either already calibrated or won't let me. Can I reset it somehow? I do have servo, just no forward and reverse. Thinking it might be pooched, you may have some business coming your way lol. Thanks,

-Matt

For anyone that ends up with this issue, CHECK YOUR MOTOR. ESC is fine just a bum torquemaster motor for some reason, tryin to clean it up right now.

Last edited by Slowkrawl; 08-22-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM