Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #221
Quarry Creeper

i have a deans plug that lets me run 2 matched mah pacs in series , can i use lipo instead of my stick packs? thanks for all the info
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #222
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2INDY View Post
i have a deans plug that lets me run 2 matched mah pacs in series , can i use lipo instead of my stick packs? thanks for all the info
Yes, as long as you have an ESC that supports lipo packs. Also, make sure the packs are the same type and age as well as both equally charged.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #223
Quarry Creeper

Default Cobalt 5T, MM and 3cell lipo... holy crap, batman!!!

just got the ax-10 put together, dropped in the cobalt 5T, and made a few laps around the living room. talk about some serious power!!! picked it up to see how things were holding up and noticed things smelled a tad warm. temped the can at 195 and the comm at 214! JRH, is this normal?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 PM   #224
Landy mad

Default esc interference with castle bec unit

I'm trying to run one of the Castle BEC's with my Mtroniks Viper SSR speed control and get extreme interference.

I have noticed that the slow speed control is nowhere near as smooth as when running the ESC's BEC.

I also suffer from the steering servo glitching like mad.

If I run it through a Tekin Rebel 2 I do not have these issues.

It makes no difference if I run on 7.2 or 9.6V. The motor turns also make no difference.

I want to run the SSR's as they have zero reverse delay and give 100% reverse as well as forwards power.

Any idea what the problem could be
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 AM   #225
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaz View Post
I'm trying to run one of the Castle BEC's with my Mtroniks Viper SSR speed control and get extreme interference.

I have noticed that the slow speed control is nowhere near as smooth as when running the ESC's BEC.

It makes no difference if I run on 7.2 or 9.6V. The motor turns also make no difference.

I want to run the SSR's as they have zero reverse delay and give 100% reverse as well as forwards power.

Yeah!!! Your not using the Mamba Max ESC!!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
just got the ax-10 put together, dropped in the cobalt 5T, and made a few laps around the living room. talk about some serious power!!! picked it up to see how things were holding up and noticed things smelled a tad warm. temped the can at 195 and the comm at 214! JRH, is this normal?
That is warm. How long were you running it around? The 5t heats up pretty quick with full throttle use, that is why I just use it during comps on 3s lipo. You might also mess with the timing to make sure it isn't retarded, I set them at zero but sometimes they move a bit. Be sure your drivetrain spins freely too. Take the pinion off and spin everything.

Quote:

You didn't say what radio you were using. My guess is that your radio doesn't like the BEC. You can either isolate the BEC power to the servo, try a ferrite ring around the BEC RX lead, or try moving your antenna and RX away from the other electronics.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #227
Landy mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You didn't say what radio you were using. My guess is that your radio doesn't like the BEC. You can either isolate the BEC power to the servo, try a ferrite ring around the BEC RX lead, or try moving your antenna and RX away from the other electronics.
I'm using a Futaba Skysport set to 40mhz (land frequency in the UK)

I'm confused about it being the radio as I mentioned I do not have the problems with the Tekin Rebel 2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #228
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That is warm. How long were you running it around? The 5t heats up pretty quick with full throttle use, that is why I just use it during comps on 3s lipo. You might also mess with the timing to make sure it isn't retarded, I set them at zero but sometimes they move a bit. Be sure your drivetrain spins freely too. Take the pinion off and spin everything.
About 10 mins total, mostly crawling up the couch, a few 3 second full throttle bursts across the floor. Verified the MM timing at 0 deg. Pulled the pinion, drivetrain is butter. I'll run it some more and see if the temps improve with break-in. Might have to pick up a 10T for between comps. These motors are the shiznit!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #229

Quote:
I'm using a Futaba Skysport set to 40mhz (land frequency in the UK)

I'm confused about it being the radio as I mentioned I do not have the problems with the Tekin Rebel 2.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Although Castle did test it to make sure 40mhz didn't have interference from the CC BEC, your radio just might not like the frequencies emitted by the CC BEC. Since it is a digital BEC, it throws out extra radio frequencies that may jam up some radios. Linear BEC circuits just burn off extra voltage as heat, which is the type of BEC your TR2 has inside. Linear BECs don't throw off any radio interference, but they don't work with high voltage inputs either.

Try moving the RX away from everything, or try isolating the BEC to only the servo with a Y harness that only passes the signal wire from RX to servo. What voltage do you have the CC BEC set to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
About 10 mins total, mostly crawling up the couch, a few 3 second full throttle bursts across the floor. Verified the MM timing at 0 deg. Pulled the pinion, drivetrain is butter. I'll run it some more and see if the temps improve with break-in. Might have to pick up a 10T for between comps. These motors are the shiznit!!!
That sounds normal then. Just make sure that the brushes are seated and not hanging up. You could also just run the motor on a 6-8 cell nimh pack for bashing around. Even on just 7 sub C cells, the 5t will heat up if it is given full throttle a few times and allowed to spool up. It is a hot motor by nature. Glad you like it
Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #230
ghetto fabulous newbie

how many volts is the scorpion 3032-8 rated for?
Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #231

3s lipo for hard bashing use, and 4s lipo for comp style crawling with limited bursts.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #232

Hey John, looking to order some stuff (international). Looks like your PM inbox is full.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #233
RCC Addict

John, Do you have the saddle packs and Axial trannies in stock? Just need to know before I order. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Hey John, looking to order some stuff (international). Looks like your PM inbox is full.
I hope to have the PM box clear by the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
John, Do you have the saddle packs and Axial trannies in stock? Just need to know before I order. Thanks.

If it is in stock on my site, I have them in stock. I know I have 6 and 8 cell saddles and I am looking at an axial tranny in stock.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #235
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
I hope to have the PM box clear by the evening.

If it is in stock on my site, I have them in stock. I know I have 6 and 8 cell saddles and I am looking at an axial tranny in stock.
I just placed my order and was wondering if I could get a tamiya plug on the saddle pack. Thanks Jeff
Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #236

Quote:
I just placed my order and was wondering if I could get a tamiya plug on the saddle pack. Thanks Jeff
They are built with deans plugs. I do have tamiya to deans adapters, but no raw tamiya adapters to fit on.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM   #237
Rock Crawler

Hey john, i have the
Hyperion 0606i that i purchased from you, It doesn't have any instructions but is pretty easy to use. When i charged my 3cell 2100 lipo it just automatically charged it at 2.1amps. i didn't see where i was able to change it, i'm new to lipos, i just let it charge like that and it charged in a half hour. just wanna make sure this is ok and i assume that the charger automatically sets the amps for the battery pack being charged.?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmhero View Post
Hey john, i have the
Hyperion 0606i that i purchased from you, It doesn't have any instructions but is pretty easy to use. When i charged my 3cell 2100 lipo it just automatically charged it at 2.1amps. i didn't see where i was able to change it, i'm new to lipos, i just let it charge like that and it charged in a half hour. just wanna make sure this is ok and i assume that the charger automatically sets the amps for the battery pack being charged.?

Yes, with a lipo it will automatically determine the charge rate. If you set it for 2100 mah it will charge at 2.1 amps max, and then taper off at the end with a constant voltage charge.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #239
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes, with a lipo it will automatically determine the charge rate. If you set it for 2100 mah it will charge at 2.1 amps max, and then taper off at the end with a constant voltage charge.
Ok cool thx. i think it might have even selected 2100 automatically to.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #240
Rock Crawler

John. I ran a veselro 2100 3s lipo tonight in my basher that has the mamba max esc and 4600 motor and when I took the battery out I noticed that it expanded and was pretty hot. Is there anything wrong with this? It was also like 20 degrees outside if that has anything to do with it.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM