Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #321
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I am working on finding some Castle links. Castle is out, my supplier is out, I am ringing the bottom of the barrel trying to find some ATM. The sidewinders will need them.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #322
Rock Stacker

Severe newb questions, but I want to get my order right.

I have an E-maxx and I'm running the EVX at 14.4V and both stock Titan motors. Everything is stock for the connections, plugs, etc. I'm also using the stock RX.

I want to to order a CC BEC @ 6.0V now that I've picked a higher torque servo for the front and I've added a high torque servo for rear steer.

Connector option: Should I choose a Deans?

What other bits and bobs do I need to get this wired up to my batteries/ESC/Rx? I assume I'll need to splice in a connector from the battery/esc. I hate placing multiple orders because I missed out getting one small piece.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #323

If you use a deans plug, you will need to convert all of your batteries, ESC's, and chargers to deans as well. The other option is to solder it onto the power wires of your ESC, just tap right behind the battery plug.

The BEC can just plug into an extra channel on your RX, or you can use a Y harness to route power direct to the servo and RX at the same time. There isn't anything else needed.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #324
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If you use a deans plug, you will need to convert all of your batteries, ESC's, and chargers to deans as well. The other option is to solder it onto the power wires of your ESC, just tap right behind the battery plug.

The BEC can just plug into an extra channel on your RX, or you can use a Y harness to route power direct to the servo and RX at the same time. There isn't anything else needed.
Thanks. I'll go the solder route. I'm overthinking this. . .
Old 01-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #325
Rock Stacker

Hey John,
Are there any brushless ESC's out there that can run two motors, like the Novak Rooster?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #326

Not that I am aware of. You will need two motor controllers for two brushless motors.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #327
Rock Stacker

That's what I have. I actually bought a pair of Hyperion z3013's and Mamba 25's from you early last year. Due to various reasons I hads to step away for awhile. I was just curious if anything new had come along since then.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #328
Quarry Creeper

Any idea on stock updates for the 10t colbalt puller and a Mamba Max?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #329
Quarry Creeper

Any word on when the site will have a sidewinder, CCBEC, and puller motor combo? Also any word on restock of the Castle Link?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by glondark View Post
Any idea on stock updates for the 10t colbalt puller and a Mamba Max?
The cobalt puller has been delayed a bit, as my inventory is tied up in sidewinders. I got some MM in today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badltl510 View Post
Any word on when the site will have a sidewinder, CCBEC, and puller motor combo? Also any word on restock of the Castle Link?
I just need to create the combo, I will do that in the next day.

Castle links are on the way, probably tomorrow or friday.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #331
I wanna be Dave

John, I have some non-crawler electronics questions for you. As you probably know, your PM box is full again.

On my e-revo, I have the following setup:

schulze 18.97kw
li-saver (since the schulze doesn't have a low voltage cutoff)
TrueRC 5000mAh 18.5 5s1p pack
Feigao 8xl purple can motor

It works just fine with out the lipo cutoff. It wheelies uncontrollably, but when I plug it in it saps all the speed and if I punch it, it starts cogging, like it is kicking in the voltage cutoff. If I slowly build up the speed, it will get to speed and not cog.

Is the problem that this battery just isn't powerful enough to give it the amps it needs or is that cutoff circuit just too touchy for that esc?

Are there any other escs out there that will handle the 5s? I was looking at the MGM Compro 160amp in specific. I'm thinking I'm going to have the same problem with that one if it is the battery that just doesn't have enough power. Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #332
Pebble Pounder

Ultimate 2.2 Comp Combo **on Sale** #181 when you gonna get more in ?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #333
Moderator Rule Breaker

John, I plan ordering 2100 lipo on your site and the LBA 10 Balancing Aadapter Thunder Power/ Flightpower, Do I need anything else to get the balancer to work with my ice charger as far going from the charger to balancer?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #334
Quarry Creeper

PM Box is full so I will post it here. I'm sure everyone can benefit from his answers.

I'm currently running a wheelie king with a full crawler conversion, and I'm looking to get an Axial.

I know a few things for sure. The axles will be Axial, the chassis is going to be either Benders or the Blackjack, transmission will be R2D with the dig and I know I want brushless/lipo combo.

What do you recommend for the electronics?

Speed controller:
Motor:
Voltage reg:
Battery:
Servo's:

I'm trying to get as many parts from 1 vendor as possible, so I can keep track of everything better as I build my comp crawler.

Thanks for the help man!
Chris
Old 01-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #335

Hey John,
Parcel arrived yesterday. Everything looks great, thanks for the stickers. Amusingly it arrived in Canada on the night of the 11th. It just took THAT long to get through customs.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #336

Hey JRH,

Building my first rock crawler rig, I'm going super class / hustler. I,m wondering if the crawlmaster/ mamba max combo is a good motor and esc to run for the build? I going 4whl steering for sure. I,m also not sure about what battery to run with the combo also? First time on the thread, really glad to find the help. THANKS
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
John, I have some non-crawler electronics questions for you. As you probably know, your PM box is full again.

On my e-revo, I have the following setup:

schulze 18.97kw
li-saver (since the schulze doesn't have a low voltage cutoff)
TrueRC 5000mAh 18.5 5s1p pack
Feigao 8xl purple can motor

It works just fine with out the lipo cutoff. It wheelies uncontrollably, but when I plug it in it saps all the speed and if I punch it, it starts cogging, like it is kicking in the voltage cutoff. If I slowly build up the speed, it will get to speed and not cog.

Is the problem that this battery just isn't powerful enough to give it the amps it needs or is that cutoff circuit just too touchy for that esc?

Are there any other escs out there that will handle the 5s? I was looking at the MGM Compro 160amp in specific. I'm thinking I'm going to have the same problem with that one if it is the battery that just doesn't have enough power. Any suggestions?
That really does sound like the battery. I know you don't have a data logger, but that would be the best way to diagnose unless you have other big packs to test with. Those are good old ESC's when they work right. I had a few shulze's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawldog View Post
Ultimate 2.2 Comp Combo **on Sale** #181 when you gonna get more in ?
Reloading inventory now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
John, I plan ordering 2100 lipo on your site and the LBA 10 Balancing Aadapter Thunder Power/ Flightpower, Do I need anything else to get the balancer to work with my ice charger as far going from the charger to balancer?
Nope, the vislero plugs right into the balancer with an included harness. You can check out the pic at the bottom of this page: http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glondark View Post
PM Box is full so I will post it here. I'm sure everyone can benefit from his answers.

I'm currently running a wheelie king with a full crawler conversion, and I'm looking to get an Axial.

I know a few things for sure. The axles will be Axial, the chassis is going to be either Benders or the Blackjack, transmission will be R2D with the dig and I know I want brushless/lipo combo.

What do you recommend for the electronics?

Speed controller:
Motor:
Voltage reg:
Battery:
Servo's:

I'm trying to get as many parts from 1 vendor as possible, so I can keep track of everything better as I build my comp crawler.

Thanks for the help man!
Chris
You need a budget before you talk to me

Speed controller: Sidewinder
Motor: 55t, revolver, or crawlmaster
Voltage reg: CC BEC
Battery: 8 cell 1500 saddle or 3 cell 1300 lipo (or bigger)
Servo's: hitec 5995 or 5955. lowballer choice is 645mg or waypoint 1630MG (good for dig too with a spring on the engage side)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
Hey John,
Parcel arrived yesterday. Everything looks great, thanks for the stickers. Amusingly it arrived in Canada on the night of the 11th. It just took THAT long to get through customs.

Thanks
Dang, that is a while! Hope you enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM CONCHO View Post
Hey JRH,

Building my first rock crawler rig, I'm going super class / hustler. I,m wondering if the crawlmaster/ mamba max combo is a good motor and esc to run for the build? I going 4whl steering for sure. I,m also not sure about what battery to run with the combo also? First time on the thread, really glad to find the help. THANKS
I would say that the combo would work very good, especially on a higher voltage with 6 or 7 tooth pinions. Depending on your terrain, you might choose brushed motors for comp use as sensorless brushless isn't smooth in a hard bind. As for the battery, you have many choices. A 2100 3 cell lipo would be good, as well as 8-10 cell nimh.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #338
[HOONIGAN]

Can the mamba maxx handle a 4 cell E-Moli Li-Ion battery?
They're the cells out of the Milwaukee V28 packs (same type of cells as the a123's), but they are 4.0 volt cells and 2800mah.

Also, can the 5idp ac/dc properly charge it if I set it to a123 16.5v pack mode?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #339

4s emoli would be pushing it pretty hard. A high turn motor like a 55 or 65t lathe would be a safe bet if any will work. You will certainly need an external BEC.

16.5v a123 should give a good charge to the emoli. I don't know the particulars of cutoff, but I know they are pretty stout cells like the a123.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 AM   #340
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
4s emoli would be pushing it pretty hard. A high turn motor like a 55 or 65t lathe would be a safe bet if any will work. You will certainly need an external BEC.

16.5v a123 should give a good charge to the emoli. I don't know the particulars of cutoff, but I know they are pretty stout cells like the a123.
Good to know, thanks John. I would be running it on a 35t lathe in a scaler, so it's probably not a good idea.

What about 4 cell a123's? I would like to run them on my scaler (35t) and my super (2x 55t's).

How about charging a 3 cell emoli on the 5i? It's kinda right in between the a123 options.

Also, cc bec will be run on everything.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM