Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #3421

Default Re: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

My wraith just quit running the other day when I was messing with it and now my brxl won't arm. I try to reprogram it but won't even get a beep out of it. I've ran it twice before this happened so its brand new. The motor is a torque master if that matters. Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #3422
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Send an email to warranty@ my website about it and we will get it sorted out!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #3423
Quarry Creeper

First off, I know..... I need a BEC, LOL.

BUT

I wanted to know if you thought that the BEC in a BR-XL would be OK for a BLS452?

I just ordered one for a CC01 I picked up. It is just under 200oz so I was thinking it might work fine off the BR-XL to simplify things.

thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #3424

Should be just fine, typically we see the internal BEC start to fade around 300 ounce/ inch servos.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #3425
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Should be just fine, typically we see the internal BEC start to fade around 300 ounce/ inch servos.
So,with the BR-XL an external bec really isn't needed until you're running a servo higher than 300oz?

If you are using a en external CC BEC (spliced in between the battery and the ESC, and using the RX Bypass adapter) can you still power accessories off the Rx safely?

I'll be running both 2s and 3s batteries.

Thanks for the clarification. Wiring this up tonight after we get the boys down then hopefully breaking the cherry on this build.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #3426

Correct. Some servos are less efficient and may cause brownouts, while some servos that are stronger can still work fine. A lot has to do with the driver and terrain as well. 300 ounce inch as the break point is the easiest recommendation I can make. If you are not powering the servo, then using the internal BEC for accessories is typically no issue unless it is a crazy winch.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #3427
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If you are not powering the servo, then using the internal BEC for accessories is typically no issue unless it is a crazy winch.
I assume you mean that "if you are not powering the servo via the rx, then using the internal BEC for accessories is typically no issue unless it is a crazy winch.

Thank you so much for the support John. I'm sitting down to finalize the wiring and wrap up the build.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #3428
Rock Crawler

Sorry John, one other question. Is adding 2-4 inches to the ESC/Battery cables really a bad idea? I'd like to have the connection at a location where I can disconnect it without it being a pita.

I'm running all of the electronics in the stock locations for now, and is rather not have wires coming into the interior.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #3429

That won't be a problem in a crawler, amp draw is really low. If it was a puller that was pulling 100s of amps I would not recommend it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #3430
Rock Crawler

Thank you!! Sorry for all the questions. I don't wanna fry these electronics you made for me. As I'm sure you're already aware, you are the man!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #3431
Rock Crawler

Hi John - I've got a TorqueMaster 540 that I think is 35 turn. I'm assembling a 2.2 Sporty/Shafty rig on a Fastback chassis. Can I use this motor with this setup? I was told to get a MicroMambo or FXR ESC & Castle BEC to run this motor with a 3S system. Is that a good combo for that motor? I also have a HiTec HS-7954SH servo laying around that might work or does it not have enough torque to run the steering? I'm trying to just get the rig up and running and then I'll tweak it for performance and upgrades later...

Last edited by Fumbles; 12-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #3432

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors View Post
Hi John - I've got a TorqueMaster 540 that I think is 35 turn. I'm assembling a 2.2 Sporty/Shafty rig on a Fastback chassis. Can I use this motor with this setup? I was told to get a MicroMambo or FXR ESC & Castle BEC to run this motor with a 3S system. Is that a good combo for that motor? I also have a HiTec HS-7954SH servo laying around that might work or does it not have enough torque to run the steering? I'm trying to just get the rig up and running and then I'll tweak it for performance and upgrades later...

Sounds like a great setup to me. Whether or not the servo is up to task depends on your terrain and how you drive, just make sure you use the BEC. Its pretty dang strong!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #3433
Quarry Creeper

hi john,
hope you are ready for the holidays!!! i am looking into getting a redcat rs10 "crawler" (i know they are not the best crawler.....) anyways i was wondering if you "make" any "390" size motors that could be used in the rs10?
i have gathered that there are motor kits to make the redcat a "540" size compatable rig, but i was hoping that the "upgrades" available would be good enough?
also if you don't make a compatable motor would you recommend a maker? i have seen some stuff from "banebots" (?) but do not know much at all about them...

any information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #3434

hello,
I have an ax10 rtr with an ae-2 esc. I installed a castle bec and cut the red wire to the esc. I also switched to deans connectors instead of the tamiya that were stock. I only have throttle in one direction. How do I diagnose this problem?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #3435
Rock Crawler

Hey John my BR-XL isn't arming, and I can't get it to calibrate. The LEDs are showing green with forward and red with reverse. I know it's not calibrated as red is blinking in reverse. It ran fine for about 5 packs, and then it started to cut out When i'd let off the throttle.

I thought it might be my tx/rx but got a new one for Christmas and still can't get it to arm.

I read through and searched, seems a reset via a castle link is recommended.

Is there a hard reset I can do without the castle link?

I love this set up. It's an absolute beast.

Thanks bud.

Merry Christmas!!

Hit me up after the holidays. Enjoy the time with your family.

Last edited by BadWagon; 12-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc dreemer View Post
hi john,
hope you are ready for the holidays!!! i am looking into getting a redcat rs10 "crawler" (i know they are not the best crawler.....) anyways i was wondering if you "make" any "390" size motors that could be used in the rs10?
i have gathered that there are motor kits to make the redcat a "540" size compatable rig, but i was hoping that the "upgrades" available would be good enough?
also if you don't make a compatable motor would you recommend a maker? i have seen some stuff from "banebots" (?) but do not know much at all about them...

any information would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!!
At this time the only motors we have that bolt in are the Cobalt 454 motors. I found a few cans here we could build em up from. Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Discontinued motors :: Cobalt Puller 454

Otherwise a banebot motor is a good choice for a low cost solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockheap View Post
hello,
I have an ax10 rtr with an ae-2 esc. I installed a castle bec and cut the red wire to the esc. I also switched to deans connectors instead of the tamiya that were stock. I only have throttle in one direction. How do I diagnose this problem?
See if you are getting the red light when you hit reverse. Try reprogramming and reflashing your ESC with castle link. If none of that works you may have a bad FET driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Hey John my BR-XL isn't arming, and I can't get it to calibrate. The LEDs are showing green with forward and red with reverse. I know it's not calibrated as red is blinking in reverse. It ran fine for about 5 packs, and then it started to cut out When i'd let off the throttle.

I thought it might be my tx/rx but got a new one for Christmas and still can't get it to arm.

I read through and searched, seems a reset via a castle link is recommended.

Is there a hard reset I can do without the castle link?

I love this set up. It's an absolute beast.

Thanks bud.

Merry Christmas!!

Hit me up after the holidays. Enjoy the time with your family.
A castle link reset is the only way to reset it. I'm sure you tried, but did you adjust your neutral trim until all the lights went out? It won't arm with any leds (throttle or reverse input) turned on.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #3437
Rock Crawler

Yep. I've got no LEDs unless I hit the throttle. I got a castle link for Christmas, I didn't bring a PC down with me so ill have to wait until I get home to reset it.

Will the castle link auto detect the esc as a BR-XL? Thanks John. Merry Christmas. Quit working, go play.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3438

Yes it will auto detect the ESC in Castle link.

I got to play enough, need to work today and get email and motor builds caught up!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #3439

I will try reflashing it. Right now I get a red light when I try to go forward, but it goes backwards. If I have a bad fet driver can I fix it or so I replace it. If I replace it should I stick with the ae2 or is there something more reliable.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #3440

Can't really fix SMD parts without very special tools. You will need to replace it. The AE2 is a good ESC, you could keep the same model with no worry.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM