Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #3441

I purchased your 27t rock racing combo. I'm wondering do I need a BEC also I will probably run 2 or 3s lipo and I have a 440oz servo. Also what gearing would you recommend to get the best life out of the motor. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #3442
Rock Crawler

Default Re: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
Hey John my BR-XL isn't arming, and I can't get it to calibrate. The LEDs are showing green with forward and red with reverse. I know it's not calibrated as red is blinking in reverse. It ran fine for about 5 packs, and then it started to cut out When i'd let off the throttle.

I thought it might be my tx/rx but got a new one for Christmas and still can't get it to arm.

I read through and searched, seems a reset via a castle link is recommended.

Is there a hard reset I can do without the castle link?

I love this set up. It's an absolute beast.

Thanks bud.

Merry Christmas!!

Hit me up after the holidays. Enjoy the time with your family.

I thought I should post up the solution for the issue I had (listed in the quote above).

I reset the ESC via castle link and still wasn't getting any 'beeps' or movement from the motor. I watched the lights on the ESC closely and realized they were operating properly. Realizing the motor is the speaker for the ESC I took the next logical step...

So, I tested the motor via a battery and no luck there. so I tested an old Tamiya 540 and bingo. I was going to simply swap in the old 540 motor for some crawling the next day, but decided to inspect the 13T CM. One of the brushes had gotten itself too far into the motor. I simply cleaned the motor out, put the brush in the right place and reinstalled the spring.

Bingo.

Ran 6 hard packs through it, no issues.

Just goes to show, it's normally the simple stuff that goes wrong and is an easy fix.

Thanks for the customer service and support JRH.

Cheers,
Burleson
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #3443
Rock Stacker

I have your brxl and cm 13t in my wraith 3 battery's through them. 2 days ago I was running it the battery got low so I put in a new one and lost throttle. I still have steering all connections are good. What should I do?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #3444
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterror View Post
I have your brxl and cm 13t in my wraith 3 battery's through them. 2 days ago I was running it the battery got low so I put in a new one and lost throttle. I still have steering all connections are good. What should I do?

I'd start with cleaning your motor. Sounds like the issues I had, can you see the lights of the esc?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #3445
Rock Stacker

Really? I've only put like 3 packs through it, my scx10 has a tm in it and I've put that thing through hell and never cleaned the motor.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #3446
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dslzuk91 View Post
I purchased your 27t rock racing combo. I'm wondering do I need a BEC also I will probably run 2 or 3s lipo and I have a 440oz servo. Also what gearing would you recommend to get the best life out of the motor. Thanks
Sounds like you will need an external BEC.

Gear it as slow as possible for best motor life!

Quote:
Quote:
Really? I've only put like 3 packs through it, my scx10 has a tm in it and I've put that thing through hell and never cleaned the motor.
It certainly could be a dirty motor. Sometimes they take dirt for a while, sometimes just the right stuff gets in there and motors stop working. Are you getting arming tones from the motor? If you push start it does it work?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #3447
Rock Crawler

Hi John, I have some questions for you and have emailed you a couple times from your web site.

I would like to buy some motors ASAP but really want to ask some questions 1st.

Thank you for your time and I hope you had a great New Years.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #3448

I'm catching up on the emails coming from my site this afternoon after I get my oven going. I'll look for yours!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #3449
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'm catching up on the emails coming from my site this afternoon after I get my oven going. I'll look for yours!
Thanks for the fast Response to my emails I did send you a return email with more questions.

Thank you!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #3450
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I only had a few packs through mine and it started acting up, I think the brush just got knocked loose and proceeded to get worse. I've had 'hop up' 540s (lemans motors) in my old Tamiya buggies which would do the same thing. Just clean them or look at the brushes. sometimes they wiggle out of the proper position.

I haven't had any issues since (I've run about 8 packs through it) but I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure.

Good luck bud.

Last edited by BadWagon; 01-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #3451
Rock Stacker

Ok thanks I'll look into it and report my findings, oh and I'm very happy with this setup by the way very smooth with lots of power.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #3452
Pebble Pounder

Awhile back i purchased what was supposed to be lightly used waterproof brxl. I just got to putting this thing in a new project of mine and it has an issue. I have to run my throttle trim dang near all the way forward for it to arm. If I turn off my remote before plugging the esc the car just takes off at full throttle. I put in another brxl and everything works perfectly. Is this something i can send in to get fixed or is there something i can do to fix it? or did i get screwed on this thing?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #3453
Quarry Creeper

Hallo John!

I would like to ask for your suggestion for a motor I want to use on my Wraith.
the use is for trailing and crawling mainly but I would like to have some wheel speed to overcome difficult obstacles when needed and also be help uphill..

As for the suggestions from Harley I am looking at the Crawlmaster PRO (maybe the 13T or even the 16T) vs. the TorqueMaster Pro (maybe 35T?)

currently I use 87T spur and 16 or 18T pinion depending on the track condition with a 55T motor brushed (I think it is roughly a 1100 Kv) on 3S.
I have the feeling I need a little bit more speed with this setup but If I gear up then I loose torque

I was thinking installing a quicker motor and gearing down maybe to 87/14 or 16 (depending on the motor)

Now, my question is, what would you recommend for my application between the Crawlmaster PRO & TorqueMaster Pro? and what turns num.?
If it comes to TorqueMaster I would not go below the 35T and for the Crawlmaster I have no idea as I have no experience with your motors...

What is the main difference between the 2 mentioned motors? which one is more "flexible" in terms of usage and versatility? (keeping in mind my Wraith is not a go fast track but I do not want it to be "boring"...

Many thanks in advance for your kind reply
Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator1 View Post
Awhile back i purchased what was supposed to be lightly used waterproof brxl. I just got to putting this thing in a new project of mine and it has an issue. I have to run my throttle trim dang near all the way forward for it to arm. If I turn off my remote before plugging the esc the car just takes off at full throttle. I put in another brxl and everything works perfectly. Is this something i can send in to get fixed or is there something i can do to fix it? or did i get screwed on this thing?
Have you reset the throttle points on the ESC? If it doesn't arm the same as your other unit, that is the problem. The full throttle when you turn off your radio is a RX issue, the ESC only does what the RX tells it to. If there is no RX signal it won't do anything but beep fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
Hallo John!

I would like to ask for your suggestion for a motor I want to use on my Wraith.
the use is for trailing and crawling mainly but I would like to have some wheel speed to overcome difficult obstacles when needed and also be help uphill..

As for the suggestions from Harley I am looking at the Crawlmaster PRO (maybe the 13T or even the 16T) vs. the TorqueMaster Pro (maybe 35T?)

currently I use 87T spur and 16 or 18T pinion depending on the track condition with a 55T motor brushed (I think it is roughly a 1100 Kv) on 3S.
I have the feeling I need a little bit more speed with this setup but If I gear up then I loose torque

I was thinking installing a quicker motor and gearing down maybe to 87/14 or 16 (depending on the motor)

Now, my question is, what would you recommend for my application between the Crawlmaster PRO & TorqueMaster Pro? and what turns num.?
If it comes to TorqueMaster I would not go below the 35T and for the Crawlmaster I have no idea as I have no experience with your motors...

What is the main difference between the 2 mentioned motors? which one is more "flexible" in terms of usage and versatility? (keeping in mind my Wraith is not a go fast track but I do not want it to be "boring"...

Many thanks in advance for your kind reply

Your gearing sounds great. I would suggest a 13t Crawlmaster or 27t TorqueMaster. The big difference is right in the name. The Crawlmaster crawls with better low end control, it is really sensitive on the low end and startup. The TorqueMaster has more torque, and also drag brake. It still crawls well enough for world class competitors, but is more of a brute force build.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #3455
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3456
RCC Addict

Good Morning
I was wondering how much longer till your 500 can crawler motors will be ready forsale?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #3457

Working on that. We are waiting for a magnet shipment, but air shipping has new restrictions we are trying to work around. Once we get the magnets there will be enough parts for a small 100pc run and they will get put into inventory.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #3458
RCC Addict

Awesome
Thanks for the update
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3459

Question John. I'm having issues with my wraith not going forward or backwards every so often it just loses power it seems. The brxl still lights green and red but the motor doesn't turn. I can tap the car and it will start again. During that time it still steers just won't move forward or backwards. So I thought loose connection but I've check all the connectors and they seem tight. Have you ever heard of this happening?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #3460

Your motor needs cleaning or reburbishing. Have you run it through water?
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM