Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #3461

No I've only drove it inside my house right now. Hasn't even been through 1 full battery pack. I just purchased your brxl and 27t rock racer motor a couple weeks ago and have been building it and trying to get it the way I want it.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #3462
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Did you specify wraith timing or set the timing for clockwise direction? If it was not timed properly it will burn the comm. Otherwise there may be something in the motor causing the hangup.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #3463

I never timed anything. All I did was install the motor and esc and have been driving it around. It has 32p 56/12 gearing in it.

I was under the impression that it came set. I bought a castle link field card but I have not hooked it up to it yet
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #3464

Motors come with zero timing if you purchase them from another vendor, or if you purchase from myself without specifying the timing or vehicle. Since many vehicles use different rotations for "forward" there isn't a standard we can lean on. Zero timing is safe, but not optimal. There is a tech tab at the top of my site with a writeup on timing brushed motors. You may just have a hung brush, hard to say without looking at it myself.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #3465

Hmm alright. What do you suggest I do with it? I just tried driving it around my basement and it won't even climb up the stairs now and before it did it easily. It seems to make some odd noises now. And it will periodically just stop going while driving it. It's in a wraith. Should I adjust the timing now with the field link card and see if that helps?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #3466
Quarry Creeper

I also posted this in the BRXL thread...here too since the OG issue started in this one I think...

Ok, here's a weird one. This is the same BRXL I bought new not too long ago that always had some resistance when trying to spin the tires by hand with the battery disconnected, but would free up when a motor wire was disconnected. John thought maybe an FET or whatever might be going bad. I didn't sweat it since it worked fine otherwise.

Sunday it started acting weird as soon as I plugged in my battery, it took more than half throttle to get going, and didn't seem like it was getting full throttle. Then it started not moving at all until I gave it a push, so pulled the brushes and made sure they were clean and not hung up. Swapped batteries and it ran like it always does. Maybe half hour later same thing, so I thought my batteries dumped early.

Today I plugged it in and the steering turns left when powered on and flashes red and beeps continuously with no throttle or steering. I did a rebind on the tx ro rx and tries to recalibrate the ESC to the tx but it won't even do that, just flashes red and beeps continuously. Any ideas? I'll email John this post and see if it needs a trip back for a treatment with his big hammer.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #3467

Pulled the motor out and it has a lot of black dust on it. I'm gonna time it now. I also remembered when I installed it. I had to select reverse in my controller under throttle selection because it went forward in reverse and vice versa.

Last edited by Dslzuk91; 01-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #3468

Pulled the motor apart. When u spin the pinion it seems to spin in notches. It doesn't spin freely and smooth. It seems to me like its rough.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #3469
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
I also posted this in the BRXL thread...here too since the OG issue started in this one I think...

Ok, here's a weird one. This is the same BRXL I bought new not too long ago that always had some resistance when trying to spin the tires by hand with the battery disconnected, but would free up when a motor wire was disconnected. John thought maybe an FET or whatever might be going bad. I didn't sweat it since it worked fine otherwise.

Sunday it started acting weird as soon as I plugged in my battery, it took more than half throttle to get going, and didn't seem like it was getting full throttle. Then it started not moving at all until I gave it a push, so pulled the brushes and made sure they were clean and not hung up. Swapped batteries and it ran like it always does. Maybe half hour later same thing, so I thought my batteries dumped early.

Today I plugged it in and the steering turns left when powered on and flashes red and beeps continuously with no throttle or steering. I did a rebind on the tx ro rx and tries to recalibrate the ESC to the tx but it won't even do that, just flashes red and beeps continuously. Any ideas? I'll email John this post and see if it needs a trip back for a treatment with his big hammer.
Good thing I read a bit and for giggles uploaded the latest firmware version, changed a few settings I've been wanting to change like more drage brake, increase the arming time and pushed it to the ESC. Damn thing works just fine now, go figure...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #3470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dslzuk91 View Post
Hmm alright. What do you suggest I do with it? I just tried driving it around my basement and it won't even climb up the stairs now and before it did it easily. It seems to make some odd noises now. And it will periodically just stop going while driving it. It's in a wraith. Should I adjust the timing now with the field link card and see if that helps?
Quote:
Pulled the motor apart. When u spin the pinion it seems to spin in notches. It doesn't spin freely and smooth. It seems to me like its rough.
Timing is only adjusted on the motor for brushed setups. Notchy spinning is normal, the motor has strong magnets and no detent reducing parts.

Take some pics of it, refresh me on what is going on, and send an email to jrh at holmeshobbies.com. From there I can help out a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
Good thing I read a bit and for giggles uploaded the latest firmware version, changed a few settings I've been wanting to change like more drage brake, increase the arming time and pushed it to the ESC. Damn thing works just fine now, go figure...
Glad to hear that helped out. Sometimes things get a bit whacky and they just need a firmware refresh to get back to normal.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #3471

Well John as of right now it's running fine. I took it apart and timed it. Should be right about 6 degrees and made some adjustments via castle link and its running good. I turned Holmes hold on and it made the motor make some strange noises. So I turned it back off and it's been good for now. Thanks for the support!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #3472
Quarry Creeper

What is the correct polarity for plugging a BRXL into a receiver? Does brown equal black and orange equal yellow?

Thanks,
Jon D.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #3473
I wanna be Dave

The darkest color is the negative.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #3474
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Hi John, I sent you an email on the 14th and have seen no reply.
Just checking you got it??
Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #3475

Quote:
Well John as of right now it's running fine. I took it apart and timed it. Should be right about 6 degrees and made some adjustments via castle link and its running good. I turned Holmes hold on and it made the motor make some strange noises. So I turned it back off and it's been good for now. Thanks for the support!!
Glad that sorted it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankbomb View Post
What is the correct polarity for plugging a BRXL into a receiver? Does brown equal black and orange equal yellow?

Thanks,
Jon D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
The darkest color is the negative.
Tis correct, brown is negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzi View Post
Hi John, I sent you an email on the 14th and have seen no reply.
Just checking you got it??
I'll look through when I get to the shop tomorrow, thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #3476
Rock Stacker

Hello John, I have a torquemaster expert 45t, I have had maybe 3 packs through at 1 hour and 1/2 each, on my forth pack it seems to have lost power and stalls out, it would get warm during crawling but not hot, now its get super hot pretty much untouchable. I have cleaned it and cut the comm and the brushes but didn't seem to help.. my specs are ae-2 and castle bec, 15t pinion 87 spur, 2.2 tsl in a 8lb Wraith. 5000 nimh venom 7.2v.. Thanks

Last edited by meinthe73; 01-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #3477

Could be a damaged coil, or the magnets got overheated and now they need zapping. If you want to send it in we can certainly take a look!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #3478
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire
Hallo John!

I would like to ask for your suggestion for a motor I want to use on my Wraith.
the use is for trailing and crawling mainly but I would like to have some wheel speed to overcome difficult obstacles when needed and also be help uphill..

As for the suggestions from Harley I am looking at the Crawlmaster PRO (maybe the 13T or even the 16T) vs. the TorqueMaster Pro (maybe 35T?)

currently I use 87T spur and 16 or 18T pinion depending on the track condition with a 55T motor brushed (I think it is roughly a 1100 Kv) on 3S.
I have the feeling I need a little bit more speed with this setup but If I gear up then I loose torque

I was thinking installing a quicker motor and gearing down maybe to 87/14 or 16 (depending on the motor)

Now, my question is, what would you recommend for my application between the Crawlmaster PRO & TorqueMaster Pro? and what turns num.?
If it comes to TorqueMaster I would not go below the 35T and for the Crawlmaster I have no idea as I have no experience with your motors...

What is the main difference between the 2 mentioned motors? which one is more "flexible" in terms of usage and versatility? (keeping in mind my Wraith is not a go fast track but I do not want it to be "boring"...

Many thanks in advance for your kind reply

Your gearing sounds great. I would suggest a 13t Crawlmaster or 27t TorqueMaster. The big difference is right in the name. The Crawlmaster crawls with better low end control, it is really sensitive on the low end and startup. The TorqueMaster has more torque, and also drag brake. It still crawls well enough for world class competitors, but is more of a brute force build.
I finally made up my mind and ordered a 13t CrawlMaster Pro 540 and can't wait for trying it on my Wraith!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #3479
Rock Stacker

ok I just got a HH Expert 35T. Now I see I have to break it in 2-3 volt run 2-3 minutes at 6 deg advanced timing. I see the timing marks now how do I move it? Just loosen up the two screws on top and rotate it?. I did read the 540 Brushed Motor Care, Installation, and Troubleshoot guide but I just want to make sure I'm doing it correct. I rotate the timing 6 deg in the opposite dirrect of forward correct?

I'm putting it in my SCX10 with Stock Axial ESC w/ CC BEC
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #3480

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5VoltDetonator View Post
ok I just got a HH Expert 35T. ..
I'm putting it in my SCX10 with Stock Axial ESC w/ CC BEC

The expert is broken in and ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimfire View Post
I finally made up my mind and ordered a 13t CrawlMaster Pro 540 and can't wait for trying it on my Wraith!

Thanks for the order!
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM