Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #981
I wanna be Dave

Dam, I'm surprised you havn't worn your multi quote button out yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #982
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin r1

hey jrh will you be carrying these or can you get ahold of them
Thanks
chad
Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #983
[HOONIGAN]

Yo JRH. I'm using some e-moli cells out of the v28 Milwaukee stuff but I'm having some issues charging them. I've got the newer version Hyperion 5i ac/dc and when I charge them as a lipo they only charge to 1900-2000 mah instead of the 2900 mah they are supposed to peak at. If I charge them as a lead acid they will peak up at 2800-2900mah but 75% of the time the cells blow up because the peak voltage is too high for the cells (they are supposed to peak at 4.2v per cell according to e-moli). Do you have any ideas on how I can get the 5i to peak them properly or know of a charger that will peak them properly?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #984

When will you getting more tekin fxr esc's?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #985

John,
I know I saw a list of chassises that the 7t will fit. I know an SW3 isn’t one of them (which I have). I’ve looked for it for so long my eyes are bleeding and I’m on information overload. Specifically the chassis I need to know about is the Edge, which I also have.
Flame me if you must, but I really tried to find it.
Also thanks for fixing my sons 7T the one he took the end cap off and couldn't get it back on, saved me a trip from AZ to California to fix it and ring his neck. Great service!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #986
Quarry Creeper

I searched this and couldn't find a answer. Will the mamba max run a Novak crawler brushless motor? Thanks for your help.

Brian
Old 07-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #987
Rock Stacker

What is the best brushless motor for a super crawler? It is a pretty big crawler with maxx long arms revo shafts maxx diff etc... and using large tires too. I have a Tekin R1 Pro to power it with up to 5S lipo.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #988
Rock Crawler

I am in the process of building a berg and have a question as this will be my first lipo setup. I have read and read till my head hurts on them, and I just wanted an experts opinion on what I've narrowed it down to. I'm going to be running 2 tekin 55t motors, tekin fxr esc, ccbec, 5955tg, hitec mighty mini for dig, on panther cougar tires. I'm not really concerned with max runtimes because this will be a comp only rig once I get used to it after a few runs. I am thinking the Hyperion EOS1210I for a charger so that I can charge the lipo as well as my 8 cell saddle pack for my ax. For the battery I was thinking any of the X-Caliber 11.1 lipos you have for sale online. Which of the 3 would you recommend. Also, I realize that there is a better Hyperion for just roughly $30 more. Since this is more than likely a one time purchase is it worth it to pony up the extra $30 and go for the big one?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #989
I wanna be Dave

Hi John,

Sent you an e-mail about a week ago with an order but no reply yet. Just trying to confirm if you got it or not (sent it to the jrh@holmeshobbies.com address) since I know some of my other past e-mails didn't make it through. Since I'm in Canada, I have to go the e-mail ordering route.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #990
Rock Crawler

I have a question about using my LBA-10 balancer (with a 5idp charger).

I have 2 unknown lipos (one 2S, one 3S)that I got secondhand, and the balancing plugs do not match up to the ones supplied with the LBA-10.

Would it be okay to pull the wires out of the adapters connector and plug them directly into the battery connector? Obviously + to +, and then the -'s to the other wires?

Pics of the 2S:

Thanks
-Destroyer
Old 07-17-2008, 01:32 AM   #991
I wanna be Dave

I posted this in electronics without a reply so I hope you can help me.
I had previously fried my rx due to reverse polarity-plugging the servo and esc incorrectly into the rx.
I bought a sidewinder esc locally (you're out of stock) and installed it, replacing a Tekin Rebel 2.

this afternoon at the park we tried to fire it up but the esc seemed to not get a signal from the rx/tx as all the lights kept blinking. there was no audible tones although this evening in the quiet I was able to hear a faint 4 tones upon turning the esc on.
since it wasnt working, and I bought the rx/tx used we tried to swap the rx with one from my friends rig (I bought the rx/tx from him used recently and it all worked fine on his sidewinder equipped rig). Plugged in his rx and with his radio were able to get it to aknowledge the signal. we then had an unrelated transmission problem so we halted work.

As of this evening I've tried everything else I can think of.
First I disconnected the rx and connected my rover rx to it. using that HItec Aggressor radio and hitec rx I tried doing the basic quick start sequence. no response from the sidewinder. I connected my rover battery to it as well. nothing. put everything back in the rover and tested the rover, which worked fine.
also tried new Hitec aggressor tx/rx, fresh out of box and the sidewinder still does the same its done all day.
all lights blink but never go out, only faint sounds, nothing else.
I would have called CC tech support but missed their hours since they're east coast. I looked on their website for FAQ and could not find anything on the sidewinder AT ALL.
this is going downhill fast...

the rig setup is as follows:
sidewinder 1/10 sport esc
GWS pico style 4 channel rx
R2 transmission
novak 55t motor "fifty-five"
towerpro mg995 steering servo
6-cell 2000mAh battery pack, fresh charge
airtronics MX-3 FM tx

where do I start looking for a possible solution?

tomorrow morning I intend to call CC tech support directly. Their website FAQ's dont help.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #992
Quarry Creeper

yeah i hav one wut r the dimensions of the axial ax10 tranny
Old 07-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #993
Rock Stacker

Default pro handwound 540s

will the new pro handwound 540 motors work with a mamba25 esc?

thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #994
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I had previously fried my rx due to reverse polarity-plugging the servo and esc incorrectly into the rx.
I bought a sidewinder esc locally (you're out of stock) and installed it, replacing a Tekin Rebel 2.

this afternoon at the park we tried to fire it up but the esc seemed to not get a signal from the rx/tx as all the lights kept blinking. there was no audible tones although this evening in the quiet I was able to hear a faint 4 tones upon turning the esc on.
since it wasnt working, and I bought the rx/tx used we tried to swap the rx with one from my friends rig (I bought the rx/tx from him used recently and it all worked fine on his sidewinder equipped rig). Plugged in his rx and with his radio were able to get it to aknowledge the signal. we then had an unrelated transmission problem so we halted work.

First I disconnected the rx and connected my rover rx to it. using that HItec Aggressor radio and hitec rx I tried doing the basic quick start sequence. no response from the sidewinder. I connected my rover battery to it as well. nothing. put everything back in the rover and tested the rover, which worked fine.
also tried new Hitec aggressor tx/rx, fresh out of box and the sidewinder still does the same its done all day.
I would have called CC tech support but missed their hours since they're east coast. I looked on their website for FAQ and could not find anything on the sidewinder AT ALL.

R2 transmission
airtronics MX-3 FM tx

tomorrow morning I intend to call CC tech support directly. Their website FAQ's dont help.

try adjusting your throttle trim, or reset the sidewinder

if the trim isn't centered it wont let you do anything till you center it
Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #995
RCC Addict

Can the cc bec be programmed with out having any other power source to it? Just being hooked to the castle link.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #996
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
Can the cc bec be programmed with out having any other power source to it? Just being hooked to the castle link.
You should be able to assuming your computer has enough power going to the BEC through the cable hooked into the USB. Some computers do not. When I use my wife's lap top to program an ESC or BEC, I have to plug in a battery. However when I use my home PC, I do not. So it just depends on the whether your computer has enough power going through the USB port.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #997
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post

I have 2 unknown lipos (one 2S, one 3S)that I got secondhand, and the balancing plugs do not match up to the ones supplied with the LBA-10.

Would it be okay to pull the wires out of the adapters connector and plug them directly into the battery connector? Obviously + to +, and then the -'s to the other wires?

Pics of the 2S:

Thanks
-Destroyer

Any info on this?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #998
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAKIMA RC RACER View Post
hey jrh will you be carrying these or can you get ahold of them
Thanks
chad
I can get ahold of them, and I may get a few in store. Right now I am waiting on the RS versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Yo JRH. I'm using some e-moli cells out of the v28 Milwaukee stuff but I'm having some issues charging them. I've got the newer version Hyperion 5i ac/dc and when I charge them as a lipo they only charge to 1900-2000 mah instead of the 2900 mah they are supposed to peak at. If I charge them as a lead acid they will peak up at 2800-2900mah but 75% of the time the cells blow up because the peak voltage is too high for the cells (they are supposed to peak at 4.2v per cell according to e-moli). Do you have any ideas on how I can get the 5i to peak them properly or know of a charger that will peak them properly?
Im not too familiar with the emoli chemistry really. I do know they should peak at 4.2v/cell, so you should be good using a normal lipo profile. it sounds like you just have a bunch of bad cells. Low mah, popping cells, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traileater View Post
When will you getting more tekin fxr esc's?
In stock now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD4CARS View Post
John,
I know I saw a list of chassises that the 7t will fit. I know an SW3 isn’t one of them (which I have). I’ve looked for it for so long my eyes are bleeding and I’m on information overload. Specifically the chassis I need to know about is the Edge, which I also have.
Flame me if you must, but I really tried to find it.
Also thanks for fixing my sons 7T the one he took the end cap off and couldn't get it back on, saved me a trip from AZ to California to fix it and ring his neck. Great service!
The only ones I know about are the chassis that yotachump is making (pretty sure the Puller fits) and the slingshot chassis. Most others wont work. Does the Edge chassis hang the motor outside of the plates? If so it probably won't work. If the motor is inside the chassis it very well may work. I have never seen one in person.

No problem on the motor rebuild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyophio View Post
I searched this and couldn't find a answer. Will the mamba max run a Novak crawler brushless motor? Thanks for your help.

Brian
It will run it, but you won't be able to crawl. You would need a sensored ESC to crawl with that motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin View Post
What is the best brushless motor for a super crawler? It is a pretty big crawler with maxx long arms revo shafts maxx diff etc... and using large tires too. I have a Tekin R1 Pro to power it with up to 5S lipo.

How big are we talking here? I would get a big old outrunner and run 5mm pinions. A 3026 scorpion would work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
I am in the process of building a berg and have a question as this will be my first lipo setup..I'm going to be running 2 tekin 55t motors, tekin fxr esc, ccbec, 5955tg, hitec mighty mini for dig, on panther cougar tires. I'm not really concerned with max runtimes ..Hyperion EOS1210I for a charger so that I can charge the lipo as well as my 8 cell saddle pack for my ax. For the battery I was thinking any of the X-Caliber 11.1 lipos you have for sale online. Which of the 3 would you recommend. Also, I realize that there is a better Hyperion for just roughly $30 more. Since this is more than likely a one time purchase is it worth it to pony up the extra $30 and go for the big one?
I would get either the 0606i or the 0610i hyperion. The balancing feature is good for using lipo.

For the batteries, you may want to use the 2200 25c 3s pack, it will not fade or get overdrawn during crawling even with a full on stall. Both the 1650 and 1300 packs I have would work too, but the margin for amp draw would be lower and the packs may not last a many cycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Hi John,

Sent you an e-mail about a week ago with an order but no reply yet. Just trying to confirm if you got it or not (sent it to the jrh@holmeshobbies.com address) since I know some of my other past e-mails didn't make it through. Since I'm in Canada, I have to go the e-mail ordering route.

Thanks!
Did we take care of this? It has been pretty hectic and I don't remember now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post

Pics of the 2S:

Thanks
-Destroyer
I wouldn't pull the pins out, you are likely to short the battery somehow. I would suggest using a different adapter. Can you measure the pin spacing? It will either be 2mm or 2.5mm between pins hopefully. It looks to be 2mm, in which case a thunder power adapter is what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post

R2 transmission
airtronics MX-3 FM tx

I'm kinda stumped on this one. It sounds like a bad ESC possibly. Did you get this resolved with Castle yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mopar View Post
yeah i hav one wut r the dimensions of the axial ax10 tranny
I don't have one handy to measure, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlercrawler View Post
will the new pro handwound 540 motors work with a mamba25 esc?

thanks
I would use the 55t with the mamba 25, but nothing faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbiss View Post
Yes, but if you have it plugged into a system you may need to plug in power so that the USB rail of your computer will keep power. I had mine wired into my ESC power wires and it wouldn't boot up for the Castle software until I plugged in a battery to the BEC.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #999
Rock Stacker

Dear JRH!

You wrote that You couldn't program the Castle Sidewinder via USB port. (It was in January) Since then did Castle Creations solved the problem?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #1000
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yes, they updated the Castle link software very quickly.
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM