Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #1081
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Here comes stupid question #2....

Rotate it how? I must be missing something. There are 2 set screws & no other holes available ... do I need to drill new holes for the screws or do I just manhandle the whole thing and the metal ring the screws go into will rotate?
Loosen the two little screws, then the endbell will rotate. It might take some force. The endbell will come off at a 45* angle from where it normally sits.

Quote:
As far as timing advance/retard...

Looking at the motor from the top, lets say that under forward power it rotates clockwise. Does that mean that rotating the endbell a hair clockwise would be advancing or retarding the timing?
That would retard the timing. Advancing the timing is just like a car, it will fire sooner. So if the motor rotates clockwise you need to rotate the endbell counterclockwise for advanced timing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #1082
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It needs to be a mini USB on the MM side, just bring the MM in to the store.

ahhh yes, i see it nowthanks for the help
Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #1083
Rock Stacker

On your Elite Packs do the wires come with plugs installed or are the just plain wire. Just ordered them and didn't think to ask before ordering it to see if i could have them installed on them thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #1084

Deans are installed.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #1085
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Deans are installed.
Thanks a ton!!!! That'll save the batts from some horrible soldering

It's not that i suck I'M just not good Thanks again for the great service/expertise you provide.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #1086
Pebble Pounder

Default Few Questions

My first question is on the noob side:
What is the difference between an inrunner and outrunner brushless?

I would also like a recommendation:
I run an Axial w/ r2D trans. No major mods otherwise. I'm running a 55t Integy right now. 8 cells nimh (and a 6 cell spare) with No plans on going to lipo yet.
I was thinking of switching to brushless-any recommendation on an esc and motor combo? My other thought was going with one of your brushed handwound (35t or 45t). I don't need a ton more wheelspeed right now, but would be nice to have more than my 55t has now.
My budget isn't very big, so please keep that in mind.
Thanks for your time, and I look forward to doing business with you.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #1087
Quarry Creeper

I have a DMG Dcv/pro chassis and I want a new setup on it. Space is very limited and im running a r2d tranny. Id like to add more power to the crawler so i can get more wheelspin. What would you recommed?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #1088
I wanna be Dave

Hey John! On an 8 cell 2/3a pack is it better to trickle charge every time or should I only do it every several charges? Also after break in what should I be charging them at? I have been charging them at 1.5amp/30mV. And for break in I have been charging them at .5amp/20mV. Does thid sound right? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #1089
Rock Crawler

When will the TorqueMaster Mini's be back in stock? And what do you think about these motors for the losi mini http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGLK3&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDV1&P=7

Last edited by tuner; 10-07-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #1090
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

JRH,

I have one of your 45t 540 handwounds, Novak XXtra, CC Sidewinder and CC BEC. I have noticed that when the truck binds badly it will sometimes just stall/freeze. The servos and throttle will freeze doing whatever they were doing (staying turned and throttle running, etc). So I'm guessing that means the RX is shutting down?

I'm running 8 cell NIMH Elite cells. DO you think it would it help me to swap to an 11.1v Lipo like one of these?:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=22&page=1

Should that battery and a Sidewinder suffice for my crawling needs with the 45t handwound?

Thanks

Last edited by Locked Up; 10-07-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceplus View Post
My first question is on the noob side:
What is the difference between an inrunner and outrunner brushless?

I would also like a recommendation:
I run an Axial w/ r2D trans. No major mods otherwise. I'm running a 55t Integy right now. 8 cells nimh (and a 6 cell spare) with No plans on going to lipo yet.
I was thinking of switching to brushless-any recommendation on an esc and motor combo? My other thought was going with one of your brushed handwound (35t or 45t). I don't need a ton more wheelspeed right now, but would be nice to have more than my 55t has now.
My budget isn't very big, so please keep that in mind.
Thanks for your time, and I look forward to doing business with you.
If you want to keep a budget, simply swapping to a 45t integy would be a great change. If you want a bit more torque too, a handwound would get you there.

A brushless inrunner spins the inside of the motor. A brushless outrunner spins the outside of the motor. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atchley View Post
I have a DMG Dcv/pro chassis and I want a new setup on it. Space is very limited and im running a r2d tranny. Id like to add more power to the crawler so i can get more wheelspin. What would you recommed?
A lower wind brushed motor will be the easiest bet, or you can add more voltage. You also have the choice of running a larger pinion. I would use voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
Hey John! On an 8 cell 2/3a pack is it better to trickle charge every time or should I only do it every several charges? Also after break in what should I be charging them at? I have been charging them at 1.5amp/30mV. And for break in I have been charging them at .5amp/20mV. Does thid sound right? Thanks for the help.
Every 10 charges it is good to trickle it around .1 or .2 amps. Otherwise it looks like you are taking great care of your pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs tunner View Post
When will the TorqueMaster Mini's be back in stock? And what do you think about these motors for the losi mini http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGLK3&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVDV1&P=7
The mini's should be in around first of next week.

The motors you linked to are too big for the losi.

Quote:
JRH,

I have one of your 45t 540 handwounds, Novak XXtra, CC Sidewinder and CC BEC. I have noticed that when the truck binds badly it will sometimes just stall/freeze. The servos and throttle will freeze doing whatever they were doing (staying turned and throttle running, etc). So I'm guessing that means the RX is shutting down?

I'm running 8 cell NIMH Elite cells. DO you think it would it help me to swap to an 11.1v Lipo like one of these?:
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=22&page=1

Should that battery and a Sidewinder suffice for my crawling needs with the 45t handwound?

Thanks

Everything sounds good actually. I would be suspect of your CC BEC dropping in voltage when you get bound up. You may try running removing the BEC and running the RX from the internal BEC power. Then add your CC BEC direct to the servo via a Y harness.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #1092
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Something like this?

When the motor draws to much power would the CC BEC still shut down? If so, wouldn't it help me to have move volts available?

Thanks for your help on all of this.

Last edited by Locked Up; 10-08-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #1093

8 cells shouldn't get that low on voltage, unless you have a bad cell in there.

Diagram looks great.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #1094
09 RCA champ!

is this the correct adapter i need to balance a flight power lipo with a 0606I charger?

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...0&cat=7&page=1
Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #1095
09 RCA champ!

also, it has options for balancer type.... XH, HP, TP, EH. what do these options mean? sorry for all the noob questions, i just want to make sure im ordering the right thing
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #1096

You want the TP type, and that is the adapter you need.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #1097
Pebble Pounder

What is a good esc and motor set up for clodbuster axles? I would like to use brushed 55 turn lathe motors. I've used an old EVX for years and now it's timem to update my electronics. Thanks
Old 10-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #1098
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

JRH,
What kind of continuous and burst amp draw should I expect out of my 45t handwound? What about to stall it?

Gearing is 87/12 w/AX10 tranny/axles if that makes any difference.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #1099

Default new set up need advice

totally new to rc building two ax 10,xtrail chassies one with f350 one fj40
need some advice on electrics thinking about novak 50 50 roster combo,hitec servo ,futba 4 channel with reciver and going lipo battery. the problem is I don't know anything about the voltage range or set up any help or suggestions would be appericated thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstrbetle View Post
What is a good esc and motor set up for clodbuster axles? I would like to use brushed 55 turn lathe motors. I've used an old EVX for years and now it's timem to update my electronics. Thanks
A single mamba max or sidewinder would do for dual 55t motors.

Quote:
JRH,
What kind of continuous and burst amp draw should I expect out of my 45t handwound? What about to stall it?

Gearing is 87/12 w/AX10 tranny/axles if that makes any difference.
At full stall a motor will continue to rise in amp draw until either the battery or motor smokes. You could very well see 80 amps or more before stuff got hot. Very doubtful you would get much beyond 40 amps before parts broke however.

For continuous, you will actually use about 2 amps on average. For the battery rating (my guess at what you actually want to hear), I would choose a battery with 30 amps continuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dago crawler View Post
totally new to rc building two ax 10,xtrail chassies one with f350 one fj40
need some advice on electrics thinking about novak 50 50 roster combo,hitec servo ,futba 4 channel with reciver and going lipo battery. the problem is I don't know anything about the voltage range or set up any help or suggestions would be appericated thanks

The rooster is limited to 7.4v. You could get a fairly small battery for the setup, something capable of 25 amps continuous would be enough. Everything else sounds great!
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM