Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #1181
Pebble Pounder

Got my Sidewinder and 45t HHH, installed them and the servos glitch like crazy. Did not change anything else in my setup, just replaced the Rooster Crawler and Reedy 55t. CCBEC powers directly the 645 and 225 servos and their signal comes via SR3000 rx. This setup finally worked glitch free with the Novak and 55t. Tx is a DX3 and the battery is a 2s lipo. Setup was made with the link.

What I was wondering about was the capacitors on the 45 HHH. I cant see any. Website says "Onboard Surface Mount Capacitors – Helps eliminate unwanted radio interference caused by electric motors." Are they inside the endbell?

edit: tried the setup with a capacitor ("glitch buster") on the bat slot of the rx, it helped a bit. Only glitches when approaching WOT.

Last edited by trainer; 11-17-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #1182
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
ordered my torquemaster mini last friday for my MRC, i will be flipping the tranny when i install it and need to learn how to zero or reverse the timing, also which of those two would you suggest is better ? TIA
I have been setting the timing to zero on all recent orders, I shall change my website to reflect this.

Zero timing is good all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
Got my Sidewinder and 45t HHH, installed them and the servos glitch like crazy. Did not change anything else in my setup, just replaced the Rooster Crawler and Reedy 55t. CCBEC powers directly the 645 and 225 servos and their signal comes via SR3000 rx. This setup finally worked glitch free with the Novak and 55t. Tx is a DX3 and the battery is a 2s lipo. Setup was made with the link.

What I was wondering about was the capacitors on the 45 HHH. I cant see any. Website says "Onboard Surface Mount Capacitors – Helps eliminate unwanted radio interference caused by electric motors." Are they inside the endbell?

It may be the CC BEC throwing off interference. Is the Sidewinder BEC powering the RX? The Torquemaster motor has the capacitors on a little green board on the endbell. Do you see one there?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #1183
Quarry Creeper

I just placed an order since the fxr is still on sale. I hope it gets here by friday, there's a comp on saturday
Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #1184
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It may be the CC BEC throwing off interference. Is the Sidewinder BEC powering the RX? The Torquemaster motor has the capacitors on a little green board on the endbell. Do you see one there?
BEC worked perfectly with the Rooster, Sidewinder powers the ESC. That green board was something I was expecting, but seems like the caps are not there. Here's a pic of the caps in Reedy, nothing in the 45t.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #1185

You got shorted the board! Must have had one slip through production with the wrong endbell or something. Yeah, some caps would help.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #1186
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You got shorted the board! Must have had one slip through production with the wrong endbell or something. Yeah, some caps would help.
Well, I suppose it's off to the LHS or local radio shack tomorrow...

unless you have an extra endbell with caps you could send me... I've had bad luck with external caps before.

Last edited by trainer; 11-17-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #1187
RCC Addict

[quote=JohnRobHolmes;1432003]I have been setting the timing to zero on all recent orders, I shall change my website to reflect this.

Zero timing is good all around.

thats perfect, this is by far the best thread here on this board. i will need a hitec 645 and i know where to go. thanks john
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #1188
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

John,
What rating Lipo do you recommend for someone running 2 of your 540 handwounds (45t) on a Berg?

Last edited by Locked Up; 11-20-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
Well, I suppose it's off to the LHS or local radio shack tomorrow...

unless you have an extra endbell with caps you could send me... I've had bad luck with external caps before.
I don't have any, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
John,
What rating Lipo do you recommend for someone running 2 of your 540 handwounds (45t) on a Berg?

Something with at least 40 amps continuous would be your best bet. A 20 or 25C 2200 pack is what I run.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #1190
RCC Addict

JRH i have an ax10 i would like to change my stock bec an esc out to after market electrics. I have a axial 55t motor i'm running. i'm also wanting to go lipo, your help and expertise will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #1191
I wanna be Dave

John,
Have you ever tried a 7T Puller with 4s LiPo???

I know when you originally launched them it was 12v max.

Have you ever pushed it to see if it can handle the extra???

It will be for a crawler so it wouldn't be full on all the time.

Let me know your thoughts.

John
Old 11-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #1192
RCC Addict

i got an 1100 mah lipo for my MRC, do i just change the plugs and use it or do i need a new ESC or something else? i have your MTM and am planning to get the hitec 645 and a servo arm for the latter. any info and parts suggestions would be a big help. TIA
Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #1193
Quarry Creeper

JHR,

Im thinking of running my Cobalt 7T with my FXR, will I be able to run 3s lipo or would it be safer to stick to 2s with this combo?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #1194
Quarry Creeper

What is the kv rating of your 5pole motor vs a 55t?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #1195
Quarry Creeper

Default Burned up my torquemaster mini

I forgot to zero the timing when I installed my Torquemaster Mini motor into my flipped trans MRC. Now it's not working very well. It stalls out from time to time and needs a push to get going again. Is it fixable? Do I just need new brushes?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #1196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
JRH i have an ax10 i would like to change my stock bec an esc out to after market electrics. I have a axial 55t motor i'm running. i'm also wanting to go lipo, your help and expertise will be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU.
A tekin FXR or Castle Sidewinder is the most popular ESC with lipo cutoff. I recommend a 2200 20C lipo or higher rated. The Castle BEC is your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
John,
Have you ever tried a 7T Puller with 4s LiPo???

I know when you originally launched them it was 12v max.

Have you ever pushed it to see if it can handle the extra???

It will be for a crawler so it wouldn't be full on all the time.

Let me know your thoughts.

John
I haven't tried it. If you watch the heat it would be fine, but of course the motor will wear out faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
i got an 1100 mah lipo for my MRC, do i just change the plugs and use it or do i need a new ESC or something else? i have your MTM and am planning to get the hitec 645 and a servo arm for the latter. any info and parts suggestions would be a big help. TIA
You should get an ESC with lipo cutoff. That is all you need really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
JHR,

Im thinking of running my Cobalt 7T with my FXR, will I be able to run 3s lipo or would it be safer to stick to 2s with this combo?
It is pushing it pretty hard. Although possible, the FXR will heat up quite a bit. It really boils down to how you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky0068 View Post
What is the kv rating of your 5pole motor vs a 55t?
Which one, the cheap one? I think they are 250kv or something, very slow. The 55t is 1000kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
I forgot to zero the timing when I installed my Torquemaster Mini motor into my flipped trans MRC. Now it's not working very well. It stalls out from time to time and needs a push to get going again. Is it fixable? Do I just need new brushes?
The comm and brushes need a cut.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #1197
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes

The comm and brushes need a cut.
I don't have a motor lathe. Can I cut the comm on a normal machine shop lathe? How much should I take off? What about the brushes, just cut them flat on the wear end? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #1198

yep, a normal lathe works fine. Cut off just enough to removed the burned part. I generally mark the comm with a sharpie and just take off the ink. You can use 250 grit sandpaper to the brush face.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #1199
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I don't have a motor lathe. Can I cut the comm on a normal machine shop lathe? How much should I take off? What about the brushes, just cut them flat on the wear end? Thanks.
Quote:
yep, a normal lathe works fine. Cut off just enough to removed the burned part. I generally mark the comm with a sharpie and just take off the ink. You can use 250 grit sandpaper to the brush face.
Thanks for the info and the quick reply!! 8-)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 PM   #1200
Quarry Creeper

Well I got my fxr & 500 motor on friday, installed them the night before the comp. Needless to say I stayed up a little too late but got it dialed & it worked great. Thanks JRH!, love that motor & esc. I was wondering if I need the optional "outrunner" motor plate (ax10 trans) for my motor or is it a different size altogether?
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM