Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #2441
RCC Addict

What esc/motor combo would you recommend for a heavy (axial based) 2.2 TTC rig? I was leaning towards your br-xl 7t or 14t combo but wasn't sure if there was a better choice. It will be seeing mud and water, so I also wanted to know about when your mold for waterproofing would be going again. Also, do these low turn puller motors drain the batteries quick? Thanks for your time John, Kevin LaBeaume
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #2442
Pebble Pounder

Default esc's

I am running a Berg w/45t Intg. motors JR9100T servo on a TP 850mah 45c 3s lipo. I want to go with duel ESC's. Can I run brushed motors on the Mamba micro pros? I thought about using FXR's or maybe 2 BR-XL's.(Micros are small and take up less space) Curently I am running your
BR-XL and a Punk dig. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #2443
Pebble Pounder

Hi John,

When will the TorqueMaster Sport motors 45T be back in stock?
I need two of them.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #2444
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
What esc/motor combo would you recommend for a heavy (axial based) 2.2 TTC rig? I was leaning towards your br-xl 7t or 14t combo but wasn't sure if there was a better choice. It will be seeing mud and water, so I also wanted to know about when your mold for waterproofing would be going again. Also, do these low turn puller motors drain the batteries quick? Thanks for your time John, Kevin LaBeaume
The 7t would be good on 2s and 3s on a limited basis. The 14t would be great for 3 to 6s. They are power hogs, but it would be the perfect combo for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg1rc View Post
I am running a Berg w/45t Intg. motors JR9100T servo on a TP 850mah 45c 3s lipo. I want to go with duel ESC's. Can I run brushed motors on the Mamba micro pros? I thought about using FXR's or maybe 2 BR-XL's.(Micros are small and take up less space) Curently I am running your

Thanks,
Neil
I would recommend the FXRs over the micros if space is the biggest concern. The micros will take it, but I just don't recommend them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodstreepje View Post
Hi John,

When will the TorqueMaster Sport motors 45T be back in stock?
I need two of them.

Thanks,
Steven

Hopefully within a few weeks here. I have had an outstanding order for more motors for almost three months now.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #2445
Rock Stacker

Hi John

I was just wondering if the puller combos have shipped yet.

thanks jim
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #2446

Once ESCs are in stock they will. It will be around wednesday.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #2447
Pebble Pounder

Default duel esc's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg1rc

Thanks,
Neil

Quote:
I would recommend the FXRs over the micros if space is the biggest concern. The micros will take it, but I just don't recommend them.

John,
Is there a specific reason why you would not recommend the micro pro?
I love my BR-XL, but running 2 in my beetlejuice may cause space issues. Will you be coming out with an esc with a smaller footprint for those of us that want to run duel esc's in our narrow chassis?

Thanks,
Neil

Last edited by nsg1rc; 01-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #2448
Rock Crawler

Default A package deal?

Will you offer me on a package deal with matched pair of handwounds and your speed controls?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #2449
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
At Holmes Hobbies, our customer support is what built the business. Although we like to build and develop new products for crawling, answering your questions is really our first passion. We have been here for 6 years and counting, and you won't find us disappearing when you need us the most.

This is a thread just to ask random questions about your order, any setup you have, what you are thinking about, or whatever may cross your mind.

Ask away!
Will you offer a package deal for a matched set, speedcontrols and batteries?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg1rc View Post
John,
Is there a specific reason why you would not recommend the micro pro?
I love my BR-XL, but running 2 in my beetlejuice may cause space issues. Will you be coming out with an esc with a smaller footprint for those of us that want to run duel esc's in our narrow chassis?

Thanks,
Neil
The micro pros are only using two high side and two low side FETs when used in brushed mode. Only two FETs are active at one time. If you get into a bind with a 540 motor there is a strong chance that it can overload it fast. Although they work, I like to be "safer" with my recommendations.

I am working on a smaller ESC, but it will still be a while in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Will you offer a package deal for a matched set, speedcontrols and batteries?
We will be offering a combo deal on the ESCs, but we do not have full package combos at this time. Once I get my website rebuilt it will be possible, but right now we cannot keep inventory proper with such combos with many items involved.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #2451
Quarry Creeper

Default Best Xr set up

I want to order the best xr10 set up I can and have a few ?s

I would like to run 2 of your esc with the best motors you have for them.
Will I need to add extra caps like the fxr do and will I still need to hook up a ccbec for my servo at 7.4v

Thanks this has most likey been asked numerous times on this long thread thanks for any recommendations so I can get ordering. Gerry
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #2452
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=JohnRobHolmes;2851215]The micro pros are only using two high side and two low side FETs when used in brushed mode. Only two FETs are active at one time. If you get into a bind with a 540 motor there is a strong chance that it can overload it fast. Although they work, I like to be "safer" with my recommendations.

I am working on a smaller ESC, but it will still be a while in the making.

In the mean time would I be able to run my BR-XL and a Sidewinder I have sitting in my box together. I also have a CC bec sitting around, would I need to use that as well or will the br-xl bec do fine.

Thanks again,
Neil
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #2453
Quarry Creeper

Hey John, I have a Crawlermaster outrunner and the shaft is really long and it's causing me some grief. Just wondering if this is normal on these motors?

I'm thinking I will just trim it down?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #2454

Neil,

The brxl internal BEC should be fine unless you are building a 10lb rig or using a servo much over 300 ounce inches.

Sniper,

Just trim the shaft down. They were made a bit long for some of the newer "tight" fitting chassis designs. If you screw up I have replacement shafts here.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #2455
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Sniper,

Just trim the shaft down. They were made a bit long for some of the newer "tight" fitting chassis designs. If you screw up I have replacement shafts here.

Will do, Thank You John
Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #2456

Hey John... I guess I need a recommendation on a replacement motor. My daughter managed to cook a 35T sport within about 10min last night in the snow. Its too bad as it had less than an hour on it and she really let the smoke out...

I have a 2 speed summit tranny with 17t on stock summit spur mounted on my SCX10. It was a 3S but I run a 4S as well with a MM Pro. I guess I will have to go smaller in the pinion but would like to keep the wheel speed for the kids.

Any recommendations what might make a better fit?

Thanks, Rusty
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #2457

I think I may have sent you an email about this? I think I responded somehow anyway.

Running in the snow can be really hard on a motor, no matter what it is. I would always recommend gearing down if possible, but of course that makes the vehicle have less float. There really isn't a good setup for snow running that isn't just throwing a bigger motor at it for better thermal mass, or gearing down the motor and running wider tires for better float at lower wheelspeeds. I would almost say that you should go with a non sensored brushless system. While it won't have the low speed creep of a brushed system, it will handle the higher loads of bogging in the snow much better.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 AM   #2458
RCC Addict

Would I be alright using mamba micro's with 16t 454's or would I need FXRs? Or better yet would I be better off waiting for you new smaller esc? This will be in a mid 4 pound rig I'd think.

Thanks
Kieren
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 AM   #2459

You should be fine with the mamba micro pros. I don't have a release date for my own micro ESC.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #2460
RCC Addict

Ok thanks Would it be possible for you to produce 'crawler' firmware for the mamba micro, with the holme's hold? Or is that not possible due to the ESC being made by castle not you?

Thanks again
Kieren
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM