RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Holmes Hobbies (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/)
-   -   (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/89829-hh-tech-questions-customer-support-thread.html)

JohnRobHolmes 10-26-2007 03:30 PM

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

At Holmes Hobbies, our customer support is what built the business. We have been serving customers on RCC since 2005, but for best service please direct questions to our email as we cannot always reply to threads here. This thread is archived for a really long tech read!

This is a thread just to ask random questions about your order, any setup you have, what you are thinking about, or whatever may cross your mind.

Ask away!

Kranberry 10-26-2007 05:29 PM

just a few:lol:

cobalt puller.
1. will it work fine with an xrs.?
2 will it be fine with 7.2 volts?
3.how much does it weigh compered to a integy lathe?

other questions.
1. which caps. do i get for motors?
3. how much voltage can i push with my tekin 2?

JohnRobHolmes 10-26-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net (Post 897992)
just a few:lol:

cobalt puller.
1. will it work fine with an xrs.?
2 will it be fine with 7.2 volts?
3.how much does it weigh compered to a integy lathe?

other questions.
1. which caps. do i get for motors?
3. how much voltage can i push with my tekin 2?

Cobalt Puller
1. The 10t cobalt puller on 6 cell nimh would work fine on an xrs as long as you dont overgear or overweight the rig. Most 2.2s will be fine.
2. 7.2 volts is plenty
3. The Puller weighs 6.5 ounces, which is 3/8 of an ounce or about 11 grams.

1. I am not up to snuff on motor capacitors. I will research it.
3. The tekin 2 is good up to 10 cells, but the BEC goes weak after 8 cells.

JRH

Kranberry 10-26-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 898114)
Cobalt Puller
1. The 10t cobalt puller on 6 cell nimh would work fine on an xrs as long as you dont overgear or overweight the rig. Most 2.2s will be fine.
2. 7.2 volts is plenty
3. The Puller weighs 6.5 ounces, which is 3/8 of an ounce or about 11 grams.

1. I am not up to snuff on motor capacitors. I will research it.
3. The tekin 2 is good up to 10 cells, but the BEC goes weak after 8 cells.

JRH

thanks john

yea if i do get the cobalt it will go in my 1.9 scaler.its way light but has a tiny trailer.
cool iam gonna amp ut to 8 cells:twisted:

chip cross 10-27-2007 02:59 AM

I see a very great thread starting up thanks JRH "thumbsup"

brushlessnut 10-27-2007 10:33 AM

im going to be putting quarks in my super with 1000kv c/m 6t pinions a 3s lipo..what quark should i get the 33,66, or the 86 or whatever it is? truck is about 12lbs i would like to be sure im not im not going to over load the esc's

JohnRobHolmes 10-27-2007 10:49 AM

The 33's would be just fine. They can take quite a bit of abuse actually. If you wanted to use them in other vehicles like a fast basher or stadium truck you would want a larger ESC. For just crawling duties or 1/18th scale vehicles the 33 procar is perfect.

_BEN_ 10-27-2007 11:00 AM

Right now the castle bec looks to be the best one.

Any info on this unit by Quark?
http://www.quarkbrushless.com/pro_acc.htm

JohnRobHolmes 10-27-2007 11:03 AM

The quark BEC is $40 for 5v output at something like 5 amps out. Almost half the price, twice the power, the Castle BEC is the best out right now.

rcracer 10-27-2007 11:59 AM

Hi John, super idea on this thread!!

what product that you have would you recommend running (brushless) in a AX-10?

gearing?
esc/motor combo?
runtime?

I will be running your saddle pack NIMH, most likely 8 2/3a cells 1500 elite

thank you

eric113 10-27-2007 07:22 PM

John while back thur pm's I was talking to you about m.m. and drag brake and I had told you I updated the software on my computer to the current version3.01 and you said to to go 1.07 I search all over c.c. website for the 1.07version and I could not find it.

Also just wanted to make sure, but for a brushed motor what should the settings be just to get a base line? Then I tweak it from there.

_BEN_ 10-29-2007 12:44 PM

While filling out my profile on your site there is a "sign up for membership" option under username & password options.
What is that? "Not member, Premium, Wholesale, sponsored"

JohnRobHolmes 10-29-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcracer (Post 898763)
Hi John, super idea on this thread!!

what product that you have would you recommend running (brushless) in a AX-10?

gearing?
esc/motor combo?
runtime?

I will be running your saddle pack NIMH, most likely 8 2/3a cells 1500 elite

thank you

The Crawlmaster and Quark 33 or Mamba max is a great combo, but you would need to shim your diff up a tad and possibly trim your gearbox to clear the motor. You could also use a slightly larger spur gear. As for gearing, as low and slow as possible is always my recommendation. The Revolver Blacks work great, but they will be out of stock for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric113 (Post 899096)
John while back thur pm's I was talking to you about m.m. and drag brake and I had told you I updated the software on my computer to the current version3.01 and you said to to go 1.07 I search all over c.c. website for the 1.07version and I could not find it.

Also just wanted to make sure, but for a brushed motor what should the settings be just to get a base line? Then I tweak it from there.

It is 1.07 for the mamba max, or 1.09 for the new version. The Castle update software is 3.01, so you have it correct. When you plug your MM into the computer, the last tab on the window is for changing your firmware.

Brushed motor:

no punch control
100% drag
normal timing
max startup power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _BEN_ (Post 900884)
While filling out my profile on your site there is a "sign up for membership" option under username & password options.
What is that? "Not member, Premium, Wholesale, sponsored"

Those are just different membership types for the site. I moderate those. Wholesale is reserved for other business to buy in bulk from the site, premium I don't use, etc.

_BEN_ 10-29-2007 02:13 PM

Thanks John, I placed my order.

TIMZKRAWLER 10-29-2007 02:39 PM

hi JRH...i have the rooster crawler rated at 7 cells(8.4) and i'm running the axiom 55t...could i get away with running your 8 cell 2/3 packs for the ax10...thanks for the help

JohnRobHolmes 10-29-2007 03:01 PM

It will be pushing it of course, and I wouldn't recommend it. You could probably get away with it though.

BrandonW 10-29-2007 03:54 PM

hello john,

im looking for a lipo setup for my axial scorpion. im using a mamba 25 esc and a BM9 outrunner from tcs.

id like to go with a 2 cell 7.4 lipo pack anywhere from 1000mah to 4000 mah. i want it to be as light and small as possible. (cheap too)

i will also need a charger that can charge it and the correct banancer. im not too familiar with lipos so i appreciate any help you can give me.

im looking for the cheapest system i can find. thanks

brandon

hotwheels000 11-01-2007 12:09 AM

JRH, did you recieve the motor ? Have you had a chance to send the other one out ? I havnt recieved it yet.

Thanks,

Devlin

JohnRobHolmes 11-01-2007 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob_superman (Post 901193)
hello john,

im looking for a lipo setup for my axial scorpion. im using a mamba 25 esc and a BM9 outrunner from tcs.

id like to go with a 2 cell 7.4 lipo pack anywhere from 1000mah to 4000 mah. i want it to be as light and small as possible. (cheap too)

i will also need a charger that can charge it and the correct banancer. im not too familiar with lipos so i appreciate any help you can give me.

im looking for the cheapest system i can find. thanks

brandon

For a rather inexpensive lipo, the vislero 1300s are a great bet. I don't have the two cell ones in stock right now, I don't know where you could get them. Honestly I don't mess with cheap chargers or lipos much, you would be better off searching ebay for that sort of thing as I am not familiar with the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels000 (Post 905056)
JRH, did you recieve the motor ? Have you had a chance to send the other one out ? I havnt recieved it yet.

Thanks,

Devlin

I did get it earlier this week, and your motor will be shipped out tomorrow. It has been a helluva week for me. ;-)

Roobforme 11-01-2007 02:04 AM

Hey John,

Like the Q&A thread. And here's my question. Has there been anyone you know of that had problems with your Crawlmaster with an R2d trans. I'm looking at using this setup on my 2.2 build. Thanks."thumbsup"

dorji 11-01-2007 02:16 AM

hey John,

I hope you can help me. I did a savage brushless conversion with a bk 9920 and a feigao 7xl motor. I am running the mechanical brakes with this set up:). The problem is that I can not get the 9920 esc to work with the y-harness going to the servo for the brakes:x. Have you used these speed controls before?

Also I was wondering if the mamba max would be able to handle the y-harness and the feigao 7xl? Also how many cells can the mamba max handle?
Thanks for your time and any help you can offer,
Sam"thumbsup"

YoUnG_vErSiOn 11-01-2007 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorji (Post 905107)
hey John,

I hope you can help me. I did a savage brushless conversion with a bk 9920 and a feigao 7xl motor. I am running the mechanical brakes with this set up:). The problem is that I can not get the 9920 esc to work with the y-harness going to the servo for the brakes:x. Have you used these speed controls before?

Also I was wondering if the mamba max would be able to handle the y-harness and the feigao 7xl? Also how many cells can the mamba max handle?
Sam"thumbsup"

sam,
the mamba max can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.i heard that thing can run with constant 100amp loads and i wanna say its good to well above 14.4 volts. might get hot though. Also did you ever con sider mixing your thrird channel? then you can set up you r mechanical brake w/ delay so you can disable the brake and reverse. it doe however mattre what kind of control you use, it has to have a 3rd channel mixing function. hope this helps. John i dont remember what all of the specs are for running brushless/lipo. so you should be able to help with this matter.

Tipilot 11-01-2007 09:38 PM

Sir Holmes.

"thumbsup"When will the 6cell saddles be available again. Need another pack ASAP. Thanks.

dorji 11-01-2007 11:47 PM

Thanks Kila,
I got it connected to my hitec crx right now but maybe I'll try it out on the dx6 and see if that works."thumbsup"
If not, then it's gonna get a Mamba Max:)

YoUnG_vErSiOn 11-02-2007 12:15 AM

if you wanna try a dx3 to see how it works you can borrow mine.

hotwheels000 11-02-2007 12:24 AM

Thanks JRH, cant wait to get the wheels spinning

MOCRAWLER 11-02-2007 06:37 AM

John, I am building GC-1 with an R2D tranny. What motor and esc combo do you suggest? Also I want a tg5955 servo.Do I need a programmer for it? I hope not:shock:. I'm gonna be using lipo batteries if that matters. XOXO:shock:

JohnRobHolmes 11-02-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorji (Post 905107)
hey John,

Sam"thumbsup"

I haven't used the speed controller before, but you should not have a problem with the ESC hooked into a Y harness. I would double check the polarity and make sure everything is plugged in properly.

The mamba max could handle that setup, 12-14 cells max. You would need to get a RX pack or external BEC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by young_version (Post 905126)
sam,
the mamba max can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.i heard that thing can run with constant 100amp loads and i wanna say its good to well above 14.4 volts. might get hot though. Also did you ever con sider mixing your thrird channel? then you can set up you r mechanical brake w/ delay so you can disable the brake and reverse. it doe however mattre what kind of control you use, it has to have a 3rd channel mixing function. hope this helps. John i dont remember what all of the specs are for running brushless/lipo. so you should be able to help with this matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipilot (Post 906310)
"thumbsup"When will the 6cell saddles be available again. Need another pack ASAP. Thanks.

Im not sure if the cells have gotten through customs yet, I will update the thread as soon as I get a solid date on it.

JohnRobHolmes 11-02-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER417 (Post 906748)
John, I am building GC-1 with an R2D tranny. What motor and esc combo do you suggest? Also I want a tg5955 servo.Do I need a programmer for it? I hope not:shock:. I'm gonna be using lipo batteries if that matters. XOXO:shock:

A 55t motor or crawlmaster would work well, with the mamba max ESC. You dont need a programmer for the robot servo, but you will need to a radio with endpoint adjustment.

TWISTER 11-02-2007 03:31 PM

The 8 cell 2/3a saddle pack arrived today and it looks great!
I want to it perform to its fullest potential with my current charger, which is a Wattage something Sport. I read that the pack should be charged at around 0.1 amp for the first few charges. The problem is my charger charges at a minimum of 1 amp on the NiMh setting, BUT it charges at .1 amp (the A is italicized, so im not sure if its amps, but what else could it be?) on the lowest Lithium setting.
So, what I'm wondering is if i can charge the pack on the Lithium setting, or if it will get damaged.:?

JohnRobHolmes 11-02-2007 03:41 PM

It wont charge properly on a lithium setting. 1 amp will be ok. You could also trickle charge it if that is an option.

TWISTER 11-02-2007 05:14 PM

Sweet, thanks for the fast response!:)

ratterd 11-02-2007 07:29 PM

Need instuctions

I received my kool becs yesterday . I need some instuctions on how to hook them up. Also one of the packs was open and the two wire pigtail was missing.

MOCRAWLER 11-03-2007 08:27 AM

John, Whats the difference between the 5955tg geared and the 5955tg robot servo's . apparently i bought a nomadio sensor last night. I hope that radio will work:)

Kranberry 11-04-2007 07:47 PM

when i bought my tq3 my antenna was was wrapped up on a piece of plastic with supper glue holding it on and some of the wire has been some what stripped on the outside.
would it be possible to cut it and add some wire?

this is what it looks like. these pics are kinda big so iam gonna put in links.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018862
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018860
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018861

JohnRobHolmes 11-05-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratterd (Post 907691)
I received my kool becs yesterday . I need some instuctions on how to hook them up. Also one of the packs was open and the two wire pigtail was missing.

The ESC plugs into the female RX plug, the male rx plug goes into the receiver. Plug in the BEC to the battery and the rig will turn on. You don't need the two wire pigtail by any means, but I can send you one from the next batch if you want it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOCRAWLER417 (Post 908403)
John, Whats the difference between the 5955tg geared and the 5955tg robot servo's . apparently i bought a nomadio sensor last night. I hope that radio will work:)

Those would be the same servo, your radio will work very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net (Post 910049)
when i bought my tq3 my antenna was was wrapped up on a piece of plastic with supper glue holding it on and some of the wire has been some what stripped on the outside.
would it be possible to cut it and add some wire?

this is what it looks like. these pics are kinda big so iam gonna put in links.
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018862
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018860
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7018861

As long as you keep the wire the same length you are ok. You could also just re insulate the wire with shrinkwrap.

Kranberry 11-05-2007 08:02 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it finally broke off today:x. how long is a antenna wire?

JohnRobHolmes 11-05-2007 08:03 PM

Dont know. It would be cheaper to just get a new RX, if you include your time to resolder and find a new antenna. Any 27mhz am antenna should work though.

Kranberry 11-05-2007 08:07 PM

so no normal small wire would work?

JohnRobHolmes 11-05-2007 08:29 PM

A small 22awg wire could possibly work, but Im really not up to snuff on tuning radios to the antenna. I have always just bought what the company recommended or sold as a replacement.