Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture
Loading

Notices

Thread: Just ordered a venture

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I've checked it out in person and watched it crawl, agreed seems to be good.



You made a good choice, but I'm a little biased. I know the Ascender is a great truck, the Venture looks to be a great basis to start with too, but time will tell.



Yes, I was disappointed in the plastic links too especially at this price point, but they can be replaced. Ascender steering servo is 161 oz/in and if you replace the output shaft bushing with $2 bearing from AvidRC it will last couple years (I finally replaced my first one because I wanted to) but it works. Ascender axle gears originals had problems, but the quickly released improved gears have been fine on 3s for me. I've checked out the HPI Venture in person and watched it crawl, agreed seems to be good. Keep us updated.
The Savox 1210wp servo @ 319oz/in torque @7 4v is a direct drop in. Servo horn bolts right on. (Futaba spline) I changed the esc just because the hobbywing 1080wp allows bec voltage adjustment from 6.0v or 7.4v @ 3.0amps. I plan on keeping mine brushed anyways. The radio receiver can handle 7.4v. So 7.4v @ 3amps for the Savox should be OK. Being winter here in Michigan I can't really put it through its paces, but I can't wait! Shocks are very nice! I have no reason to change them. As of now I want to change the wheels.....somthing for some bling. Which leads me to wanting to add weight, yeah I could break the bead and add lead to the stock wheels. But hell......may as well personalize it! Lastly I'm looking to get a Holmes hobbies 550 21turn motor and scale asscesories. I want no shortage of torque. But I gotta find out how that will be on 3s. Want to make sure I have enough wheel speed. All in all you don't have to do everything I'm doing, but I'm making the truck my own and that's what this hobby is about!

Last edited by dwblue00; 12-27-2017 at 12:48 AM.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corruptifornia
Posts: 12,107
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

21T 550 motor on 3S with WP1080 is great imo. Dooo eet.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:11 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
21T 550 motor on 3S with WP1080 is great imo. Dooo eet.
I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on 1.
How's the wheel speed for trailing on 3s?
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:35 AM   #24
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 1,659
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Ascender steering servo is 161 oz/in and if you replace the output shaft bushing with $2 bearing from AvidRC it will last couple years (I finally replaced my first one because I wanted to) but it works.
That's the AvidRC MR106, 6x10x2.5mm open cage bearing found here, right Nate?

http://www.rcbearings.com/products/m...5-bearing.html

You can also find a pack of 4 on eBay for under $4 shipped from China here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ftr...aring&_sacat=0
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #25
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,538
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

I didn't know this came with plastic links. Absolutely inexcusable at $400!!! HPI really isn't interested in staying in business...

Does it come stock with the HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #26
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 825
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Nope, I think it comes with the same esc the ascender comes with. On the links, eh, not inexcusable to me considering you actually get shocks that are decent and an all metal drivetrain.

Last edited by JDM74; 12-27-2017 at 08:06 AM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Jato the Ripper it comes with a re-branded hobbywing just like the ones axial and everyone else use. It has quality everywhere else. The plastic links are not terrible like the axials were. Just one of many cost saving measures companies do.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #28
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,538
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Nope, I think it comes with the same esc the ascender comes with. On the links, eh, not inexcusable to me considering you actually get shocks that are decent and an all metal drivetrain.
The Ascender comes with all of that for $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
Jato the Ripper it comes with a re-branded hobbywing just like the ones axial and everyone else use. It has quality everywhere else. The plastic links are not terrible like the axials were. Just one of many cost saving measures companies do.
Oh his photo showing the 1080 had me fooled.

Axial's AE-5 is not a HobbyWing 1060.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

If you read my other posts, I put the 1080 in for the tuning characteristics and for the HV servo. No worries though, I did make it look like factory install.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #30
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: your back yard
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't know this came with plastic links. Absolutely inexcusable at $400!!! HPI really isn't interested in staying in business...

Does it come stock with the HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC?
No it comes with #SC 3sWP3 ESC.
All rtr come with plastic links so I don't see why you expect hpi too. Personally feel price is reasonable for what you get compared to others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #31
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,538
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
All rtr come with plastic links...
Wrong.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:23 AM   #32
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: your back yard
Posts: 1,305
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Wrong.
Oh my bad, I guess I didn't realize. Shame on HPI. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #33
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 825
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Ascender comes with all of that for $400

Axial's AE-5 is not a HobbyWing 1060.
My bad the ascender comes with shocks that might not leak but has the wrong fluid/orifice plates. FYI, my plastic ascender shocks started leaking after about 5 runs. I ended up spending 80 bucks on the aftermarket vaterra ones in the end.

I have had all major brands and all trucks. From the original philips head screw scx10 dingo all the way up to this one and the TRX-4. They all have cost cutting measures. Itís up to you to decide what is valuable to you. Personally, between the venture and the ascender links are easy to change as apposed to living with the crappy axle gear reduction for life. Lol.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #34
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,538
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
My bad the ascender comes with shocks that might not leak but has the wrong fluid/orifice plates. FYI, my plastic ascender shocks started leaking after about 5 runs. I ended up spending 80 bucks on the aftermarket vaterra ones in the end.

I have had all major brands and all trucks. From the original philips head screw scx10 dingo all the way up to this one and the TRX-4. They all have cost cutting measures. Itís up to you to decide what is valuable to you. Personally, between the venture and the ascender links are easy to change as apposed to living with the crappy axle gear reduction for life. Lol.
Most RTR shocks leak unless you rebuild them. No big deal. Mine were still going strong when I "upgraded" them to the aftermarket aluminum Vaterra shocks. The aluminum ones are worse and I'd never recommend them.

The axle gear ratio in the Ascender is an overstated problem that's easily rectified.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #35
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 825
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

No worries, a big selling point to me was the fwd mounted motor and divorced transfer case. I think that is a really cool setup and maybe why I can look by the plastic links. Letís be honest, none of these rigs stay stock for long and half the fun is upgrading them.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #36
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,538
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
No worries, a big selling point to me was the fwd mounted motor and divorced transfer case. I think that is a really cool setup and maybe why I can look by the plastic links. Letís be honest, none of these rigs stay stock for long and half the fun is upgrading them.
That divorced setup is why I keep contemplating purchasing one! I agree that it's awesome.

All RCs are cool. All of them have shortcomings out of the box. That's why we build them to suit our needs.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

No worries with the transfer case. It has big 32pitch metal gears. I know for a fact, because I opened mine up and put some marine grease in it.
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave
 
Natedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corruptifornia
Posts: 12,107
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on 1.
How's the wheel speed for trailing on 3s?
Perfect imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
That's the AvidRC MR106, 6x10x2.5mm open cage bearing found here, right Nate?

MR106 Bearing, 6mm x10mm x2mm Ball Bearing, 6x10x2 Bearings

You can also find a pack of 4 on eBay for under $4 shipped from China here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ftr...aring&_sacat=0
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That divorced setup is why I keep contemplating purchasing one! I agree that it's awesome.

All RCs are cool. All of them have shortcomings out of the box. That's why we build them to suit our needs.
X2
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

Some Toyota love! 2 bada$$ Yota!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: east michigan
Posts: 269
Default Re: Just ordered a venture

My Venture getting her flex on!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Just ordered a venture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 05:55 PM
My HPI Venture is on it's way... QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 11-29-2017 05:58 PM
Kit Ordered, Parts Ordered, Suggestions??? OkinawaCrawler Tamiya XC/CC01 6 02-21-2014 10:52 AM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 06:35 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com