Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Just ordered a venture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just ordered a venture

I ordered 1 yesterday from Amain in gunmetal. I should have it by Friday. Looking forward to checking it out. It's about TIME HPI!
dwblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Just ordered a venture

I just ordered one as well. I wont have mine until after Christmas though. Hopefully they have good parts support, I feel like I'm taking a bit of a gamble on it. If they don't, I'll just have to bastardize it with axial parts!
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:30 AM   #3

I got one about three weeks ago, up graded it with a Castle Creations crawler combo with Mumba x and 3800kv crawler motor. It will need a new servo the one in it is very weak. I'll get some pic soon.
It seems to be a good thing so far.
yeahright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I want a Venture because I am always eager to check out the new trucks on the market but I know it would end up sitting on a shelf most of the time.

I really need a time share Venture where I can have the truck for like a month to tear it apart and drive it a few times before passing it on to the next person.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Look forward to seeing and hearing about yours once you get it. I've always had a thing for hpi since the savage 4.6 was my first rig into my rc addiction. I'm hoping it catches on with lots of aftermarket but either way I will be picking 1 up in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ordering up one shortly!!
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I already ordered a Savox 1210 water proof servo for mine. I also have a hobbywing 1080wp replacing the stock esc as well. Now just have to wait for it and see if my 4000mah lipo fits the battery tray
Old 12-21-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The guy i know that have been driving one for a month i am not sure if he did any hardware upgrades on it yet, he did say he just wanted a excuse to get a new body, which on every outing have turned his car into a target for any other car with a strong bumper or a driver that just dont care if he ruin his body too by bumping the HPI.

Myself i have not been out driving for a while, the heavy K5 body just kill too much off road performance making it worse than a TRX4 in that regard.
So i am inclined to sit at home moping until i get the power wagon body and get the mods on my SCX10.2 done to accommodate that body.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I like that the shocks look short and are mounted directly over the axles to make room for BTA (behind the axle) steering linkage! Wonder what it takes to fit a 550 21 Titan motor in there.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've got one on order also. Should be here next Friday. Merry Christmas to me. I like the behind the axle tie rod. Should allow proper ackermann. I've got BTA steering set up on one of my old SCX10's and it made a world of difference.

Last edited by JDM74; 12-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'm curious, intrigued, and very interested in a Venture BUT.......
We all know about HPI's past with their support and their replacement parts supply chain. I was about to switch gears and hold off on the Ascender F-100 and go with one of these but I think I'll hold off till spring/summer and just pop in from time to time check things out in here and wait to see if HPI truly has their company turned around.
The aftermarket will be there, but there are parts that will be only offered by HPI and that make me worry....I just don't want to be like people I personally know with HPI rigs that have been sitting on a shelf for a long time because of lack of OEM specific parts to fix their broken rigs.

The only things I see wrong with the Venture is the weak servo, lack of cvd's/uni's and the plastic links. Otherwise I think they have a winner on their hands and cannot wait to see what everybody does with them. Just need to add some nice beadlocks and some PL Class-1 Hyrax tires or the PB PBX's. IMO I think the smaller diameter tires look the best on this rig.

Last edited by ScoJac; 12-22-2017 at 05:57 AM.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

Congrats! I really should have preordered them when they could be had for $330. At $400, and no coupons allowed, I'm not biting.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I just got my venture in gunmetal. Upgraded the servo esc and my 3s 4000mah lipo fits. Took it out for a run in the snow.....its awesome!
Old 12-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm gonna say if your on the fence about this truck don't be. It's awesome and built very well!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblue00 View Post
I'm gonna say if your on the fence about this truck don't be. It's awesome and built very well!
Here's mine and pics. I'll try to post pics of hop ups off box for part numbers.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here's mine and pics. I'll try to post pics of hop ups off box for part numbers.

Here's upgrades off box and part#s

Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I love this truck. I looked very closely at one but the weak servo and plastic links turned me towards the ascender ultimately today. But I'm still wondering if I made the right choice
Neil2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:22 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2704 View Post
I love this truck. I looked very closely at one but the weak servo and plastic links turned me towards the ascender ultimately today. But I'm still wondering if I made the right choice
I think you did. ;) Which Ascender did you get? I noticed that was your first post. I'm guessing you're new to RC?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 12-26-2017 at 10:53 PM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The plastic links are OK. They are a little flimsy. The servo is only 90oz/in. Of torque. Any RTR truck has a crappy steering servo in my opinion. The servo saver arm on the servo doesn't appear to be a issue as of yet. I know the biggest issue with the ascender is the weak axle gears. Like I said.....if your on the fence about this truck, don't be. It's a good quality truck. Don't be surprised that upgrades from HPI will be slow and coming. However, I don't foresee any real issues as of yet. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another 1.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've checked it out in person and watched it crawl, agreed seems to be good.

Quote:
You made a good choice, but I'm a little biased. I know the Ascender is a great truck, the Venture looks to be a great basis to start with too, but time will tell.

Quote:
The plastic links are OK. They are a little flimsy. The servo is only 90oz/in. Of torque. Any RTR truck has a crappy steering servo in my opinion. The servo saver arm on the servo doesn't appear to be a issue as of yet. I know the biggest issue with the ascender is the weak axle gears. Like I said.....if your on the fence about this truck, don't be. It's a good quality truck. Don't be surprised that upgrades from HPI will be slow and coming. However, I don't foresee any real issues as of yet. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another 1.
Yes, I was disappointed in the plastic links too especially at this price point, but they can be replaced. Ascender steering servo is 161 oz/in and if you replace the output shaft bushing with $2 bearing from AvidRC it will last couple years (I finally replaced my first one because I wanted to) but it works. Ascender axle gears originals had problems, but the quickly released improved gears have been fine on 3s for me. I've checked out the HPI Venture in person and watched it crawl, agreed seems to be good. Keep us updated.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Just ordered a venture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 04:55 PM
My HPI Venture is on it's way... QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 11-29-2017 04:58 PM
Kit Ordered, Parts Ordered, Suggestions??? OkinawaCrawler Tamiya XC/CC01 6 02-21-2014 09:52 AM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 05:35 AM