RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Venture (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-venture/)
-   -   HPi Venture ..Slow it down (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-venture/599017-hpi-venture-slow-down.html)

BL4Z3 05-24-2018 08:36 PM

HPi Venture ..Slow it down

Ok Im saving up for another crawler & the venture is my choice ,..In the mean time Im shopping for things I want to replace ,..I like to do slow crawling , every vid I have seen of this thing seems to show lots of wheel spin & speed , I dont need it to go any faster than I can walk , I want very precise slow speed crawling control , Can anyone tell me what pinion gear combo will achieve that ? I also have a light kit with turn signals :) interior kit coming, & read that apparently some people seem to like this servo ,.. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Power-HD-LW-...53.m2749.l2649 I have a set of beadlocks with some cipak tires already , if they will fit ,...I think I have a cc BEC around here somewhere ,.if I will need one I dont know ,..I figure that should all be a pretty good start to have on hand when I finally get the truck in a couple months or so ,..finances willing ,..

JDM74 05-24-2018 08:42 PM

Re: HPi Venture ..Slow it down

Stock pinion will get you slightly faster than walking speed at WOT with the stock 35t motor.

BL4Z3 05-25-2018 06:55 AM

ok so maybe the vids I have seen ,it has not been in crawler mode or something ,..it just seems like when I see it crawling , it looks like someone is trying to slowly squeeze the throttle & the thing is lurching & jumping forward over rocks ,rather than slowly smoothly crawling ,..I know in my scx 10 I changed the gearing & got it to be real slow & precise on the low end throttle control

JDM74 05-25-2018 08:01 AM

Yeah, you got a link to these videos you’re watching?

Rcdood 05-25-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL4Z3 (Post 5835461)
it just seems like when I see it crawling , it looks like someone is trying to slowly squeeze the throttle & the thing is lurching & jumping forward over rocks

Some people dont know what trottle control is "thumbsup"

QuesoDelDiablo 05-25-2018 12:16 PM

I run stock gearing on 3S and I find the venture has really good low speed control. Better than my 10.2 does even...

Fallen 05-25-2018 05:12 PM

I run my Venture on 2S (don't know the discharge rating), and the top speed with the stock gearing is just slightly faster than my natural walk speed.

Low speed control seems very precise to me with the stock gearing. I also prefer slow, precise, painstakingly boring crawling. The type of crawling during which I'll probably never break anything on this rig. If I wanted to rock bounce, I'd build a rock bouncer, but this is a crawler, so that's what I do with it. I'm very happy with the stock gearing for that.

BL4Z3 05-25-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM74 (Post 5835481)
Yeah, you got a link to these videos you’re watching?

There was quite a few , I didnt save them or anything , I was looking specifically at stock condition rock crawling ,... so I guess it could be that maybe the esc wasnt in crawl mode on many of those videos? I dunno just something I took note of ,..there was a video that appeared to show some really slow crawling ,..but then the guy said he actually slowed down the speed of the video ,..lol so I dunno any others that I did see that showed real slow rock crawling were not with the stock esc , motor ,.or I assume gearing either ,..So figured Id ask & you all could straighten me out on it :)

QuesoDelDiablo 05-28-2018 10:15 AM

I think you're just seeing bad drivers and bad videographers. Low speed control is top-notch in the stock set-up.

And, there's no such thing as "crawl mode" in the esc.

Traulus 05-28-2018 10:32 AM

Save some money for some proper servo

MikeTheLawnGuy 01-02-2019 08:56 AM

I know this is an old thread but wondering if you got the slow crawl speed issue worked out. I don't agree that its all bad drivers as my SCX10.2 is way more controllable at a slow crawl than my Venture. It gets up against an obstacle and you slowly tip in the throttle until it jumps forward rather than crawling over it.

JatoTheRipper 01-02-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTheLawnGuy (Post 5896889)
I know this is an old thread but wondering if you got the slow crawl speed issue worked out. I don't agree that its all bad drivers as my SCX10.2 is way more controllable at a slow crawl than my Venture. It gets up against an obstacle and you slowly tip in the throttle until it jumps forward rather than crawling over it.

There are so many things that come into play. The quality of the transmitter, ESC and motor. The ability to program said transmitter and ESC also come into play. And then your gearing and the turns on the motor all factor into it.

What electronics are in your SCX10 II?

JDM74 01-02-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeTheLawnGuy (Post 5896889)

Check the X-case for smooth non-binding rotation. Mine was binding slightly because of a deformed case and exhibited the exact same issues described here.

BL4Z3 01-13-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5896893)
There are so many things that come into play. The quality of the transmitter, ESC and motor. The ability to program said transmitter and ESC also come into play. And then your gearing and the turns on the motor all factor into it.

What electronics are in your SCX10 II?

That is what I would like to know ,...before I buy one , still haven't gotten around to it ,.. is what ,..if anything ,..has to be changed for precise low speed control & scale crawling ,..I know with my scx10 I just changed the pinion gear so when I come up to an obstacle & just barely ,.slowly squeeze the trigger ,...it will super slow crawl over it ,...not lurch forward too fast or jerky ,..so can the venture do that out of the box ? or what needs to be changed for slow precise low speed crawls with no jerky response ?

JatoTheRipper 01-14-2019 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL4Z3 (Post 5900559)
That is what I would like to know ,...before I buy one , still haven't gotten around to it ,.. is what ,..if anything ,..has to be changed for precise low speed control & scale crawling ,..I know with my scx10 I just changed the pinion gear so when I come up to an obstacle & just barely ,.slowly squeeze the trigger ,...it will super slow crawl over it ,...not lurch forward too fast or jerky ,..so can the venture do that out of the box ? or what needs to be changed for slow precise low speed crawls with no jerky response ?

I bought my Venture used, but it was never ran. But it did not include the stock electronics so I can't comment on those. I installed a HobbyWing WP 1080 ESC and it's pretty smooth for a budget ESC. Most people have no complaints. For more ESC tuning and the ability to tune the curve you'll need to spend some more money and get something like the Castle Mamba Micro X ESC.

I have no doubt the Venture can be made to crawl as smoothly as any SCX10 II.

QuesoDelDiablo 03-04-2019 08:25 AM

I still feel the same as previously that there is no issue here.

I've run my 10.2 and my Venture side by side and absolutely saw no discernible difference.

But if there is anything to it, I would look at the stock electronics. Or drop a couple teeth off the pinion.