Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > HPI Venture

Notices

Thread: Tires: Balancing scale and performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #1

Default Tires: Balancing scale and performance

So while the BFG K02s have actually let me down in real life, it appears that's what HPI used in their 1st place Recon G6 Enduro run for 2017. And they will probably look great on the car.

Will these pro-line K02's let me down in R/C like they have in real life, or are they a winner?

https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...ruck-tires.asp

How about the Baja's while I'm at it?
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...emory-foam.asp
^^ These are 4.71 O.D. so I'm not actually even sure they would fit :(

Anything else that is a good balance of scale looks and performance?

Thanks!
bouldergti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tires: Balancing scale and performance

I really like the scale look of Axial tires, and the r35 compound aint that bad, but not the best out there. Put some decent foams in them, and they do pretty good for what they are.

EDIT: I do wanna try the new Pittbull Braven Berserker tires, comes in that alien compunds wich is nice.

Last edited by Rcdood; 07-27-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Depends on the surface you want to run them.Check out the new Hyrax Predator compound, they are so nice,or check the flat iron from proline
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

They ain't scale but personally flat irons can do no wrong.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I prefer scale good performing tires, not the giant 4.75" 1.9 tires of late. Those BFGs look great and I've heard are good on rocks, but obviously not as good on loose dirt, sand or mud.

Tire performance depends on terrain and foams used more than anything. 1.55 Braven Berserkers are great on my TF2, but the don't do as well in loose dirt and mud as Swampers, but that's a given.

Vaterra Swampers and RedCat 1.9 Swampers are both about same size (4.5" tall) and very scale.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R made by RC4WD are excellently performing tires off road, and scale looking to boot.

They come in 2 sizes for 1.9 wheels, and the 4.19 size almost exactly matches the stock Venture tire in width and outside diameter.

The compound is nice for rocks, and the open, deep tread pattern works very well in sand and loose dirt. They come with nice foams too.

I can't really speak to longevity though, as I only have 2-3 battery packs on mine. I've mounted them to plastic Axial wheels and aluminum Chanquish wheels, with no problems.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #7

I personally love the Duratrax Deep woods CR, great tires.
Pythonmsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

As a complete tire buying degenerate, I can offer my insight.

The Proline KO2s work better than I thought they would but dry and hard packed terrain are really where they are the best. I assume that doesn't exactly describe the local terrain around Pittsburgh.

The Pitbull Braven Ironsides are great in pretty much any condition even if they don't look that aggressive. I ran them on slick clay in between water and mud and was genuinely amazed they never lost traction on even steep climbs. The Pitbull 1.55 Growlers are a long time favorite of 4.19 inch tires and I feel the Ironsides have outperformed my Growlers in nearly every situation. The downside is even though the Ironsides are listed as 4.19 inches tall, they are noticeably shorter than other 4.19 inch tires I own.

RC4WD MT-Rs and DC Extreme Countrys in the X2S3 compound work very well, much better than any of the older RC4WD compounds. The MT-Rs are a great scale tire in terms of looks and performance while the Extreme Country performs great, it is really wide for a small tire and looks off.

The 4.19 KLR ATs are good but I haven't been completely impressed with them. They look scale enough for something that isn't a licensed tire, the proportions are good, and they are definitely taller than the average 4.19 inch tire. I don't think they are bad but they don't live up to the hype of the Voodoo fans.

The #1 tire on my must buy list right now is the Proline 4.19 KM3s. Proline tires never fail to perform (and I own 6-7 sets of them) and the scale look of the whole PL BFG series is pretty spot on.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tires: Balancing scale and performance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting the Best Performance out of your tires Rock Concepts Videos! 0 12-08-2016 12:18 PM
Class 1 tires and performance ARChadchiver Tires and Wheels 6 04-28-2015 09:07 PM
Scale Performance parts! Locked Up Locked Up RC 10 02-06-2012 09:08 AM
RC4WD's New X2 SS Compound for Scale Tires with Performance Rckcrwlr 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 10-02-2011 01:11 AM
Any suggestions balancing tires on my SCX10?? kodiakman624 Axial SCX-10 12 12-09-2009 02:25 PM