Default Re: Jato The Ad Venture

Venture is looking pretty sweet!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
When I look at your FJ in those picks it's taking all my will power not to call my local shop and have them order me one.
Do it!

If I'm remembering your name correctly from RC Tech you are new to crawlers. I'm not sure what you have in your stable of scalers, but this is an awesome addition.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #103
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do it!

If I'm remembering your name correctly from RC Tech you are new to crawlers. I'm not sure what you have in your stable of scalers, but this is an awesome addition.
I use to have an SCX10, Yeti and AX10 but they where pretty much for show only and I did a of pics with STRC components on them. I also have a Traxxas Telluride. Right now I only have my Ascender but this one is to actually crawl with. I don't get into mud and stuff like that but at least my Ascender I use and enjoy. The new Venture from reading seems very nice overall and other than needing CVD's the truck is pretty bullet proof otherwise. I just really like the overall layout of truck so maybe during this winter and especially if I don't race too much this winter I will get one ready for spring time. Will see what goes on this indoor season.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #104

Quote:
I use to have an SCX10, Yeti and AX10 but they where pretty much for show only and I did a of pics with STRC components on them. I also have a Traxxas Telluride. Right now I only have my Ascender but this one is to actually crawl with. I don't get into mud and stuff like that but at least my Ascender I use and enjoy. The new Venture from reading seems very nice overall and other than needing CVD's the truck is pretty bullet proof otherwise. I just really like the overall layout of truck so maybe during this winter and especially if I don't race too much this winter I will get one ready for spring time. Will see what goes on this indoor season.
I love my Ascender too! It's long been one of my favorite crawlers.

I wish I lived closer to Bumps! I got hooked on the racing when Railyard opened in Elverson. I raced SC and buggy. And then it closed and my racing career went with it.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #105
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I love my Ascender too! It's long been one of my favorite crawlers.

I wish I lived closer to Bumps! I got hooked on the racing when Railyard opened in Elverson. I raced SC and buggy. And then it closed and my racing career went with it.
Yeah having to travel far sucks. How about the new place TAP in Williamstown, NJ. Not sure you know about that place but if not it's indoor off road with a small indoor crawling area. Not a bad place to go. They should be fairly busy this winter.

Railyard wasn't a bad place and honestly if the owner would of done a few things differntly and listened to a few people on track layout and especially the drivers stand I think he might of been ok and been around longer. I also think he rented way too much of that building when he honestly only need 1/2 of what he had as the shop itself had more dead space. than needed. I liked it because it was a place to race Sat at an hour away and then Sun at Bumps which is 15 minutes for me. I'm actually now at Pit STop Hobbies in Mt Joy Pa and help as needed. Joey takes care of me now so I buy almost all my stuff from him. Without Joey I would of quit R/C all together once Bumps closed.

Bumps is suppose to reopen sometime in October as someone is leasing the building and going to run off road and oval again. Will see because I know me and most of the others who use to help Chris the original owner are not going to for the new people mainly because where all burn out after 7 years. Be interesting to how it goes.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #106

Quote:
Yeah having to travel far sucks. How about the new place TAP in Williamstown, NJ. Not sure you know about that place but if not it's indoor off road with a small indoor crawling area. Not a bad place to go. They should be fairly busy this winter.

Railyard wasn't a bad place and honestly if the owner would of done a few things differntly and listened to a few people on track layout and especially the drivers stand I think he might of been ok and been around longer. I also think he rented way too much of that building when he honestly only need 1/2 of what he had as the shop itself had more dead space. than needed. I liked it because it was a place to race Sat at an hour away and then Sun at Bumps which is 15 minutes for me. I'm actually now at Pit STop Hobbies in Mt Joy Pa and help as needed. Joey takes care of me now so I buy almost all my stuff from him. Without Joey I would of quit R/C all together once Bumps closed.

Bumps is suppose to reopen sometime in October as someone is leasing the building and going to run off road and oval again. Will see because I know me and most of the others who use to help Chris the original owner are not going to for the new people mainly because where all burn out after 7 years. Be interesting to how it goes.
I've heard of TAP, but never been there. Same goes for Pit Stop and Bumps.

I agree - the owner of the Railyard drove it into the ground. He didn't want feedback and he was often miserable.

Bumps was sold?! I hadn't heard that.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #107
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've heard of TAP, but never been there. Same goes for Pit Stop and Bumps.

I agree - the owner of the Railyard drove it into the ground. He didn't want feedback and he was often miserable.

Bumps was sold?! I hadn't heard that.
Right now Chris still owns Bumps. Right now it's going to be just a lease of the building and the hobby shop. Maybe if it does well for the new guy he would think about not leasing and actually buying it as I heard his parents are loaded so maybe outright buying could be an option but will see how that goes.

Pit Stop is mainly 1/10th scale racing outdoors. Track other than weather is very well groomed and maintained. Joey and help work very hard to make it a great place. They do run some 1/8th buggy if the guys bring them. A little small for them but the layout is great for all classes and fair for all abilities of drivers.

TAP is nice indoor track and clay reminds of a grayish pottery type clay. Only your tires get dirty as the rest of the car stays super clean. They have a small crawler area that while racing there next time I will mess around some with my crawler to kill some time between rounds.

Bumps is indoors and has oval and off road. If they keep it the same oval will be Saturdays and off road on Sundays.

A new place in Mt Joy for the winter is HOD Banquet which is a small 50x50 indoor turf off road track at a friend of mines golf course. Will be able to get food as the club house will be open so it will be pretty neat little setup.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:55 AM   #108

I was looking all over for my NIB Savox SB-2290 servo. I couldn't find it anywhere at home so I took to Flickr to find photos of the box to know exactly what I was looking for. That is when I realized it's in my HPI Venture. I'm losing my mind. Anyway, the Venture will have to be sacrificed for the Rock Rey build. That means I'm looking for a new servo for the Venture.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I was looking all over for my NIB Savox SB-2290 servo. I couldn't find it anywhere at home so I took to Flickr to find photos of the box to know exactly what I was looking for. That is when I realized it's in my HPI Venture. I'm losing my mind. Anyway, the Venture will have to be sacrificed for the Rock Rey build. That means I'm looking for a new servo for the Venture.
Can't go wrong with the Pro Modelers

The 2 different ones I have are awesome
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Pro Modelers

The 2 different ones I have are awesome
I haven't purchased one of those yet. They seem to be overkill, especially in terms of price, for a light truck like the Venture though. I'm leaning towards the Savox SA1230SG.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I haven't purchased one of those yet. They seem to be overkill, especially in terms of price, for a light truck like the Venture though. I'm leaning towards the Savox SA1230SG.
I have Savox in my AE T6 and AE B6. They are the Cab Black Editions and are awesome servos for the price. I recommend them all the time at the indoor carpet track. You need a good strong quick servo for off road carpet racing.

I figured I would get the Savox for me TRX4 since I have had great results. Unfortunately I was wrong. The one in my TRX4 is a dog. Noisy struggling to recenter and just no balls what so ever.

I picked up the PM 360 and oh hell yes. Only running it at 6 volts and it has no issues at all. It's actually in me other TRX4 which is heavier than the first one. Would recommend it all day long. When a PM 460 popped up in the sale section new in box for $75 I was all over that.

These are just me experiences I know everyone is different. When it comes to rating things I am very honest about what I have or have tried.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #112

Quote:
I have Savox in my AE T6 and AE B6. They are the Cab Black Editions and are awesome servos for the price. I recommend them all the time at the indoor carpet track. You need a good strong quick servo for off road carpet racing.

I figured I would get the Savox for me TRX4 since I have had great results. Unfortunately I was wrong. The one in my TRX4 is a dog. Noisy struggling to recenter and just no balls what so ever.

I picked up the PM 360 and oh hell yes. Only running it at 6 volts and it has no issues at all. It's actually in me other TRX4 which is heavier than the first one. Would recommend it all day long. When a PM 460 popped up in the sale section new in box for $75 I was all over that.

These are just me experiences I know everyone is different. When it comes to rating things I am very honest about what I have or have tried.
I have a bunch of experience with Savox in racers, bashers and scale crawlers. They are annoyingly buzzy, but otherwise I've never had an issue. The PM 360 is only $50, but it has a lot less torque than the Savox 1230...not that the Venture needs 500 oz-in.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a bunch of experience with Savox in racers, bashers and scale crawlers. They are annoyingly buzzy, but otherwise I've never had an issue. The PM 360 is only $50, but it has a lot less torque than the Savox 1230...not that the Venture needs 500 oz-in.

My choice will be the PM.
Way above in the gear quality. I would bet it doesn’t chatter like that 1230.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-20-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: missing gears
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
My choice will be the PM.
Way above in the . I would bet it doesn’t chatter like that 1230.

Hang up and Drive

Yes, but 500 oz-in and .16s vs 290 oz-in and .18s at 6V. 290 oz-in, even in a Venture, is kinda anemic for my liking.

I'll think about it some more.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes, but 500 oz-in and .16s vs 290 oz-in and .18s at 6V. 290 oz-in, even in a Venture, is kinda anemic for my liking.

My race Savox are whisper quiet. That is one reason I decided to pick up another. I am very disappointed with it. Maybe I got a bum Friday 3:59 put together servo.

Comparing the two side by side the PM blows the Savox out the water. All I can suggest is pick one up and give it a try.

I know 500oz is overkill for the Venture but it's nice to have that extra power. We could also debate this over and over again.

On to a new topic
As I stated before I don't have a Venture but highly interested in getting the build kit. My question is are about the shocks.
Are the shock bodies the same diameter as other brands or are they bigger than say Traxxas or Axials? Also are the springs bigger than what is standard on others?
From the pictures I have seen they look like big bore springs.

Any information is much appreciated
Old 12-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I'm running my older PM420 in my VS4.

Much to my surprise, it was too fast at 8.4v where I normally run.
I dropped it DOWN to 6v to slow it up
Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #117

Quote:
My race Savox are whisper quiet. That is one reason I decided to pick up another. I am very disappointed with it. Maybe I got a bum Friday 3:59 put together servo.

Comparing the two side by side the PM blows the Savox out the water. All I can suggest is pick one up and give it a try.

I know 500oz is overkill for the Venture but it's nice to have that extra power. We could also debate this over and over again.

On to a new topic
As I stated before I don't have a Venture but highly interested in getting the build kit. My question is are about the shocks.
Are the shock bodies the same diameter as other brands or are they bigger than say Traxxas or Axials? Also are the springs bigger than what is standard on others?
From the pictures I have seen they look like big bore springs.

Any information is much appreciated
I appreciate your feedback on the servos. I have to decide what I want.

They shocks are similar in size to the TRX-4 shocks which probably means they are close to the size of the Big Bores. I can get you photos or dimensions of the Venture shocks if you'd like. Let me know what information you need.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #118

I picked up the much needed and long, long, long awaited universals from HPI.

Here they are out of the bag which is always mo better. They are a completely tool-less design. The cross pin is held in place by the bronze colored ring. That bronze is very pretty, but sadly you'll never see much of it.

Here is one assembled next to the stock dogbone and output drive.

I decided to go with the Savox 1230 servo. .16 seconds and 499.9 oz-in of torque @ 6V is tough to beat for $70.

I picked up this servo tool from HobbyKing. It is very handy. I wish you could plug a LiPo directly into it, but you have to plug an ESC into it (with LiPo attached obviously) for the power source. This helps center the servo.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #119

This 1230 servo is replacing the Savox 2290 that I had in this truck so the servo horn and spacers were just reused. Here you can see the servo and universals installed.

The universals are awesome. They give this truck a ton of steering as expected. I really can't think of anything else that this truck needs. I'm anxious to get it out on the trails for a long run!

And top views because you can never have to many photos.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Honest answer

Scx10.2 or this chassis?
Builders kits are a toss up, which will last on a 3s revolver is the question. I know the Axial weak list, what’s this ones achilles ?

Hang up and Drive

Tags
crawler, hpi, jato, scale, venture

Jato The Ad Venture - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my hpi venture ghost97ta HPI Venture 24 05-02-2020 11:25 PM
MT Venture TAT76 HPI Venture 51 01-29-2020 12:32 AM
Dabbler got a Venture FJ! johnnyluv HPI Venture 24 10-08-2018 04:14 PM
The venture is here! Jfrisch01 HPI Venture 127 03-06-2018 07:34 PM
Another venture. aubie Chit Chat 6 12-25-2005 05:35 AM